Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2010 08:24 |  #46

It's still a rarity to see people with dSLRs who don't use a kit lens, at least, most of the people I see with dSLRs are still using kit lenses and on camera flash. Not that the kit lens isn't capable, but I want to say probably only 10-20% of the people I see on the street with them are using something other than the kits.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2010 08:28 |  #47

Funny thing about this thread is, we probably are the wankers we're talking about. I could be the douchebag you saw, you could be the douchebag I saw, etc.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 08:40 |  #48

themadman wrote in post #9891296 (external link)
Meh, I saw plenty slrs back in the film days, then digital point and shoots because popular, now slrs are making a come back, in digital form =)

You have described me. I bought a 35mm SLR in the 70's. It was fully manual so I learned a lot about camera settings. Purchased compact digital early 2000's then a superzoom. I got my first DSLR last summer, a 50D. The purchase was for medical reasons - either get a DSLR or have a stroke caused by shutter lag frustration. Most of my photos involve action.

An increasing number of young parents have gone DSLR to photograph their fast moving children . Since models like the Rebel XS are $500ish, why not?

We should be happy for the DSLR user even if it stays on the "P" setting. I would much rather look at photos from a DSLR used like a P and S than something out of a camera phone.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2010 09:10 |  #49

I wonder if the development of better compacts (like Micro 4/3 or APS-C models) will kill this trend like good film compacts killed the original late 70's-early 80's film SLR craze?

For outdoor shots with kit lens or indoors with on-camera flash there's very little reason to prefer DSLR over something like a G11.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 09:14 |  #50

Everyone makes fun of people who buy DSLRs and leave them in green box, but a DSLR in green box still takes better pictures than a point and shoot in green box.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2010 09:22 |  #51

theextremist04 wrote in post #9892433 (external link)
Everyone makes fun of people who buy DSLRs and leave them in green box, but a DSLR in green box still takes better pictures than a point and shoot in green box.

Not always.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Panda_stunter
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2010 09:26 |  #52

nah, i do believe thats its because you are "aware" now. kinda like what pilsburypie said.

that and they sell some DSLR at costco and walmart! consumer grade DSLR (rebels) will be more popular than that of prosumer grade (xxD and Xd). like everyone mentioned, most of them have the kit lens on the idiot mode/ green box.

now, when youre seeing people with DSLRs with the red ring/L lens or another lens thats comparable without the camera on idiot mode, then you can actually say that more and more people are using DSLRs.

Gear List and Feedbacks MM#1909309
"Carpe DM Photography" (external link)
"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2010 09:28 |  #53

Panda_stunter wrote in post #9892495 (external link)
nah, i do believe thats its because you are "aware" now. kinda like what pilsburypie said.

that and they sell some DSLR at costco and walmart! consumer grade DSLR (rebels) will be more popular than that of prosumer grade (xxD and Xd). like everyone mentioned, most of them have the kit lens on the idiot mode/ green box.

now, when youre seeing people with DSLRs with the red ring/L lens or another lens thats comparable without the camera on idiot mode, then you can actually say that more and more people are using DSLRs.

You mean to tell me that one is or is not using a digital SLR depending on the mode it's in and what lens is attached? :rolleyes:

Panda_stunter
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2010 09:28 |  #54

cdifoto wrote in post #9892207 (external link)
Funny thing about this thread is, we probably are the wankers we're talking about. I could be the douchebag you saw, you could be the douchebag I saw, etc.

seriously huh? with my luck, this is prolly the way it is....

wait, i dont shoot in the idiot mode! :lol:

"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 29, 2010 09:28 |  #55

I don't ever see anyone else around here with a DSLR. I saw one guy at the beach with one. Now when I went to Estes park there was a mob....

50D, XTI, gripped
28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sears 135mm 2.8
430 EX, other accessories

Panda_stunter
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2010 09:30 |  #56

cdifoto wrote in post #9892509 (external link)
You mean to tell me that one is or is not using a digital SLR depending on the mode it's in and what lens is attached? :rolleyes:

youre reading to much into my statement. you dont have to be philosophical on a very shallow subject, sir.

but just to clarify, im talking about people using DSLR into its full capacity....damn, i really have to be so damn specific in this forum huh?????

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2010 09:31 |  #57

I see a few of them around. More than I used to that's for sure.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2010 09:35 |  #58

This thread kinda reminds me of a Sam Haskins quote:

"So now almost everyone owns a camera. Yet, of all the commonplace tools available to us, the SLR camera is probably the least understood and certainly the most under-exploited. All too frequently the average amateur will purchase a fine modern camera and proceed to use it for making the most elementary simple snapshots. This surely is like playing 'Chopsticks' on a concert grand piano."

Hell, if I could comfortably afford it, I'd put a concert grand in my living room. I mean... why not? :p

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2010 09:39 |  #59

k_wakasugi wrote in post #9892563 (external link)
Hell, if I could comfortably afford it, I'd put a concert grand in my living room. I mean... why not? :p

Umm, because unless you have a REALLY big house and living room it's a pretty big waste of space!

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2010 09:39 |  #60

cdifoto wrote in post #9892207 (external link)

exactly!! :lol:

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sponsored links

31,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.