Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 10 Dec 2005 (Saturday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Caladiva flower & lighting setup

G3owner
294 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 10, 2005 14:26 |  #1

Here's another 100 mm + Kenko extension tube series. This time some Calandiva flower buds.

I also attach a picture of the lighting setup i used - a very cheap and simple 'macro flash' :D The 420 EX set on the camera, cut a hole for the lens in a thin, white foam plastic and fixed the other end of it on top of the flash unit with a small piece of tape... It gives a nice and even light and the light can easily be directed from either side just by turning the part around the lens a little bit!

Bamce

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
61,559 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2005 14:49 |  #2

Good shot and very interesting lighting setup- I like it :)
What aperture were you using?- Just the DOF looks good but the image is a bit soft - looks as if you were using a very small aperture.
Brian V.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

G3owner
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 10, 2005 15:56 as a reply to  @ LordV's post |  #3

The pic was taken at ISO 100, 1/200 s and F 22 on a tripod and using wireless remote control. Maybe 22 is too small? Any good ideas on how to improve sharpness?

Bamce

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,613 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2005 16:28 |  #4

How accurate is the colour rendition with that diffused light - have you adjusted in pp?

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

LordV
61,559 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2005 16:32 as a reply to  @ G3owner's post |  #5

G3owner wrote:
The pic was taken at ISO 100, 1/200 s and F 22 on a tripod and using wireless remote control. Maybe 22 is too small? Any good ideas on how to improve sharpness?

Bamce

I'd try some shots at F11 and see if they are sharper (obviously you will lose some DOF)- I tend not shoot smaller than about F13 because of diffraction softening of the image.
To get round the DOF problem, I often use focus stacking.
Brian V.

Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

G3owner
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 11, 2005 03:01 as a reply to  @ racketman's post |  #6

racketman wrote:
How accurate is the colour rendition with that diffused light - have you adjusted in pp?

This is the first shot with this diffusor setup. The colour is original - I have only adjusted exposure in RawShooter and then cropped, resized and sharpened it in PSP. I will make some more tests with different coloured objects and let you know in this thread...

Bamce

G3owner
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 11, 2005 03:01 as a reply to  @ LordV's post |  #7

LordV wrote:
I'd try some shots at F11 and see if they are sharper (obviously you will lose some DOF)- I tend not shoot smaller than about F13 because of diffraction softening of the image.
To get round the DOF problem, I often use focus stacking.
Brian V.

Ok. I'll give it a try...

Bamce

G3owner
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 11, 2005 05:38 as a reply to  @ G3owner's post |  #8

A new pic of the caladiva. This is stacked using Combinez5 (this is my first stacked pic ever...) from four pictures taken at F11, 1/200s and ISO 100. Much better, even though this one is slightly over-exposured. Should have changed the exposure a little in rawshooter...

The other pic shows one of my dog's rubber chewing toys taken with the 100 mm and the diffuser but without the Kenko tubes. The colours with this diffuser setup comes out excellently. These are very real....

Bamce

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

LordV
61,559 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 11, 2005 05:48 as a reply to  @ G3owner's post |  #9

G3owner wrote:
A new pic of the caladiva. This is stacked using Combinez5 (this is my first stacked pic ever...) from four pictures taken at F11, 1/200s and ISO 100. Much better, even though this one is slightly over-exposured. Should have changed the exposure a little in rawshooter...

The other pic shows one of my dog's rubber chewing toys. The coulours with this diffuser setup comes out excellently. These are very real....

Bamce

Think the 2nd pic does look significantly sharper- congrats on getting the focus stacking to work first time :)
Brian V.

Macro Hints and tips

sponsored links

8,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
Caladiva flower & lighting setup
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.