Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 22 Jan 2010 (Friday) 03:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Aussie Club #8 - Einsteins won't make you smart

this thread is locked
S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:02 |  #4966

Michael wrote in post #9891639 (external link)
Hey Kev. How are you?

Does anyone know if they'll most likely write the car off if it has well over 200 dents(shallow to deep) on the bonnet, left front panel, left front door, left back door, left back panel, the left pillar, the door trims and the boot? Surely that'd cost more than the $12K it's insured for to fix?

Michael wrote in post #9891651 (external link)
Wow, that sucks. Mine's ('04 Camry) only insured for $12K, so I'm hopeful of a write-off.

Check your agreed value.

Mine just covers the market value of mine. I'd like more, but I doubt it'll happen.

sponsored links
BOSS
Gone, but not forgotten
2,610 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:03 |  #4967
bannedPermanent ban

Hey Kev. How are you?

Does anyone know if they'll most likely write the car off if it has well over 200 dents(shallow to deep) on the bonnet, left front panel, left front door, left back door, left back panel, the left pillar, the door trims and the boot? Surely that'd cost more than the $12K it's insured for to fix?

Depends on how its fixed they can do it a couple of ways the easiest is to just bog over the lot and respray. Check with your insurer about the write off point for it.

John
The more I know people the more I love my dogs.
Canon 400D 18-55,75-300,60 macro, 24-105L 100-400L IS,580EXII, 430EX,tripod,monopod plus lots more
SPQR

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 29, 2010 06:05 |  #4968

Hey Kev. How are you?

My Lancer was insured for $10k and it had ~$8k of paint damage - the NRMA assessor at the time said that if it was over 70% of the car's value they'd write it off. I was pretty pleased with it being written off as I bought it back at the NRMA auction a couple of weeks later with less than half the money they gave me for it.

Agreed value or market value, too?

Every panel on my car had at least several dints.. the roof had an aesthetically-pleasing slight ripple effect :p No way of knowing until you take it and see.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Michael
Cream of the Crop
5,980 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2010 06:14 |  #4969

Jim G wrote in post #9891666 (external link)
My Lancer was insured for $10k and it had ~$8k of paint damage - the NRMA assessor at the time said that if it was over 70% of the car's value they'd write it off. I was pretty pleased with it being written off as I bought it back at the NRMA auction a couple of weeks later with less than half the money they gave me for it.

Every panel on my car had at least several dints.. the roof had an aesthetically-pleasing slight ripple effect :p No way of knowing until you take it and see.

It's agreed value. They towed it for me last night, as I was told not to drive it as it may be structurally unsound. Hopefully they'll call soon with their decision.

8 or 9 panels have at least 20 dints and the bonnet and roof are pretty stuffed along with the left side pillars.

Michael

coalcliff
Goldmember
3,521 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:30 |  #4970

S7000 wrote in post #9891212 (external link)
Just spend 25 mins on the phone to ANZ. Westpac has now been ditched due to it's crappy interest payments. Should be out of credit debt in 6 months! :lol:

Go Phil, good luck!

Rai33 wrote in post #9891218 (external link)
Thanks coalcliff. Yeah Kurt said he'll put me on the cards ha

ps hope that wasn't you "shooting" people in the gong area with bow and arrow :P

My Tax is my Alibi!;):cool: I wasn't there. Besides, he missed!:rolleyes:

Michael wrote in post #9891692 (external link)
It's agreed value...

Good luck Michael!

My Gear
[SIZE=2]Damian:cool::shock::grin: More you learn the more you can forget.

tangcla
Cream of the Crop
9,779 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:34 |  #4971

tangcla wrote in post #9890490 (external link)
So, I need to get a new CF card, as I sold my 8GB spare to a friend of mine.
Decided I'll get a UDMA card... since the 5D2 is meant to be able to take advantage of it.

Question is - 16GB or 32GB? Price-wise they are about the same (GB/$).

So. Any suggestion whether I should get 16 or 32GB?

Clarence
www.tangcla.com - photography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS| 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

alexanderGARDNER
Goldmember
3,540 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 29, 2010 06:40 |  #4972

tangcla wrote in post #9891745 (external link)

32. You'd outpace the 16 in a heartbeat.

ALEXANDER GARDNER
PHOTOGRAPHER - MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

alexanderGARDNER Blog! (external link)
alexanderGARDNER Photography FB Fanpage (external link)

S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:42 |  #4973

coalcliff wrote in post #9891736 (external link)
Go Phil, good luck!

Cheers Damo, It has to be done! I need to get my **** together, and this is the first and biggest step.

coalcliff
Goldmember
3,521 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:46 |  #4974

tangcla wrote in post #9891745 (external link)

Clarry,

look at it this way,

if you shoot 2 x 16 GB, if one card fails, you loose half the shoot.... need I say more?;)

My Gear

coalcliff
Goldmember
3,521 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:47 |  #4975

S7000 wrote in post #9891772 (external link)
Cheers Damo, It has to be done! I need to get my **** together, and this is the first and biggest step.

Then you can, once you have slain the beast that is CC debt, borrow money to pay of your partners CC!:lol::lol::lol::p

My Gear

tangcla
Cream of the Crop
9,779 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:54 as a reply to  @ alexanderGARDNER's post |  #4976

Anyone want to buy a 16GB Transcend 133x CF? VGC :) was my spare card.

Clarence
www.tangcla.com - photography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS| 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:55 |  #4977

coalcliff wrote in post #9891786 (external link)
Then you can, once you have slain the beast that is CC debt, borrow money to pay of your partners CC!:lol::lol::lol::p

Doubt that, she's on her own Damo. :p

rowdy_kk
98 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:29 |  #4978

Michael wrote in post #9891692 (external link)
It's agreed value. They towed it for me last night, as I was told not to drive it as it may be structurally unsound. Hopefully they'll call soon with their decision.

8 or 9 panels have at least 20 dints and the bonnet and roof are pretty stuffed along with the left side pillars.

Structurally unsound???? From hail damage???? :confused: If that's the case you better hope it's a write off since I am hearing stories of 6 months plus waits for panel work

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:37 |  #4979

rowdy_kk wrote in post #9891951 (external link)
Structurally unsound???? From hail damage???? :confused: If that's the case you better hope it's a write off since I am hearing stories of 6 months plus waits for panel work

Yeah, even down here after the hail storm people were having to wait ages. My cousin and her husband said both of their cars were likely to be written off but the insurance companies have been so flat out that they probably haven't even been out to them yet, and it's been a few weeks now.

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,501 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 29, 2010 10:50 |  #4980

Jim G wrote in post #9891666 (external link)

Ha. Sounds like what happened to my friend's car a few years ago. He had it stolen 3 times in the one night. They eventually jumped it off a set of stairs into a skip bin. Insurance wrote it off because the repair was going to cost more than replacing the car (VL Commodore wagon). He bought it back off the wreckers for scrap value and fixed it up with $4K to spare.

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

554,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Aussie Club #8 - Einsteins won't make you smart
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.