Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WARNING SPIDER HOLSTER USERS!!!!!!!!

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,464 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 25, 2010 13:57 |  #61

me too.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sponsored links
javanutsy
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2010 14:47 |  #62

RWatkins wrote in post #9868062 (external link)
Personally, I think its a design flaw to have the 'quick release' as a method; by which the device does not lock.

Like another poster mentioned, even in the unlocked position, the cam cannot just be lifted off without supporting the cam so that the pin is not vertical as when seated in the holster. I think it's a great thought out system. But still I like it locked for the extra piece of mind.

There's an easy DIY mod you can do to remove the always unlocked option:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9577747&po​stcount=19

Oh, and I got the buckle replacement email too :)

galleryexternal link | gear

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 25, 2010 15:50 |  #63

blackhawk wrote in post #9867699 (external link)
It's impossible to predict what will happen ...
Gravity, that's what the tethers are for.

see, I can predict gravity pretty well, maybe that's why I don't need nor use tethers?
but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,733 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 26, 2010 00:47 |  #64

Hey all,

My camera is off to Canon Canada. I've sent the body to get a service advisory performed (new sub mirror mechanism replaced). This way I can get my body inspected at the same time. I'm getting a quotation regarding the crack also.

I will say Shai has been outstanding in standing behind his product. He's genuine regarding his concern of my "incident" and will make things right. As for the new buckle I see it as a bold move to prove how dedicated they are in being a manufacturer of a fresh new innovative product for photogs.

I use the locking mechanism all of the time on the spider clip. You can "feel" the lock lever to determine if its locked or unlocked. The purpose of the spider is to have freedom without straps.

I own the RS4 BR strap and its like driving with a seat belt. Using the Spider holster is driving without a seat belt. I've been loving the freedom of no strap since the purchase of the Spider.

I am still haunted of the "snap" of an unlocking buckle. After the lengthy conversation with Shai I can tell how passionate he is about his product. The new buckle will be a robust beast that will be equivalent or surpass the beefy buckle found on the think tank pro belt I have.

I feel I've stirred the pot but apparently Shai thinks contrary. I urge others to be wise and inspect any product holding their precious, expensive gear. Even with my horrific experience my loyalty goes to spider seeing such responsive actions on their part. Any readers that have never seen the construction of their clip/base system will see why people are drawn to this strapless system.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

twdfcc
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2010 00:53 |  #65

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9862854 (external link)
not sure who you have for insurance. I have USAA. I have over $10k in gear on the policy and it costs me <$150 PER YEAR. When my 5Dii was destroyed I paid no one cent to get the check to cover it. So yeah, insurance FTW.

If you need a holster, I'd suggest a cotton carrier maybe? I've been using one since they shipped and love it. It's bigger, but I haven't heard of any issues other than the screw on the "button" getting loose which IS user error really. Before that I'd tried the black rapid strap, op-techs (I actually SELL them for my forum) and other DIY options. In the end having crap on the camera body got it PULLED places more often than it was a good thing to have for me.

YMMV.

Funny with all of the talk on camera tethers, I was doing research on the Cotton Carrier and they've just added tethers to all of their harnesses and side holsters.
I would think going this route would alleviate everybody's fears. I know it did for me... I just ordered one. Can't wait! :D

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 26, 2010 07:16 |  #66

twdfcc wrote in post #9873200 (external link)
Funny with all of the talk on camera tethers, I was doing research on the Cotton Carrier and they've just added tethers to all of their harnesses and side holsters.
I would think going this route would alleviate everybody's fears. I know it did for me... I just ordered one. Can't wait! :D

yeah, they've recommended since the beginning.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 26, 2010 15:20 |  #67

javanutsy wrote in post #9869760 (external link)
Like another poster mentioned, even in the unlocked position, the cam cannot just be lifted off without supporting the cam so that the pin is not vertical as when seated in the holster. I think it's a great thought out system. But still I like it locked for the extra piece of mind.

There's an easy DIY mod you can do to remove the always unlocked option:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9577747&po​stcount=19

Oh, and I got the buckle replacement email too :)

No doubt its a great thought-out system. I love mine. However, my experience has been that its a little too easy to leave the lock in the 'unlocked' position. I plan to do the DYI option in the near future.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 26, 2010 15:33 as a reply to  @ RWatkins's post |  #68

I got the email about the belt replacement as well. To be clear, it sounds like the concern is just with the belt. If you are using the holster with your own belt, this shouldn't be an issue, right?

I haven't fully tested my spider holster yet, but I've used it a bit here and there and so far I LOVE it. I've had an R-Strap for a while but this is way, way better.

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2010 16:38 |  #69

MonteMama wrote in post #9877359 (external link)
I got the email about the belt replacement as well. To be clear, it sounds like the concern is just with the belt. If you are using the holster with your own belt, this shouldn't be an issue, right?

That's right, the concern is just with the belt and not the holster. The issue is the belt buckle, but I've looked mine over and haven't been able to duplicate Alan's problem (still I'll take the new, beefier buckle just in case :lol: ).

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 26, 2010 17:17 |  #70

twdfcc wrote in post #9873200 (external link)

I've given the new leash my test and it has passed with flying colors:
1) Stand on bed in the center
2) Use the Canon 5D gripped with the Canon 100-400L IS with the barrel extended all the way out.
3) Mount a 580EXII with Better Beamer onto the flash
4) Clip the new CC leash from the left shoulder strap "D" ring onto the top left neck strap mount point (where I keep a strong steel split ring mounted).
5) Jump on the bed a few times to make sure it will hold up if the rig hits it.
;-)a
6) Drop the rig from up at face level while peering through the viewfinder.

It passes (kind've a jolt but it doesn NOT cut loose and hit the bed nor my private parts.)

Nice option part if you're worried about that sort of thing.

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,464 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 28, 2010 18:33 |  #71

Anyone get a new belt yet?

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

javanutsy
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2010 20:03 |  #72

Still waiting for mine...

galleryexternal link | gear

barosborough
546 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 28, 2010 23:11 |  #73

He had a message on his facebook page that they are getting pushed back and hope to have them shipped in mid-May.

Aaron
Rosborough Photography Portland, OR Portrait Photographer (external link)
Portland Senior Portraits Senior Portrait Photographer (external link)
Portland Portrait Photographer Family Portrait Photographer, Portland Oregon (external link)

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2010 23:48 |  #74

wow... working in the apparel industry... that is just plain dumb for the company to have used such a cheap buckle AND webbing tape.

in the video posted on the 2nd page (?) to see the nylon webbing bunch up like that and i can tell just by the sound of the buckle, that is some cheap knockoff buckle.

seriously, the price difference between a un-branded buckle vs a tested and reliable buckle is not that much... when i used 1 1/2" buckles on the belts for my bags, i recall the price difference was not more than $0.40/item to $0.80 (pending on qty/bulk of order)

so to save a couple of quarters, customers have their precious equipment fall to the ground...

and the price of the webbing... geesh... what did the company save? $0.15/yard?

folks, if you have plastic buckles in your gear... please check in between the prongs and whatnot... look for brands...

ITW Nexus
Kifco/Tifco/Nifco
YKK

and if it looks flimsy... i would not trust my precious equipment in it...

also, webbings... it should NOT bunch up like that... if you press the edges of the webbing together, it should give some resistance and curve over as if you're pressing the edges of a credit card...

damn, i think i'll have to get my box of accessories that i had back in the days...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,733 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2010 02:50 |  #75

If anyone is currently concerned with their "original" buckle here's a simple modification that I've done. This is how I am using my current spider belt. I've removed the male end of the buckle and made this belt a loop through.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i378.photobucke​t.com …1971/4H8R164010​24x768.jpg (external link)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

29,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
WARNING SPIDER HOLSTER USERS!!!!!!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.