Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2010 (Friday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which is a better first SLR?

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 24, 2010 12:47 |  #46

NothingRemains10 wrote in post #9861151 (external link)
I am looking to buy three lenses..

A carry around lens..A mid range zoom, and a telephoto. I would like quality lenses, but I am not a millionaire and dont want to spend 3k each.

What is the difference between the

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]

Would they both be good, high quality, carry around lenses? Would I be able to do panoramic photos with them? And with these, is there any need for the Nifty Fifty?

Also, how practical would a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens be for mid range shots?

For the long distance, I was planning on going with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS.

First, let me state up front that I'm a Cheap Bastard. When I bought my first DSLR a year ago, I wanted to be as economical as possible and still meet my photographic requirements. I wanted to shoot wildlife and action. I chose the 40D, which at the time was the best camera bargain on the market (with 17-85mm kit lens, the price was CAD$1180). The durable magnesium alloy body, the fabulous grip, the 6.5 fps shooting speed, the large bright pentaprism viewfinder, and the 9 cross-type AF points sold me.

For a telephoto zoom, I chose the 70-300mm over the 70-200mm f/4L. Why? Because I wanted the longer reach (300mm) and the Image Stabilization. Sure, the 70-200mm has much better optical quality, but the 70-300mm is no slouch and it's good enough for me. With this lens, I can effectively shoot at nearly 500mm range.

I used this setup to shoot an airshow and let me tell you, the 6.5 fps really saved me! And I'm happy with the IQ of the 70-300mm.

The 17-85mm kit lens is perfectly adequate as a walkaround lens. I added a 10-22mm ultra wide angle for architectural shots and a 100mm macro lens, again for close-ups of wildlife. Note that they're all Canon lenses for maximum compatibility -- not that Tamron is bad, but I prefer to stick with Canon.

I recently purchased a 50mm f/1.8 and a SELPHY ES1 portable photo printer, just so I could get a free 70-200mm travel mug! I didn't really need the 50mm but it's nice to have an ultra-sharp lens for available light shooting on occasion.

As a Cheap Bastard, this is as much as I care to spend on my photographic hobby.

I guess what I'm saying is, I recommend the 40D/50D with 70-300mm. For those who don't want to overspend on their hobby...

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 29, 2010 09:11 |  #47

I hate choosing a new DSLR. I want to get back into it, after being out with only a compact for about a year.

I need it cheap, so a used 450d will be fine.

but

I'd like to play with video, so make that a 500d

but

I like the dual dials of the xxDs, so make that a used 40D

but now I've lost video again

And so we end up, inexorably, at the 7D. Which I can't afford unless I go body only and live in lens poverty for a while. Which kind of defeats the object :P

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which is a better first SLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.