Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 26 Mar 2010 (Friday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Early Morning Doe with Fawns

wind ­ knot
47 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 26, 2010 18:38 |  #1

While hiking very early one morning I came across this doe very cautiously waiting to cross an open area with her two fawns.
Wayne

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i276.photobucke​t.com …ra2008/e.jpg?t=​1269646120 (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO
]

Wayne
Canon 40D: Canon EFS 17-85, Canon USM 70-300, Tamron IF 200-500

sponsored links
pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 26, 2010 18:49 |  #2

Nice moment..I think a little more post processing would really make this shot pop!
Karen

Canon 50D, 40D, Tokina 12-24,Canon 18-55,Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8,Canon 75-300 5.6,
Canon 200 2.8 L, Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Bogen monopod and Sunpak Tripod with manfrotto Pistol ball grip.

Bhock
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2010 20:49 |  #3

Very Nice.
Been a big couple years for twins in our area.

wind ­ knot
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 27, 2010 07:59 |  #4

Karen

I think a little more post processing would really make this shot pop!

Although I have most of the programs for post processing I’m really not very good at it. If you or anyone else would like to attempt making this image pop have at it.

Bhock

Been a big couple years for twins in our area

The same for our area. One doe even had a late birth of twins on our property. She lost one due mostly I suspect to the deep snowfalls and the extremely cold winter we had here on the east coast.

Wayne

kywolftn
419 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 27, 2010 08:47 |  #5

just a quick pp

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D
18-135 ef-s/ canon 100-400 IS
blackberryridgeresort.​net

pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 27, 2010 15:48 |  #6

I think the re-do is too much...somewhere in between with some contrast and sharpening. I'm no good at it either so it's easy for me to say but not doooooooo..lolol.
Karen

Canon 50D, 40D, Tokina 12-24,Canon 18-55,Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8,Canon 75-300 5.6,
Canon 200 2.8 L, Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Bogen monopod and Sunpak Tripod with manfrotto Pistol ball grip.

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 28, 2010 01:15 |  #7

Trying to process a photo downsized and compressed like this one doesn't give good results compared to working with the original file, but I did a quick re-work of it. The white balance was too warm, giving the photo a yellow cast, and the contrast was low.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

snowyowl13
Goldmember
2,798 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 28, 2010 05:57 |  #8

Very nice! I like the original version the best.

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 28, 2010 05:59 |  #9

I think the OP just wanted some concrete suggestions. All too often posters quickly and silently make some changes. M50D gave some very helpful and concrete suggestions. Hopefully the OP can use these and repost a better pic of his own!!!

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

pttenn
Cream of the Crop
9,671 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 28, 2010 10:23 |  #10

I like the second re-do, makes the deer stand out more. Good shot to begin with, of course!
Karen

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 28, 2010 15:21 |  #11

Was this taken last summer? Last summer and fall wasn't a good year for fawn survival around here. The winter was very mild when it was all said and done, but the wolves are getting thicker ( I hear them every night from home) and and the deer thin, not to mention there's no shortage of coyotes either. It appears that my property and that around it is becoming a refuge for the deer. Last fall there were lots of does, but not one fawn left, now there are at least three fawns (last years) that showed up here. Still, there a very few fawns in proprtion to adult does.

Flickr (external link)

MyLookingGlassEye
200 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 15:45 |  #12

Here's my attempt.
In AE8, I increased the overall contrast, then readjusted the highlights, midtone & deep shadow levels.
I could have altered the WB cast, but with the angle of sun, I figured it was more natural as is.
I should have hit it with a little bit of USM too, but considering it's a for-the-web .JPG, after another bout of recompression it wouldn't really worth it.

((WHOA! I really need to get that calibrator! I switched machines and boy does this retouch look different on this monitor!))

HOSTED PHOTO

My PhotoCenter :D :
Gripped 12DD2 ;)/5 bits of glass/dual triple tubes/Sig TCs,
2-580EXIIs/Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with 3 heads/Cool-lights/Soft box/reflectors/ExpoDis​c & filters galore/Epson R1900+CISS/Now CS5 powered! :p

wind ­ knot
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 28, 2010 17:02 |  #13

Thanks everyone for the great comments and touchup suggestions, they all look great to me.

So here’s what I came up with another doe captured just moments after the others went past. This shot was taken very early in the morning last spring on a hill when the sun was very low and fresh on the horizon filtering threw the pine forest. If memory serves the yellow tune shown in the before shot pretty much is what I can remember.
Wayne

Before

http://i276.photobucke​t.com …ra2008/m.jpg?t=​1269813619 (external link)

After

http://i276.photobucke​t.com …-2008-21.jpg?t=1269813693 (external link)

Wayne

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 28, 2010 19:45 |  #14

Wayne, in my opinion the "after" one of the last 2 photos you posted of just the doe looks more natural and better, but it's only my opinion.

I know the sun can make things look more yellowish, but the way my monitor displays your first photos it is a lot more yellowish than in real life. Monitor calibration can have a significant effect of how the colors look, and depending on how each our monitors are calibrated and thus rendering colors we may see a photo quite differently. I know mine could use recalibrating now, but I don't think it's far off. I would actually like for more people to weigh in with their opinions on the WB.

In any case the scene you captured was nice, the spotted fawns are very cute and nice to see.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Early Morning Doe with Fawns
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.