Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS4 Image Processor - Won't close image?

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2010 12:11 |  #1

I've had this happen before and not sure of the solution. I have a custom action I've built to run on a folder full of images. I've used the image processor in CS4 to apply the action and then save the files as .psd in a new folder so I can go back and do my final touch-ups.

The processing is working fine, it is saving them in a new folder as a .psd. The problem is it is leaving the edited image open. This is frustrating as I then have to go in and close all the images manually. I don't like using the batch command because the "save as settings" tend to be folder specific and need to be built into the action?

Any idea why Photoshop is not closing the image after it processes? There does not seem to be an check box to tell it to close the image when using "Image Processor"?

Thanks in advance!

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2010 13:56 |  #2

The odd thing is it works fine with other actions just not the one I just built....

The action itself runs fine, just not when I'm using it in the image processor.

I do get an error that says "unable to process file", yet when I looked in the saved location the processed file is there and complete. The file just won't close and I get the error.

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 25, 2010 10:58 |  #3

Is the "Save" and "close" built into the action?
If so: Don't.

Just let the action run, and use the image processor to set file type and location to save.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 26, 2010 09:56 |  #4

René Damkot wrote in post #9868406 (external link)
Is the "Save" and "close" built into the action?
If so: Don't.

Just let the action run, and use the image processor to set file type and location to save.

Nope, no save and run.

It is running one plug-in and two separate actions in one action?

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 30, 2010 06:43 |  #5

Not sure what's going on: The image processor should just do what you tell it to:
For instance, in this screenshot, resize the image, run a watermark action, add copright info, convert to sRGB and save as a jpg. (not sure of the order it does this in)

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20100330-ckhkf61gupejenn69pc17ara1b.jpg

By the way: Cmd+Opt+W (Alt+Ctrl+W) will close all open windows ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 14:42 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #9898678 (external link)
Not sure what's going on: The image processor should just do what you tell it to:
For instance, in this screenshot, resize the image, run a watermark action, add copright info, convert to sRGB and save as a jpg. (not sure of the order it does this in)

QUOTED IMAGE

By the way: Cmd+Opt+W (Alt+Ctrl+W) will close all open windows ;)

I agree, the only thing I can think of is the "action" that I built for the image processor to run includes. For some reason it must be messing up because it has too many steps.

I can run each action through the image processor as a stand alone but when I run them in a new action all together I get the error and it won't close the image it opened. The crazy thing is it actually does what I want it to do and creates the psd file it just won't close them.

Duplicate first layer

LIght Dark Action - Adds a light and dark curve layer with mask

Eye's and Teeth - A Kubota action with basically the same thing as above except there are 5 or 6 layers and 2 folders.

Imageomic - Portrait set to 35% Opacity

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 02, 2010 06:43 |  #7

By "Folder" I presume you mean "group"?

Weird. Cannot reproduce it, and I do use "nested" actions... (don't have the plugins though)

What happens when you close the open file? Do you get a dialog asking you wether you want to save or does it just close? Other error messages?

Edit: Yeah the "unable to process file" error. When does this pop up?

Alternatively, Cmd+Opt+W ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2010 13:42 |  #8

Rene,

I can run the action that contains the plug-in and the other two actions and have no problem when running against a single image not using the processor. It does not ask to close nor does it close the file since that is not built into my action.

By folder I do mean I select a folder containing all jpegs and run the image processor, now I've not tried just selecting a group of images...hmmmm..might have to try that. I do not get a dialogue box. The "unable to process file error" shows up after all images are opened and the action runs. I then get the error and it includes a list of all the images.

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 05, 2010 06:42 |  #9

Weird...

I did get a somewhat similar bug, but that was using Russell Browns 1-2-3-process with PSCS3. (Which was a known bug on some machines. 1-2-3-process worked fine, but ended with a message that I pointed it at an empty folder or some such nonsense)

Might be that you just have bad luck and found an uncommon bug ;)

You could tryRussell Browns 1-2-3-process (external link) (in Dr Browns services), or the edited version of the image processor (external link), which also allows to export as png.

Might, or might not, work better.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 06, 2010 14:17 |  #10

Thanks Rene...

I think I'll punt! (American football term to mean "giving-up")

McKinney, TX

Sageg
521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2010 11:15 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #11

I've had the same problem recently with CS3, although I've never had this issue before when using the image processor. :(

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

Sageg
521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2010 11:29 as a reply to  @ Sageg's post |  #12

I think I've figured it out. If you save in a different format (psd in my case), it doesn't know what to do with the jpg files that had the action run on it. (I'm testing Russell Brown's 123 and the same problem occurs).

Sarah

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 10, 2010 08:11 |  #13

Gave it another try. It's not that simple.

Indeed: If I target a bunch of jpg files, run an action that contains more then one nested action, and save as a psd and one of the actions does something specific, the jpgs don't get closed, and I get this error:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20100410-fairidp7uxgnxackmn5hb11dhp.jpg

Cmd+Opt+W closes all images though, and the psd files were saved correctly.

If I choose jpg in the image processor, the images are saved yet stay open as well, but Cmd+Opt+W won't work, since you'll get this question for each image:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20100410-11mh986qe1yckjwk1y9ucdahs1.jpg

Strangely enough, there are some actions that will work together, some that won't.
The individual actions all run fine, but some (a lot) of combinations don't work well.

Haven't been able to pin-point what triggers it, but it appears that these things will:
  • Create an adjustment layer
  • Use layer effects
  • Enlarge canvas or extend beyond canvas

On a side note: 1-2-3-process seems a bit better behaved, and at least doesn't choke on either an adjustment layer or a canvas resize: It worked at least in 2 cases where the Image Processor didn't...

Just for the bloody fun of it, I also tried copy-pasting all the steps of the three different actions (that would cause a choke) into one action, and that didn't work either...

Weird, and IMO it's just a bug where some steps combined in an action won't work.

If anybody has a solution/explanation, I'm all ears ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 10, 2010 16:17 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #14

Yep Rene,

You have managed to duplicate my problem!

McKinney, TX

Sageg
521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 16, 2010 09:13 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #15

It is an interesting problem.

Sarah

sponsored links

7,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS4 Image Processor - Won't close image?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.