Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about the future of EOS...

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 24, 2010 23:39 |  #1

I was thinking about various things that people fiddle with everyday that Canon could work into future bodies to make life easier. They have begun by adding the Max ISO setting to the T2i, but I feel they could do so much more...

1. Focal length / shutter speed binding. this C. Fn. would measure the current FL of the lens and set the shutter speed to match that when shooting Tv mode. another C. Fn would set the x factor, so you could shoot 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc x the FL of the lens you're using. this would auto-compensate for crop bodies.

2. Variable aperture / ISO speed binding. this C. Fn. would take into consideration the variable aperture nature of your lens and adjust the ISO as necessary so that, when in M, your exposure would not be affected by zooming in/out.

Both of these could be programmed to work with all lenses, or just Canon lenses, to further encourage consumers to purchase only Canon equipment, similar to the way PIC works only with Canon lenses.

Would you be interested in seeing these features in future bodies? what other features?

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links
cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 25, 2010 02:05 |  #2

I am smarter than my camera...
I don't trust it to make its own decisions... hence the reason I have a dslr...

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2010 02:08 |  #3

I wish there was an customizable auto iso setting combined with both Tv and Av mode,

For Tv, it would work like I would set the max and min apertures, if it needs to exceed that, it changes iso instead. If it is able to obtain exposure within the min and max I set, it will always use the lowest iso.

Same for Av only I set a min and max shutter speed.

Does Canon already have this feature? I don't really own any super modern bodies so I am not really up to date with the latest and greatest.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 25, 2010 02:21 |  #4

cccc wrote in post #9866547 (external link)
I am smarter than my camera...
I don't trust it to make its own decisions... hence the reason I have a dslr...

So I take it you manually focus as well? ;)

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

pinoyplaya
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 25, 2010 02:25 |  #5

Erik_L wrote in post #9866096 (external link)
I was thinking about various things that people fiddle with everyday that Canon could work into future bodies to make life easier. They have begun by adding the Max ISO setting to the T2i, but I feel they could do so much more...

1. Focal length / shutter speed binding. this C. Fn. would measure the current FL of the lens and set the shutter speed to match that when shooting Tv mode. another C. Fn would set the x factor, so you could shoot 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc x the FL of the lens you're using. this would auto-compensate for crop bodies.

2. Variable aperture / ISO speed binding. this C. Fn. would take into consideration the variable aperture nature of your lens and adjust the ISO as necessary so that, when in M, your exposure would not be affected by zooming in/out.

Both of these could be programmed to work with all lenses, or just Canon lenses, to further encourage consumers to purchase only Canon equipment, similar to the way PIC works only with Canon lenses.

Would you be interested in seeing these features in future bodies? what other features?

This would be a point and shoot camera.

flickr (external link)Canon EOS 1D Mark III & WTB Canon 6D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580 EX II

Omaru
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2010 02:31 |  #6

I would be happy if Canon implemented Micro adjust on all(Rebels included) camera bodies in the future.

Even considering of upgrading current firmwares for all the Canon body line both new and old to implement the said feature.

Visit my flickr (external link)
Visit my vimeo too! (external link)
Cosplay is Awesome

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2010 02:51 |  #7

Erik_L wrote in post #9866096 (external link)

This can already be acheived (more or less) by using Tv, Av and M...

I usually shoot in Manual but one can up a known SS in Tv and/or an aperture I'd prefer to get to quickly in Av and just change modes for a given situation.

Example: Say I'm shooting prop-driven planes in Manual with settings of 1/125 @ f/11 ISO 100 and along comes a Learjet or similar. In theory, all I have to do is go one click to Tv which is already set at 1/1000 and Bob's Yer Uncle. It's also a very simple matter to dial in a half stop of EC either way depending on if it's a white jet or painted a darker color.

(In practice however, I already know I'd need six clicks of faster shutter + six clicks of wider aperture to get the equivalent exposure so I don't even have to look at my settings but the above could work...)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 25, 2010 03:43 |  #8

What I'd like to see is an improved user interface. Add maybe 3 or 4 finger-wheel style switches (like the one beside the shutter release) beside the LCD panel. Then allow me to customise those switches so I can use my thumb to select ISO with the first switch, metering mode with the second, focus mode with the third etc. This would do away with the need to press a button first.

Gear

Erik_L
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 25, 2010 07:27 |  #9

Mark2Mark wrote in post #9866769 (external link)
What I'd like to see is an improved user interface. Add maybe 3 or 4 finger-wheel style switches (like the one beside the shutter release) beside the LCD panel. Then allow me to customise those switches so I can use my thumb to select ISO with the first switch, metering mode with the second, focus mode with the third etc. This would do away with the need to press a button first.

this would be nice. I would also like if they can be pushed, like on an old blackberry or Sony "jog wheel" device.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 25, 2010 07:43 |  #10

The Canon marketing machine is an efficient beast. I'm sure a number of these suggestions are not only possible, they're likely planned for some future release. Just look at auto ISO, and remote flash control as in the 7D. Nikon has had these things way back since their D70. It took Canon until the 7D to finally give them to us, albeit in the case of auto ISO in a limited sort of way. Don't get me wrong - I love my Canon cameras, but truth be told, Canon could give us a lot more right now were it not for their marketing philosophy.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 25, 2010 07:54 |  #11

I would like to see voice memos (the microphone is already there on the video equipped cameras).
Via a CF setting, you could choose to attach a new memo to the last or next picture by default.
The playback mode [>] would allow you to add a memo to the picture currently being chimped.

When taking pictures at a swim meet for example, I could look at the event sheet and record the event and the name of the athlete I am photographing in the next several shots.

This could also be a learning tool. When taking pictures in difficult situations, I might make a note as to how I arrived at my settings (e.g., metered off the sky).

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2010 08:28 |  #12

arg245 wrote in post #9867395 (external link)
It took Canon until the 7D to finally give them to us, albeit in the case of auto ISO in a limited sort of way.

The 40D has (limited) Auto ISO.

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 25, 2010 08:42 |  #13

Keith R wrote in post #9867582 (external link)
The 40D has (limited) Auto ISO.

Yes, as I said in my post, and you are right, the 40D does have it, but the flash control came with the 7D. Sorry I should have been clearer.

In the Nikons, you define the ISO limits. It is totally under your control. In the Canons it is limited in that it begins with ISO at 400 and works its way up as necessary.

Again, don't take me for a Nikon fan boy, but credit should be given where credit is due, and Canon marketing appears to seriously limit what they can give us.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

Canon ­ Dale
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 25, 2010 08:52 |  #14

I would like a CFn that turns the Live View button into a "one-touch-movie-record" button, on the Rebels.

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 25, 2010 08:55 |  #15

hairy_moth wrote in post #9867436 (external link)
I would like to see voice memos (the microphone is already there on the video equipped cameras).

Get a 1D! The 1D has had a mic and voice annotation for years and years, since before video was a glint in some engineer's eye. Why it isn't on the 7D is because of Canon's marketing that makes you pay thousands of dollars for the extra features that only the full pro bodies have.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links

4,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about the future of EOS...
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.