Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you are rocking the Sigma 30mm as your "walk-around" lens these days??

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 27, 2010 20:43 as a reply to  @ post 9883892 |  #16

Another 30+85 member :)

When I got my brick, I was using that for most of my walking around, but recently switched back to the two prime combo. I love it! The lighter weight, and shallower DOF is totally worth it!

I'm in the middle of going through today's "playground" pictures with my 30 and they are spectacular! I shot at f/2.2 and I had no focus issues.

I've been packing my Slingshot with one of my bodies, my 30/85, my Sigma 10-20, and one one of my Speedlights. Hard to go wrong with that mix of stuff.

For event work, I still use my brick though.

sponsored links
JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2010 21:14 |  #17

jkim05 wrote in post #9883479 (external link)
I use my Sigma 30mm as my primary lens. It definitely males me plan out my composition a bit more using primes vs zooms as I find I get lazy with zooms. I like the lens a lot so far.

no doubt..... your feet definitely get more of a workout with primes!

DStanic wrote in post #9883865 (external link)
I'm also a member of the 30+85 club :) I still use my 24-60 zoom more though because I am lazy. The 30 is by far a better lens!

^^^ lol, zooms are handy for sure.

rishu_pepper wrote in post #9883892 (external link)
I'm a him. :cool:

Yes JayStar is correct in his assessment. This will not be my walkaround. It'll generally be for indoor shooting situations without flash.

For example, I was shooting a church function last night, and stuck with either my Tokina 11-16 or the Sigma 105 macro, I went with the Sig for portraits but it was way too long. The pics turned out okay (by their standards ;)) but they're all full on head shots. A 30 would definitely help, even the 50. I'll probably pick the 30 but we'll see whichever one comes onto the Marketplace first :D

^^^ good stuff... im sure either Siggy will work out for you.... but personally 50mm on crop for me is bit of an odd focal length... its too long and too short.... its that in-between focal length which works for some and others not... i guess im in the not group!

egordon99 wrote in post #9883927 (external link)
Another 30+85 member :)

When I got my brick, I was using that for most of my walking around, but recently switched back to the two prime combo. I love it! The lighter weight, and shallower DOF is totally worth it!

I'm in the middle of going through today's "playground" pictures with my 30 and they are spectacular! I shot at f/2.2 and I had no focus issues.

I've been packing my Slingshot with one of my bodies, my 30/85, my Sigma 10-20, and one one of my Speedlights. Hard to go wrong with that mix of stuff.

For event work, I still use my brick though.

^^^^coolio... thanks for your input.... this is what im thinking in terms of the future of my lens line up.... a zoom for event work and primes for everything else.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 27, 2010 21:17 |  #18

All the time every day. 30 is the only lens that i have and i never felt limited :) go to my flickr most of the shots are done with 30.

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

junipa
115 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2010 21:24 |  #19

I have this lens and I love it, but I don't find it versatile enough to use it as a walk-around. Sadly, no lens really fits that bill for me.

Canon 500D | Tokina 11-16 | Canon 17-55 | Canon 18-200 | Sigma 30 /1.4 | Canon 50 /1.4 | Canon 85 / 1.8 | Canon 70-300 | Speedlight 580EXII

Leonard ­ Wong
206 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 27, 2010 22:40 |  #20

I just picked up the 30 two weeks ago, but I wouldn't trade it for 17-55. Both have their needs and uses. I will end up using the 30 more indoors and at night. But for everything else, there's the 17-55.

40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 F4 IS | 2x580EXII | YN CTR-301P | Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Kata R-103 | Manfrotto Monopod 679B
HV20 | WD-H43 | DM-20 | Manfrotto 390RC2
G12 | D10

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2010 23:24 |  #21

I went on a business trip and packed only the sigma 30 and a rebel XSI once. It wasn't too bad as a vacation walkaround. I did wish I had something wider with me though.

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2010 23:26 |  #22

Sigma 30 ALWAYS stay on my XSi when i travel for business...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 28, 2010 03:42 |  #23

palaima wrote in post #9884063 (external link)
All the time every day. 30 is the only lens that i have and i never felt limited :) go to my flickr most of the shots are done with 30.

^^^ nice work man... a lot of b&w in your flikr.

junipa wrote in post #9884086 (external link)
I have this lens and I love it, but I don't find it versatile enough to use it as a walk-around. Sadly, no lens really fits that bill for me.

^^^ aint that the truth... but i guess we all have to find that one or combo of lenses that works for us....unless someone makes a 10-400mm F2 lens, LOL!

Leonard Wong wrote in post #9884463 (external link)
I just picked up the 30 two weeks ago, but I wouldn't trade it for 17-55. Both have their needs and uses. I will end up using the 30 more indoors and at night. But for everything else, there's the 17-55.

^^^ a lot of people agree with your sentiment... the zoom still has its place in peoples camera bag.... hmmm..

kinghong1970 wrote in post #9884646 (external link)
Sigma 30 ALWAYS stay on my XSi when i travel for business...

^^^ interesting....

overall i guess some people like it as a walk around and others feel limited by it.... i have done a couple hours of shooting outdoors with my zoom at 30mm and i agree and disagree with that sentiment, lol, which leaves me confused!:confused:

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

Patriks7
270 posts
Joined May 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria (school) / Bratislava, Slovakia (weekends)

Mar 28, 2010 06:10 |  #24

I'm thinking of buying this lens for the same reason. But I'm not sure how useful it will be, so I'm thinking of going for a macro lens instead, since I LOVE macro :D

Gear: 40D | 18-55 & 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 28 1.8 | 100 macro | 430EX
Editing: MacBook Pro | Aperture 3
Results: flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 28, 2010 09:07 |  #25

JayStar, i am a buyer and i have to take pics of products in the showrooms... and they have showrooms of various lighting conditions... i was in need for a fast lens and my kit lens or flash was not doing it much for me... so the sig 30mm was it for me.

just a couple of pics...

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/S69fAoZkzRI/AAAAAAAAAWI/X00rcIVyWps/s640/IMG_9026.JPG

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/S69fdRDJvtI/AAAAAAAAAWM/Louam7vhIV4/s1024/IMG_8682.jpg

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/S69hkKOLnVI/AAAAAAAAAWU/G_wAYa_9fko/s640/IMG_0641.JPG

this suits me just fine for my needs...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 28, 2010 15:05 |  #26

kinghong1970 wrote in post #9886135 (external link)
JayStar, i am a buyer and i have to take pics of products in the showrooms... and they have showrooms of various lighting conditions... i was in need for a fast lens and my kit lens or flash was not doing it much for me... so the sig 30mm was it for me.

this suits me just fine for my needs...

yah no doubt..... for indoor shooting the sigma 30mm is definitely a winner.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

Hamfist
378 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2010 12:02 |  #27

30 + 85 here too, granted, my 85 is the manual focus Rokinon. The 30 is almost always on my 7d as the default lens. For a zoom the 17-40 is great, but I'm really leaning toward primes lately.

Film, suckers.

AlexeyK
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2010 12:09 |  #28

I used the Sigma 30 as my ONLY lens (as in, that was the only lens I had) for over a year and was very happy with it! I shoot a lot of concerts in small venues so it was perfect for that, and as a street/portrait/vacati​on lens as well and was extremely happy with it!

Traded it for a Canon 50/1.4 but am regretting that just alittle now..
But one thing that it couldn't handle, like the other guys here say, is the telephoto bit..I was at a zoo in Amsterdam last summer and could wish I had an 85 or Tammy 18-270 to take pictures of the animals, but it was no biggy anyway..=)

Get it, you'll have a blast! And with the micro adjust there's a lot less to worry about when it comes to af issues..

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 29, 2010 13:02 |  #29

I'd like something just a tad wider than the 30mm. I rented it and liked it but I think for general shooting, maybe a 24mm prime would be for me, personally. Oh, how I'd love to stumble upon a large sum of money and get that 24L II. :P

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2010 15:54 |  #30

madhatter04 wrote in post #9893936 (external link)
I'd like something just a tad wider than the 30mm. I rented it and liked it but I think for general shooting, maybe a 24mm prime would be for me, personally. Oh, how I'd love to stumble upon a large sum of money and get that 24L II. :P

lol, i would like to stumble upon a 24L.... but it aint happening!

looks like i might just give up the zoom in favor of the sigma 30mm... now lets see if i can sell my lens for the right price.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

sponsored links

5,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you are rocking the Sigma 30mm as your "walk-around" lens these days??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.