Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Oct 2009 (Monday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Is Abe's of Maine?

Firefox190
135 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 29, 2010 23:40 |  #76

I just placed an order for a Canon T1i yesterday. Today I got a call from a sales rep confirming my shipping information. Then came the upsell to a UV Filter and extra battery. I said no thanks and he said "OK, your item will ship out tomorrow."

Easy enough.

www.tovicand.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens

sponsored links
taomore
38 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2010 12:07 |  #77

It is good seller. I bought a camcorder last year from there. They responsed quickly.

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 30, 2010 12:40 |  #78

I am happy with my purchases from them, when I place an order I always get the 'call us' email, but a quick no to their offers and they get the items shipped.

Gear & Feedback

Cross_X
37 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 30, 2010 19:50 |  #79

Just tried to call them, no luck - closed for the holidays, as the answering machine said.
I purchased a 7D to use as a backup camera and a Pixma 9500 mk2 printer - there was a 500$ rebate on the package, so I went for it. The usual upsell call didn't bother me at all, I've ordered from them before and there were no problems - just keep sayin' no - that's easy.
The package arrived today, and I didn't like it from the very beginning: a huge, deformed brown box which looks like it was made from two small ones with help oа brown packing tape - ugh! Then I opened it - and was a bit shocked - the printer and the camera were in the same box, and they were loose - all three(or four - don't remember) liter-size air bubbles were deflated. I left the printer unopened, but took the 7D out to charge as I have to catch a plane tomorrow afternoon and need to check the camera prior to putting it in my backpack. CHarged the battery, put it in the camera, and here came the consequences of such a rude way of packing - Err30. No way! The camera isn't working. I checked on this forum - Err30 means the problem with the mirror unit. Well, that's something to expect from that kind of packaging...
Left a voicemail for them, as there's nothing else that I can do - they're closed.
I'm waiting for the moment they open after their holidays, so I can call and discuss the way they want to keep me as a customer(bought a ton of misc stuff from them - totaled more than 10K), and solve the issue with the camera.
Yeah, so much for packing.

Best regards, Alex
No more digital. Medium format all the way

lumpydog
118 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 31, 2010 07:11 as a reply to  @ Firefox190's post |  #80

Avoid Abe's. I sent a good friend there and they bait/switched her...

She bought a Lumix point/shoot and a Sandisk memory card that I had recommended. Abe's called her and said the memory card was out of stock. But they had another card they could sell her that was faster (not more capacity) for $20 more ($46). She balked at that price and they lowered the price of the alternate card from $46 to $36 dollars... She bit. Too bad.

The card was a Transcend brand - a cheaper brand that I would not recommend. The card Abe's sold her was still (after they cut the price for her) $20 more than it was being sold for at all reputable web sites (Amazon, Adorama, B&H).

I called Abes an hour later and they told me the card she originally wanted (The Sandisk) was still in stock. A clear case of gouging by switching to a cheaper product and charging more money.

I purchased a lens there a while back and they called and emailed me saying they needed to talk to me before shipping the lens. When I called to ask what was wrong, they tried to upsell me accessories. I was pissed - they basically were holding my order until they could talk to me in person and try to gouge me. I only needed to say no once and they shipped what I ordered at the price I ordered it for.

They are not pushy but they are employing bait/switch. Expect a call and an email after your order - they won't ship until you talk to them in person. Stand your ground. If something you ordered is out of stock, tell them you will get it elsewhere.

Too bad... these guys used to be more honest.

Below is the email they sent me when I ordered my lens. My order was not going to ship until they talked to me first so they could "show me why Abe's was #1 in customer service and satisfaction". Number one by who's measure?

They hold your order hostage until you call them and let them try to sell you overpriced accessories.

The e-mail you will receive:

---------------

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for your recent on-line order with Abe’s Of Maine. We appreciate your business!

My name is Robby, and I am your personal Sales Agent. I have been assigned to process your order.

It is my goal to make sure your experience with Abe’s Of Maine is as satisfying and as smooth as

possible. Please call me at 1-800-992-2237 ext 245 in regards to your order. For your convenience,

when calling, please also provide me with the confirmation order number that was provided to you.

I hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to showing you why Abes Of Maine is # 1 in customer

Service and Satisfaction.

Sincerely

Robby L.

Abe’s Of Maine
1-800-992-2237 ext 245
1-732 225 1777 ext 245 (overseas)
1-732-379-5026 (fax)

---------------
Gear: Canon 7D | 10-22mm EF-S | 17-55mm EF-S | 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II | 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 430EX II

aubsxc
210 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 31, 2010 11:39 |  #81

Abe's of Maine is a scumbag dealer and has always been a scumbag dealer as far back as I remember. They appear to run their business model based on the fact that a majority of buyers looking for camera or other electronic gear are not well educated on the details and can be bilked using aggressive bait and switch and upselling tactics. And if you think their sales tactics are bad, wait till you need service for something you bought at their store. I don't understand why people continue to patronise them when you you can buy the same products at B&H or Adorama for pretty much the same price. ???

---
5DII/BG-E6, 1V-HS, 17-40/4L, 24-105/4L IS, 28-105/3.5-4.5USM, 70-200/2.8L IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5USM, 300/4L IS, 1.4x II TC , 50/1.4, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2010 13:04 |  #82

aubsxc wrote in post #9907071 (external link)
I don't understand why people continue to patronise them when you you can buy the same products at B&H or Adorama for pretty much the same price. ???

Because most of us only had to call them and say no thanks and we got the item we ordered. And don't forget the 10% discount they offer as well.

Gear & Feedback

Tim ­ Kostka
342 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 31, 2010 23:14 |  #83

I don't understand why people continue to patronise them when you you can buy the same products at B&H or Adorama for pretty much the same price. ???

I use them because they're sometimes cheaper, often significantly so, and I've never had issues. Even returned an item with no problems. And they're an authorized dealer, so the warranty is valid.

Zenfolio (external link) | Picasa Web (external link)
Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-105mm L | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 18-135mm | Sigma 50-500mm | 580EX II | Feisol CT-3441SB Tripod

DVS_WiNdz
Cream of the Crop
9,835 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2010 21:15 |  #84

vitacura wrote in post #9907590 (external link)
And don't forget the 10% discount they offer as well.

How do you get a 10% discount?

Stephen L.
Gear list

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2010 21:25 |  #85

DVS_WiNdz wrote in post #9916870 (external link)
How do you get a 10% discount?

Use code AALOYAL.

Gear & Feedback

Firefox190
135 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 02, 2010 00:33 |  #86

vitacura wrote in post #9916927 (external link)
Use code AALOYAL.

Is that valid on just accessories or cameras too?

www.tovicand.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 02, 2010 01:12 as a reply to  @ Firefox190's post |  #87

LOYALTY10 for $10 off. AALOYAL doesn't work for me.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 02, 2010 01:13 |  #88

aggressive bait and switch and upselling tactics

And strangely I bought flashes bodies and lenses from them and actually got what I ordered, and all I had to do was a simple "no" when they called for upsell.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

lumpydog
118 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 02, 2010 14:02 |  #89

HyperYagami wrote in post #9917971 (external link)
And strangely I bought flashes bodies and lenses from them and actually got what I ordered, and all I had to do was a simple "no" when they called for upsell.

That's fine. You knew better. The general public does not - and Abe's take's advantage of those people.

When you're told something is out of stock (when it's not) and offered something "better" for more money - when the "better" item is actually cheaper quality... That's wrong - it's predatory.

I'm not sending my business their way.

Don't feed the sharks guys. Companies like this need to go away. Vote with your dollars.

---------------
Gear: Canon 7D | 10-22mm EF-S | 17-55mm EF-S | 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II | 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 430EX II

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 02, 2010 17:42 |  #90

Ordered from Abes four times and I've never had an issue with them. I think it's when they don't have the product in stock they do the whole call / ask you if you want a UV filter, etc. and then they ship it out. I've received some items the very next business day (NJ to NYC takes one day for UPS to ship), but some items took a week to arrive.

sponsored links

7,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Is Abe's of Maine?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.