Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why the 7D over the T2i

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,013 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 30, 2010 11:51 |  #31

James Emory wrote in post #9900275 (external link)
Geez, no pics of crashes. Great shot!

So I wish I was doing more than just practicing because there was a crash and the camera was not in rapid fire mode. It was all I could do to point it in the general direction and press the focus and shutter button at the same time. I almost got it but not quite. ;):)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4458584307_4bc407b197_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Exocet ­ 98
105 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2010 11:56 |  #32

maverick678 wrote in post #9898652 (external link)
Auto Focus...yes Auto Focus...one more time Auto Focus :)

The T2i AF system is from the 30D. bw!

5D mk II/BG-E6, 70mm 200 F/2.8 L IS, "Shorty" 40mm. 30mm Sigma Art.

tuacadivers
44 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 30, 2010 12:07 |  #33

Here’s another thing to consider & I'm certain you've already placed both rigs in you're juicy lil meat hooks... I just dropped the 2500 bones for the wife’s new 7D w/ the 28-135 kit lens. Kinda funny cause we were in the same boat as you are. We have had for years, & still have the trusty ol' XT, but were tied between the full frame 5D & the 7D for an upgrade. My biggest issue was not being able to use the lenses we already have, so we opted for the 7D. And between the XT & the new 7D you can tell the 7D is a much better constructed camera. One thing you'll definitely notice is the difference in weight. Don't have the specs on it, but the wife definitely noticed the added weight after lugging the 7D around on her first senior photo shoot a few weeks ago... It takes NOTICABLY higher quality photos than our XT does!!! Have fun & good luck on you're choice!!! Awsome pic 711!!!

SMOOTH FLIGHT?;) THANK A MECHANIC!!! :cool:

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 30, 2010 12:49 as a reply to  @ tuacadivers's post |  #34

Cos the 7D is a man's camera .. and the T2i isn't :)
I expect there's more to it than that .. but for the moment, 'nuff said ;)

My Gear List  :p

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 30, 2010 13:23 |  #35

I'm in the same situation. I had a 350d and a 40D previously (currently have no camera). I can really appreciate the better usability of the 40D and by extension the 7D with the dual dials, and top mounted LCD, and the ability to change things quickly.

However, I can get two 550Ds for the price of a 7D. Thats either a lot of savings, or a lot of money for glass.

And if you don't need to rapidly change settings (realistically thats me at least), then the 550D seems a perfect compromise.

The only thing that gives me pause is the knowledge that the 7D will handle better, and will have better/faster AF. And so my geek side knows that it wants the best option. But my practical side (not usually strong) says get the 550D ,get some decent glass

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2010 13:30 |  #36

Freddy Flash wrote in post #9899939 (external link)
Don't discount the viewfinder. Not just it being (about) 100% but also how big and bright it is. For a cropper it's pretty sweet

honestly I say the viewfinder on my XSI is brighter then my 7d. that frost/grainy coating or whatever it is on the 7d seems to dim it down a bit but not enough to make it unusable or anything just a slight dimming compared.

though it does make focus confirmation easier as well as making use for manual focus though with that grain in the viewfinder

other differences though is the outer focus points become a whole lot more usefull as they are all cross points. well that and you get more of them. one of those things I found myself usually doing center and recompose with the XSI and now I find myself just changing the focus point a lot more often now and doing it the correct way.one of those things it seems wasn't really that big of a deal untill I actually tried it on the new camera.
and not only that but the focus points are adjustable. you want one large point, one smaller point, how about a single point with 3-4 little helper points just incase it can't grab focus. how about a little zone of focus points instead.

ease of use is also a big one. most all settings can be changed and adjusted without me looking away from the viewfinder. took a little work to remember which button was what but now it's much easier to take pictures.

also like that I can change buttons on the camera to fit my own taste a little more. hey lets make that DOF button instead turn from one shot focus to servo focus and back again.

larger and easier to grip. not a huge deal for some but I have larger hands and find this thing is MUCH easier to grip and hold then my XSI.

won't say much on the plastic vs metal body. that plastic on the rebel line up is damn tough even though many won't agree to it.

that wireless flash is a blessing at times I would say. even works fairly well with my non canon flash flash.

8fps is nice. can't say I've had much of a reason to use it yet but soon enough I'm sure.

really in the end though it's more on whta you need and what you can live without. both the 7d and T2i will give you just about the same picture under static conditions it's when things get tricky that the 7d might come out ahead. the other thing is the 7d will be a lot easier to use and nagivate compared to the rebel line if you are doing serious shooting.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

fromSF
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 30, 2010 16:23 as a reply to  @ rx7speed's post |  #37

Haha thanks for all the replies guys definently fed my mind alot of good info and things to think about.

Perfect_10- i like how you say its a mans camera lol

anyways after more studying and on top of that all your guys help im really leaning on that 7D, just thinking about my long term progress as well.

But one thing i did notice is that no one really mentioned any Cons of this camera.
So are there any flaws or cons about it that i or we should know about????????

canon 7D | ef18-55mm | ef75-300mm | canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8mm | canon 430ex | 1x AB800
www.rklisephotography.​com (external link)
www.flickr.com/rklises​f (external link)
www.rklisesf.tumblr.co​m (external link)

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 30, 2010 16:51 |  #38

again I dont have one so my opinions are from quick tries at best buy and what i've seen/read on here, buttttttttt......

It'd be great if it was Full Frame :p
also I've heard the AF systems take soem getting used to and learning proper modes for proper situations

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

Overread
Goldmember
2,189 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 30, 2010 16:55 |  #39

About the only con is that auto focus has become more complex and requires more customising of the settings to get the best performance out of it. This makes it a steeper learning curve and is about the most major thing that can confuse new users.
The only other point is the one I raised regarding lenses and resolution on the 7D when compared to your current camera body and listed lenses.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2010 16:55 |  #40

Exocet 98 wrote in post #9900326 (external link)
The T2i AF system is from the 30D. bw!

Is it bad ? Good ? OK ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 30, 2010 17:03 |  #41

Im going to be honest with you the xsi was my first rebel camera coming from P&S. Really easy to handle and get into. The 7D is another beast. It will require you to fine tune the focus system to your needs. When its dialed in its awesome and when its not you get a headache. That can be anything from user error to a faulty camera. Some one said the 7D is a mans camera and what i say to that is that its a Pro-sumer cam not a consumer line like the rebels. The 7D will take time to learn and master its features. It will also require a different post processing technique than one you might have used on the rebel files. Those are my cons. FYI: I loved the xsi and love the 7D even more!

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2010 17:13 |  #42

Overread wrote in post #9902203 (external link)
The only other point is the one I raised regarding lenses and resolution on the 7D when compared to your current camera body and listed lenses.

Higher resolution cameras do not worsen lens performance.

This myth originates from people staring at 1:1 views of the pixels on screen and failing to account for the fact that doing so means you are looking at a physically much, much larger image overall with the higher pixel count camera.

But if you look at the images with equal size output (whether it is a print or on screen) the higher pixel count camera will give at worst and equal image no matter how mean the lens.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2010 17:18 |  #43

Overread wrote in post #9902203 (external link)
About the only con is that auto focus has become more complex and requires more customising of the settings to get the best performance out of it. This makes it a steeper learning curve and is about the most major thing that can confuse new users.

even so though with the autofocus being more complex and requiring more customizing to get the best performance out of it you can still use the autofocus in regular mode single mode with the normal size (non-spot mode) and have autofocus that is better then the rebel series from the start. it's just to get the best out of it to FAR make it exceed the rebel it takes some work, but still from the get go with the basic settings will still be beter.

as far as lenses and resolution it's a mute point when comparing the 7d to the t2i. they both have the same resolution. either way I still will say the 7d works better then my old XSi with my standard cheapy lenses.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sd850is
103 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2010 17:28 |  #44

just keep in mind tho if you get a 7d....

7d + 17-55 = will break your wrist.... it's freaken heavy as hell LOL

because it's a MAN'S CAMERA!!! :D:D j/k to all the t2i users

7D and T1i |17-55mm f/2.8|50mm f/1.4|Sigma 30mm f/1.4|70-200mm f/2.8L IS|55-250mm|580EXII
Feedback

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 30, 2010 18:26 |  #45

sd850is wrote in post #9902386 (external link)
just keep in mind tho if you get a 7d....

7d + 17-55 = will break your wrist.... it's freaken heavy as hell LOL

because it's a MAN'S CAMERA!!! :D:D j/k to all the t2i users

You should try it with a 70-200 2.8 IS ;)

My Gear List  :p

sponsored links

7,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why the 7D over the T2i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.