Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 08:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Belt & Harness Systems Compared - Think Tank and Lowepro

jwsm
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 13, 2010 08:32 |  #1

Hi Everyone

Whilst searching the web to find out info on harness and belt systems, I came across this article which I just had to share with everyone.

http://www.photosafari​india.com/articles/rev​4-beltsys.html (external link)

It pretty much answered all my questions in regrards to which system to buy. There were a lot of helpful posts on here, but a lot of my questions were answered in this one article.

Big thanks to Vandit Kalia. The author.

I also would love to here from anyone else who have wisdom and insight to share.

thank you for time

sponsored links
jhoag
723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 18, 2010 10:54 |  #2

jwsm wrote in post #9787895 (external link)
Hi Everyone

Whilst searching the web to find out info on harness and belt systems, I came across this article which I just had to share with everyone.

http://www.photosafari​india.com/articles/rev​4-beltsys.html (external link)

It pretty much answered all my questions in regrards to which system to buy. There were a lot of helpful posts on here, but a lot of my questions were answered in this one article.

Big thanks to Vandit Kalia. The author.

I also would love to here from anyone else who have wisdom and insight to share.

thank you for time

JWSM,

Thanks very much for sharing. A very useful viewpoint for me, while I have been searching for practical feedback on these belt systems.

JH

Smugmug (external link) : Gear List

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 18, 2010 14:14 |  #3

Agreed that Think Tank gear has, from the very start, been designed more for the professional event/sports shooters. For example their very first product, the Airport Addicted, was to facilitate airline carry on for a 400 f2.8, 500 f4, or 600 lens, laptop and a bunch of bodies, lenses and strobes. In no way was it designed to compete with the Lowepro "trekker" series, unless one is trekking to a stadium and needs a laptop. The Think Tank designs do not have a harness system comparable to the larger Lowepro or Tamrac backpacks.
Within that design orientation, the Think Tank gear is really quite innovative and well made.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

jhoag
723 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 18, 2010 16:56 |  #4

Mike K wrote in post #9822949 (external link)
Agreed that Think Tank gear has, from the very start, been designed more for the professional event/sports shooters. For example their very first product, the Airport Addicted, was to facilitate airline carry on for a 400 f2.8, 500 f4, or 600 lens, laptop and a bunch of bodies, lenses and strobes. In no way was it designed to compete with the Lowepro "trekker" series, unless one is trekking to a stadium and needs a laptop. The Think Tank designs do not have a harness system comparable to the larger Lowepro or Tamrac backpacks.
Within that design orientation, the Think Tank gear is really quite innovative and well made.
Mike K

Yes. I absolutely love the TT Airport Security bag for travel. But I also use a Kata backback for outings when a rolling bag is inappropriate. And I have been testing our the dual R-Strap for managing 2 bodies at events. But there are times when it would be handy to carry a few more accesories and additional primes on my person with quick accessibility. Thus my interest in a belt system.

JH

gpeet
51 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 24, 2010 18:21 |  #5

TT for sure

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 25, 2010 10:53 |  #6

jhoag wrote in post #9824015 (external link)
Yes. I absolutely love the TT Airport Security bag for travel. But I also use a Kata backback for outings when a rolling bag is inappropriate. And I have been testing our the dual R-Strap for managing 2 bodies at events. But there are times when it would be handy to carry a few more accesories and additional primes on my person with quick accessibility. Thus my interest in a belt system.

JH

If you are an event shooter, then the TT setup is best. IMO, the LP is way too bulky. TT even has a less bulky "Skin" series.

Jim

My Gear

jhoag
723 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 25, 2010 12:40 |  #7

jhom wrote in post #9868383 (external link)
If you are an event shooter, then the TT setup is best. IMO, the LP is way too bulky. TT even has a less bulky "Skin" series.

Thanks Jim. I am quickly coming to that conclusion. I am doing a Tennis tournament in a few weeks and will try the TT system out fo that. It will include wilde and tele action, + candid and group shots - i.e. the whole event. I think that will provide a good indication of flexibilty and mobility.

JH

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 25, 2010 17:15 |  #8

jhoag wrote in post #9869036 (external link)
Thanks Jim. I am quickly coming to that conclusion. I am doing a Tennis tournament in a few weeks and will try the TT system out fo that. It will include wilde and tele action, + candid and group shots - i.e. the whole event. I think that will provide a good indication of flexibilty and mobility.

JH

If you are the sort who frequently change lenses, here is a trick. Have a lens case for each of the lenses you intend to carry and use. This would mean having one open lens case on the belt. This way you can easily exchange lenses without fumbling. You unmount the lens you want to remove from the camera body and drop it in the open lens case and then mount the new lens from its case on the belt.

Jim

My Gear

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2010 07:34 |  #9

Lowepro lens cases can be mounted onto the Think Tank belt - very convenient should you want to use the Digital Holster system (which beats the Lowepro Toploader system by a mile - no in-position lens hoods digging into your legs as you walk up and down hills, for one). Both the Pixel Racing Harness and the Lowepro shoulder straps leave something to be desired, though - the Lowepro has the tendency to split at the yoke under heavy loads, while the ThinkTank is just plain flimsy and unable to stand up to punishment...

jhoag
723 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2010 10:13 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #10

Thanks very much Jim and Shadowblade. Good advice and info. This is such a difficult topic to assess without actually talking to real users.

JH

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 26, 2010 12:39 |  #11

I'm heavily invested into think tank photo stuff (US$550) and I just love how each element works with each other.

I have a think tank steroid speed belt with modular pouches. Used to have lowepro's 60AW pouch and Lens Case 1W which I sold away after I got the think tank stuff. The lowepro's are too padded and their velcro mounting isn't very trustworthy.

Also - their stuff is all zippered. I lent the Lowepro Lens Case 1W to my friend with my 50 1.4 + hood for a day or two, and because of his forgetfulness, bent down to pick up a coin with the lens case open. Thankfully there isn't any damage to the lens (hood had some scratches- it was a sports track), but it made me certain that think tank was the way to go.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2010 18:11 |  #12

Headshotzx wrote in post #9876135 (external link)
I'm heavily invested into think tank photo stuff (US$550) and I just love how each element works with each other.

I have a think tank steroid speed belt with modular pouches. Used to have lowepro's 60AW pouch and Lens Case 1W which I sold away after I got the think tank stuff. The lowepro's are too padded and their velcro mounting isn't very trustworthy.

Also - their stuff is all zippered. I lent the Lowepro Lens Case 1W to my friend with my 50 1.4 + hood for a day or two, and because of his forgetfulness, bent down to pick up a coin with the lens case open. Thankfully there isn't any damage to the lens (hood had some scratches- it was a sports track), but it made me certain that think tank was the way to go.

The zippers and weather protection are the very reason I like the Lowepro lens cases (not the Toploaders, though)! When hiking, climbing, 4-wheel driving, horse/camel/elephant riding, etc. my equipment tends to get bumped around a bit and be subjected to sand, dust, rain, sleet and snow - the open-lid ThinkTank cases just wouldn't cut it. I do wish the Lowepros had slightly less padding though, to reduce bulk - the ThinkTank modular pouches have plenty of padding for protection from physical impact.

sponsored links

4,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
Belt & Harness Systems Compared - Think Tank and Lowepro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.