Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580 ex ii and an annoying roll of paper

loydall
755 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 21, 2010 16:38 |  #1

I did a shoot yesterday and used a 580exii as a back light. The recycle time on it was way too slow. I was also using a 430ex through a softbox and it recycled really quickly but the 580 ex ii took forever. I had it on 1/1 power - will that cause the massive delay?

Also - I used a roll of paper on a background stand for a white background. Thing is, the roll kept on unwinding until I had a big pile of paper on the floor - how do you stop the paper unwinding? It's just the standard white background from calumet.

5d Mark II + whatever lenses I have on the day..
Photography (external link)
|
Food (external link)

sponsored links
Marshal.F
295 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 21, 2010 16:43 |  #2

Well the more power the flash uses the slower the recycle time will be because it needs more time to charge back up.

Canon 50D with grip/ Tamron 17-50mm f2.8/ Canon 70-200 f2.8/ Canon 85mm f1.8
http://www.wix.com/mf0​23235/marshalf (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photosbymarshal (external link)
http://marshalf.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 21, 2010 16:47 |  #3

loydall wrote in post #9842477 (external link)
I had it on 1/1 power - will that cause the massive delay?

bad batteries? if its on manual it should be using the same output regardless at 1/1 at eval mode, its going to depend on what the camera says its needs to do to light up the subject to properly expose it, and if its dark around it its gonna use a ton of power.

fresh enelopes, alkalines and/or a battery pack will rule out the power issue.

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

loydall
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 21, 2010 17:06 |  #4

I tried a load of batteries with it and got some good quality batteries but it probably still took 10-15 seconds to recharge where my 430ex took about 2 seconds

5d Mark II + whatever lenses I have on the day..
Photography (external link)
|
Food (external link)

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 21, 2010 17:43 |  #5

Get a clamp from the hardware store to clip on the paper roll. One of the "A" shaped squeeze clamps work great.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2010 17:50 |  #6

If you were shooting at full power then you are putting a serious strain on your batteries. If they were partially drained it wouldnt take much to run them down. You dont mention what setting you had the 430ex on but if it were half or less it would recycle quicker.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2010 17:53 |  #7

loydall wrote in post #9842627 (external link)
I tried a load of batteries with it and got some good quality batteries but it probably still took 10-15 seconds to recharge where my 430ex took about 2 seconds

A properly working 580EX II set to manual mode, full power 1/1 (with fresh NiMH batteries) will recycle in just 3 seconds.

If you are not getting 3 seconds, your batteries are bad, or your flash is broken.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2010 20:23 |  #8

I had a 580ex that take a very long time to recycle (if its even happen), so found out it was broken, so serviced it at Canon and its normal again.
So, maybe your flash needs to be serviced (or of course, could be bad batteries).

karfeef
333 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2010 02:51 |  #9

r.e. the paper unwinding, you need clips from a DIY store, like these (external link) but maybe a little bigger.

Canon 500d | Canon 28-135mm IS USM | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 18-55 IS Kit | 2x Canon 430ex

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 25, 2010 14:40 |  #10

Home Depot Sell's those A Clamps.

The are usually on the ends of isle's and only cost a buck.

They have green handles and have a lot of holding pressure...

-Mario

Gear List

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 26, 2010 08:10 |  #11

dwarfcow wrote in post #9842517 (external link)
bad batteries? if its on manual it should be using the same output regardless at 1/1 at eval mode, its going to depend on what the camera says its needs to do to light up the subject to properly expose it, and if its dark around it its gonna use a ton of power.

????

The ambient light has NO bearing on how much flash power is needed, just the flash-subject distance (coupled with the ISO and f-stop)

Regardless, if you're at 1/1 in Manual, the camera isn't deciding ANYTHING.

To answer the first question, 1/1 can take a bit long to recycle, even if the batteries are fresh. As the batteries become depleted, 1/1 recycle times get even slower. I try to avoid using full power. 1/2 power is MUCH better in terms of recycle time/battery drain.

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 27, 2010 01:56 |  #12

egordon99 wrote in post #9874287 (external link)
????

The ambient light has NO bearing on how much flash power is needed, just the flash-subject distance (coupled with the ISO and f-stop)

Regardless, if you're at 1/1 in Manual, the camera isn't deciding ANYTHING.

To answer the first question, 1/1 can take a bit long to recycle, even if the batteries are fresh. As the batteries become depleted, 1/1 recycle times get even slower. I try to avoid using full power. 1/2 power is MUCH better in terms of recycle time/battery drain.

i said the power output on manual at 1/1 will always be the same, but on eval mode (Evaluative through the lens) the power output will depend on distance from the camera, and the relative reflectiveness of surrounding bouncing surfaces; i.e. which could change the amount of time required to recycle.

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

sponsored links

1,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
580 ex ii and an annoying roll of paper
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.