Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 26 Mar 2010 (Friday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Snapping Turtle

Stephen ­ Stephen
Cream of the Crop
6,329 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 26, 2010 11:51 |  #1

I photographed this big turtle last June as I was cycling into work on my bicycle. The year before I had seen a couple but didn't have my camera :( but last year I was better prepared. It's likely a female going to lay her eggs somewhere.

I would have liked to have gotten some lower angle shots but I had to keep and eye out for fast speeding cyclists since the turtle and I were alongside a bike pathon the blid side of a curve at the bottom of a steep hill. :D

Canon 40D & Sigma 70-200mmm F 2.8 at 200mm

1. In full stride

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i153.photobucke​t.com …ans/SnappingTur​tle_04.jpg (external link)

2. Check out the size of those claws. I think that there may be a leech on the turtles' neck just at the neck skin fold and behind its left eye.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i153.photobucke​t.com …ans/SnappingTur​tle_01.jpg (external link)

Stephen
Feel free to check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​m (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links
Momtothefurmonsters
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2010 12:08 |  #2

Those are some enormous claws.

Mom to the furmonsters:p

Digital Rebel XTi

CORUPTImages
37 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2010 12:14 |  #3

Great shots and strange to think that thing is much older than most of us on this forum.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 26, 2010 12:19 |  #4

Nice images. Is the snapping turtle a tortoise that's just been misnamed? Only asking because the I thought turtles have webbed feet.

(I'm no turtle/tortoise expert though, just trying to learn :) )

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Lysendriel
86 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 26, 2010 16:21 |  #5

Bob_A wrote in post #9875986 (external link)
Nice images. Is the snapping turtle a tortoise that's just been misnamed? Only asking because the I thought turtles have webbed feet.

Biologically, a tortoise is a type of turtle. Tortoises are a subset of turtles. The simple rule of thumb is that tortoises are mainly terrestrial and turtles are mainly aquatic. But, as you see, they sometimes cross over. Snapping turtles spend a lot of time in water, but they also come onto land, as is the case with this guy.

And boy, this guy is quite a monster, size wise. It's amazing to see how large they grow, especially since they start out so tiny. It must have been really cool to see him out on the road, though I hope you kept your distance, they can be quite temperamental!

Canon EOS 1D Mark II EOS 1D Mark III | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sam ­ walker
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 26, 2010 18:05 |  #6

nicely done The only true dinosare remnent left in my corners. We have many one legged ducks in the ponds as proof of snappers. We always use the long lens option on these fellows. I like your shot of it in stride. Most of my shotsthey are sunning on a log. They are cool.Sort of the Northern Alligator.
Sam

We'll rape the horses and ride off on the women
rebel xs 18-55is,55-250is promaster2500 flash

pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 26, 2010 18:51 |  #7

How large was he/she?? These things pull down baby ducks in my lake/pond; and I'm sure they are responsible for a lot of the ducks limping that I see. :(
Karen

Canon 50D, 40D, Tokina 12-24,Canon 18-55,Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8,Canon 75-300 5.6,
Canon 200 2.8 L, Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Bogen monopod and Sunpak Tripod with manfrotto Pistol ball grip.

Bhock
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2010 20:46 |  #8

If you look closely at hind feet in first image you can see the webbing between toes.

Excellent shots!
Shots like this are the reason I dont walk out my door without camera in hand.

Mark ­ Theriot
515 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 26, 2010 20:48 |  #9

These suckers are faster than you might think (when they want to be!)

Equipment: 800L, 400 DO, 70-300L, 24-105L

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 26, 2010 20:59 |  #10

I had a nice ... cute pet turtle when I was a kid. This thing looks like it would bite your face off :)

Thanks Lysendriel and Bhock for the info!

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

rawkhopper
88 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 28, 2010 08:50 |  #11

It's probably a female. The girls leave the marsh area to lay eggs on a south facing loose rock slope. They often cross roads and get crushed. Nice shots :)

Canon 7D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM , Tamron 90 mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake, Canon EF 1.4x II teleconverter

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 04, 2010 12:42 |  #12

These things are like rats. They get into a pond and multiple like banshees. I'm always amazed to see them in farm ponds miles away from any other water source. No water is safe from them.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

Stephen ­ Stephen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,329 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 13, 2010 06:51 |  #13

Forst of all let me apologise for not responding earlier to all of your comments. I was busy and unable to visit POTN again until today.

Momtothefurmonsters wrote in post #9875899 (external link)
Those are some enormous claws.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

CORUPTImages wrote in post #9875936 (external link)
Great shots and strange to think that thing is much older than most of us on this forum.

Yes they are long-lived

Thanks Bob.

Lysendriel wrote in post #9877652 (external link)
Biologically, a tortoise is a type of turtle. Tortoises are a subset of turtles. The simple rule of thumb is that tortoises are mainly terrestrial and turtles are mainly aquatic. But, as you see, they sometimes cross over. Snapping turtles spend a lot of time in water, but they also come onto land, as is the case with this guy.

And boy, this guy is quite a monster, size wise. It's amazing to see how large they grow, especially since they start out so tiny. It must have been really cool to see him out on the road, though I hope you kept your distance, they can be quite temperamental!

Thanks Lysendriel for the additional info. Yes I stayed fairly well back. I was more concerned about the cyclists whipping around the curve than the turtle. :D

sam walker wrote in post #9878223 (external link)
nicely done The only true dinosare remnent left in my corners. We have many one legged ducks in the ponds as proof of snappers. We always use the long lens option on these fellows. I like your shot of it in stride. Most of my shots they are sunning on a log. They are cool. Sort of the Northern Alligator.
Sam

Thanks Sam Yes they really remind me of being prehistoric as well, especially when I photographed them fiercely mating last year.

pttenn wrote in post #9878447 (external link)
How large was he/she?? These things pull down baby ducks in my lake/pond; and I'm sure they are responsible for a lot of the ducks limping that I see. :(
Karen

Thanks Karen. She had about a 1.5 foot carapace. I saw one catch a small sandpiper one time near my home. The poor bird was struglling in the water and when I got over to it the snapper (<10 " carapace) had drowned it and was beginning its meal.

Bhock wrote in post #9878933 (external link)
If you look closely at hind feet in first image you can see the webbing between toes.

Excellent shots!
Shots like this are the reason I dont walk out my door without camera in hand.

Yes Bhock as I mentioend I missed the opportunity the yeasr before int eh exact same area.

Mark Theriot wrote in post #9878938 (external link)
These suckers are faster than you might think (when they want to be!)

Yes Mark they can move when they want to.

Bob_A wrote in post #9878989 (external link)
I had a nice ... cute pet turtle when I was a kid. This thing looks like it would bite your face off :)

Thanks Lysendriel and Bhock for the info!

My too Bob.

rawkhopper wrote in post #9886057 (external link)
It's probably a female. The girls leave the marsh area to lay eggs on a south facing loose rock slope. They often cross roads and get crushed. Nice shots :)

I agree Rawkhopper.

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #9931076 (external link)
These things are like rats. They get into a pond and multiple like banshees. I'm always amazed to see them in farm ponds miles away from any other water source. No water is safe from them.

Thanks for the info David.

Stephen
Feel free to check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​m (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links

6,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Snapping Turtle
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.