Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 01:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugh, can't make up my mind T2i vs D90

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 11:07 as a reply to  @ post 9892863 |  #46

Ironically enough I was eyeing the Canons 55-250mm IS lens...

However the build (plastic mount and etc), loose lens, and somewhat troubeled focusing had me cautious of this purchase... Any thoughts / feedback?

sponsored links
Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 11:13 |  #47

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9893206 (external link)

However the build (plastic mount and etc), loose lens, and somewhat troubeled focusing had me cautious of this purchase... Any thoughts / feedback?

If you are wait til next week. Bestbuy might put up a bundle with this camera and that zoom lens just like they have with the t1i

I did this picture with the t1i and 55-250mm zoom lens

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …lockburner28/IM​G_2676.jpg (external link)

I never had a problem with it when I had it

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 11:21 |  #48

Blockburner28 wrote in post #9893258 (external link)
If you are wait til next week. Bestbuy might put up a bundle with this camera and that zoom lens just like they have with the t1i

I did this picture with the t1i and 55-250mm zoom lens

QUOTED IMAGE
I never had a problem with it when I had it

what are the pros and cons and differences (besides the obvious) with plastic mounts vs metal?

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2010 11:59 |  #49

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9893309 (external link)
what are the pros and cons and differences (besides the obvious) with plastic mounts vs metal?

Well for the money, is hard to see any cons, now if the lens was $400-500 then all the plastic stuff comes out and screams at you but for $200 is very easily overlooked specially after you see the IQ you get out of this lens, not sure what lens out there could do the same with image stabilization for under $300, I mean if you find one that performs that good and lets you achieve the same or better IQ, please let me know! I spent over $500 for the Canon 70-300 IS USM and it had to go back because I couldn't justify it's cost and IQ vs cost. Another big plus for the 55-250 is the size, awesome size and weight, fits easily in any camera bag made for DSLRs of course, something like the 70-300 or the white 70-200s will need a bag of their own.

If plastic mounts and cheap build quality bothers you, go for the Canon 70-200 4L and your good to go!

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2010 12:19 |  #50

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9893206 (external link)

no loose lens, no troubled focusing! great telephoto lens for the price!

Canon 55-250IS - (XSi)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3863994663_530a31b356_b.jpg

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 29, 2010 12:25 |  #51

RiceAddictBoy, I think you should think about future needs and decide that way. Both cameras are excellent dSLRs. More than just 'capable'. The d90 is a step above the t2iin terms of level, but is getting a little old now, but for most people the biggest and most long term expense is in the lenses they get. Bodies have a lifespan of a couple of years atm. Lenses you would think would last a lot longer than that.

So... Think of your most likely line up (the one you can afford) and your dream line up. Do a cross comparison of what both systems offer you. If you like the Nikon lenses for what you shoot and your wallet and their look and feel and quality, then go an get that d90! If you would rather the canon lenses, then stick with the t2i.

That was how I made up my mind in the end, and I've been very happy.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 29, 2010 12:27 |  #52

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885094 (external link)
I have been dead set on buying the T2i and I found a Best Buy that had one for sell...and I got it. However, some of my camera buddies were nagging on me about how the D90 was still superior and only two hundred bucks more for a better AF, body, button layout and options...

They also told me that the sensor was the same size as the Ti and increasing the pixel doesn't mean better quality - especially since the sensor size is still the same.

Please...please help a confused guy before he opens the T2i box. I understand this is a Canon forum - but, please give good advise. Thanks guys!

IMO, the D90 will be the better buy for photography and the Canon for video ;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 12:44 |  #53

watt100 wrote in post #9893682 (external link)
no loose lens, no troubled focusing! great telephoto lens for the price!

Canon 55-250IS - (XSi)

QUOTED IMAGE

Wow! Nice shot.

I already opened the t2i and love it. No regrets so far.

I know nobody had answered my question regarding plastic mounts and metal.

Also what is the lifespan on lenses? And bodies only last a couple years? That's crazy... Why don't they last long? Can you repair them to keep them 6+ years?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,405 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 13:01 as a reply to  @ RiCEADDiCTBOY's post |  #54

Both are likely to be very capable bodies; you can take a look at specs side by side here (external link).

Ultimately you'll need to make a choice on what lens system you want to stick with, because your lenses are what will stick with you. Camera bodies will eventually wear out or you'll upgrade to something newer/faster/prettier.

It's really, primarily the shooter that determines great photos; the gear just lends a hand.

It sounds like you're getting caught up in generic, fanboy banter, really. But the choice is up to you. <shrug>

FWIW, I wouldn't jump to Nikon now unless Canon disappeared just because I don't "get" the controls on Nikon bodies.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2010 13:20 |  #55

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9893835 (external link)
Wow! Nice shot.

Also what is the lifespan on lenses? And bodies only last a couple years? That's crazy... Why don't they last long? Can you repair them to keep them 6+ years?

plastic lasts hundreds, even thousands of years! planes trains and automobiles are made of plastic.
Four words - don't worry about plastic!

ToxMox
171 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 29, 2010 14:14 |  #56

I think they were referring to lifespan before newer better models outshine them, not break. You should and can get many years out of the bodies.

Canon EOS 550D/T2i | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | 430EX II | Sigma 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20mm | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS Macro | Canon Powershot S100 | Clik Elite ProBody Sport (2011 edition) | Think Tank Retrospective 20 | HorusBennu C-2540 Tripod w/ LX-5 Ballhead | Luma Loop (v2)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,685 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 29, 2010 18:46 |  #57

Wow! Nice shot.

Consider the weight of the lens. 55-250 is a very lightweight lens, so the stress on the mount is much lower than with a big and heavy one. I never heard of a plastic mount failing - as a matter of fact I have a 10yr old el cheapo kit lens with a plastic mount that's been abused in any way imaginable including dropping from at least 5 ft on concrete driveway. And it still takes pictures.

70-200 series lenses are by all accounts fantastic. They also cost about 5 times more (with IS). 55-250 is very good, and its small size and light weight make it a perfect travel lens. I have one and highly recommend it; if and when you decide to upgrade to something better, you're going to lose $100 at most, and have tons of great pics taken with it.

Here's a couple of photos taken from a relatively far distance (30-40 meters) and cropped. The first photo was taken on a very gloomy, rainy day with poor lighting:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,685 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 29, 2010 18:49 |  #58

And here's the bokeh it produces:

HOSTED PHOTO

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,405 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 18:57 as a reply to  @ Amamba's post |  #59

My favorite lens for "just getting going" would have to be the Tamron 17-280 VC superzoom. It's light weight, covers most needs distance-wise (17mm is fairly wide) for most of what you seem to want, and their image stabilization (VC) beats any of the Canon lenses in the same price range, as far as I'm concerned.

It's a great way to have a "good enough" lens to figure out what you want upgrade to when you get better glass. And the IQ on this lens is absolutely nothing to sneer at, it's a good, sharp lens that just needs light at the long end. But you'll find that to be the same limitation on almost any zoom short of moving into the "L" line and/or price range.

Congrats on sticking to your guns on the T2i; I think you'll find you've got a very capable body there.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 30, 2010 02:20 |  #60

I found the 55 - 250 lens (external link) for a decent price. Is this the cheapest or is there somewhere else cheaper?

sponsored links

8,905 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugh, can't make up my mind T2i vs D90
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.