Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

Andy_Cam
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2010 03:35 |  #16

They are more and more common, but that just means that the technology is becoming more accessible.

I was amazed on a recent works event to see so many people with 1D's, 5D's, D700's, D3's as well as a whole host of XXXD/ XXD bodies.

It is actually quite a good thing, as you are more inconspicuous these days when the rest of the world is also getting creative. :D

Gear | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
stephen_g
595 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 29, 2010 03:37 |  #17

Would it surprise you that I'm 17 and toting a 1D? The classic model of course, but a 1D nonetheless.

Flickr (external link) 1D classic

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 29, 2010 03:43 |  #18

Meh, I saw plenty slrs back in the film days, then digital point and shoots because popular, now slrs are making a come back, in digital form =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,201 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 29, 2010 03:52 |  #19

here in our part of the world..it has become popular due to the installment schemes of credit cards..DLSR's have suddenly become very affordable.. offering 12months installments.

also, I think the social networking sites have encourage more people to be creative and wanting a better camera. In events here everybody seems to be carrying a dslr but most are putting it in green box mode, like 2 of my friends and my brother hehe :)

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 29, 2010 03:54 |  #20

Sure they are becoming more popular..... could also be a case like when you buy a car you then see loads of them!

It may now have to be like the arms race, just buy a big lens hood and stick a 580ex on top then we can distinguish ourselves from PWC (which on thinking about it I am! but not green box!)

Mark
Gear List

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,249 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 29, 2010 04:31 |  #21

It is mainly Asian tourists visiting - I live in a tourist area - here that carry their DSLR's around - yes sometimes with their tripod. The tourists from Europe and the US are mostly carrying small P&S camera's with the odd exception.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, R,, RF24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8 + RF15-35mm F/2.8 + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + RF100mm F/2.8 + GODOX V860 IIC+ 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

verty
Goldmember
1,459 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 29, 2010 04:47 |  #22

yeah i totally agree. it kinda bugs me cause i know alot of people who have dSLRs and dont take it out of auto mode. i have seen a dramatic jump in the amount of people with dSLRs in the past year, i was at an event ealier this year and i swear i was totally gobsmacked by the amount of dSLRs, i just couldnt believe it. That was another reason why i decided to get a 5D and only stick to L series lenses, usually means you are serious business or really into the photography, it seperates you from the thousands of people who have jumped on the dSLR bandwagon shooting in auto mode!

5D Mark II || 550 D || 350 D || Canon 17-40L || Canon 24-70L || Canon 50 1.4 || Canon 70-200L IS 2.8 || 580 EX Speedlight || 480 EX speedlight x2 || Manfrotto 190CXPro3 + 488 RC2 || Cybersyncs

Flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,201 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 29, 2010 04:51 |  #23

Most of those who buy DLSR's tend to ask a lot of questions but do not want to do what you tell them to do to improve their shots hehe... I have a friend who bought an UWA for his nikon D90 and he doesn't even know what FL it is until I looked at them and its a 10-24mm... and he doesn't like it coz according to him everything looks so small.

If only it could mount on my T1i I could have taken it away from him hehe oh well...

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 04:56 |  #24

verty wrote in post #9891445 (external link)
yeah i totally agree. it kinda bugs me cause i know alot of people who have dSLRs and dont take it out of auto mode.

Why would it bug you how people choose to use the equipment that they own and paid for?

i swear i was totally gobsmacked by the amount of dSLRs, i just couldnt believe it. That was another reason why i decided to get a 5D and only stick to L series lenses, usually means you are serious business or really into the photography, it seperates you from the thousands of people who have jumped on the dSLR bandwagon shooting in auto mode!

So you sent thousands of $$$ to seperate yourself from the auto moders and to look "serious business" did you?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

THE ­ TROOPER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 29, 2010 05:15 |  #25

verty wrote in post #9891445 (external link)
i swear i was totally gobsmacked by the amount of dSLRs, i just couldnt believe it. That was another reason why i decided to get a 5D and only stick to L series lenses, usually means you are serious business or really into the photography, it seperates you from the thousands of people who have jumped on the dSLR bandwagon shooting in auto mode!

pmsl at that statement. I think you need to visit 1x.com and take a look at the people shooting with older models and certainly not L glass. It will make a lot of 5d and L glass only users feel quite ashamed lol ;)

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

emilysium
242 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 29, 2010 05:17 |  #26

stephen_g wrote in post #9891278 (external link)
Would it surprise you that I'm 17 and toting a 1D? The classic model of course, but a 1D nonetheless.

I find this comment annoying, because I feel as though you're trying to brag, but I see nothing to brag about...

I mean, there may be other things about you that are surprising, like maybe you saved up soda cans for 10 years to buy it something, and now you're a full time working professional. That might be a cool story.

40D | 20D converted IR | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS | 50 1.4 | 580EX II | flickr (external link)

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 29, 2010 05:24 |  #27

Nothing wrong with under 20's having 1 series I think. I'm 17 turning 18, and I have both the 1D2N and 5D with me, bought second hand of course. 1D2N was my bday+xmas present last year, 5D- I saved up for it.

ceriltheblade wrote in post #9891159 (external link)
In my area of the world, they are still not as popular....but when I toured in Singapore, there were soooo many! And I was told that it was a new "craze" for the GWC crowd to walk around with large tripods (no less) and indeed you saw a huge amount of folks out there with camera mounted tripods walking down the street.
decrease in price is one thing that helped (vis a vis increased disposable income)
but also I am not sure that without this forum and the availability of the knowledge that the internet brings to my fingertips so easily, even i would have tried to get one..... (I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination)

Yes, I live in Singapore and many MANY people are toting dslrs nowadays. Many of them have kit lenses and all, but there's no telling what they can achieve even with that - we've seen how photographers (pro and non-pro) shoot the most memorable images with kit lenses and rebel series cameras.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Overread
Goldmember
2,233 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 05:30 |  #28

Some of it still depends where you live - I was down in the Surrey area (around London) and going to the zoos and wildlife centers there would often be a good troop of DSLRs and glass (cheap through to L grade). Head up to suffolk and I was a rare creature at the local zoo with my DSLR.

So partly it depends where you live and also where you go - town highstreet and you are probably a rare creature, hit the big fairgrounds, zoos, fairgrounds and the number of hobbyists goes up a lot. This is especailly true because a DSLR with kit lens is affordable - throw in a cheap 70-300mm zoom and a 50mm and most people can afford that sort of setup and its enough for them. Even a good bridge camera is still hobbled partly by design - shutter lag (kids move fast) and small sensors (they can't do the bokeh thing ;)) hamper even the novice who is not out to be an expert.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 05:36 |  #29

Though I do see more people with SLR's, I seem to see more people toting Point & Shoot cameras then I do see toting SLR's.

So what if more and more people are carryings SLR's ... it's not like an SLR is some sort of status symbol in our society, or an indicator of education or experience.

Photographers should be thankful more people buy SLR's .... Companies like Canon profit and have more money to invest in Development and bring better products to Photographers.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:00 |  #30
bannedPermanently

I think its great - cause all the sudden these kit-lens auto-mode'rs have the epiphany where they realize its not a magic box and to get "pro" results you have to apply yourself in a number of ways :-)

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sponsored links

37,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.