Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm 1.2L Lens?

cristphoto
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 08:15 |  #1

I'm considering getting the 50 1.2L lens but have read mixed reviews of it. All my other lenses are L models and work great. My question is has Canon made running "unannounced" updates to this lens? Does anyone use a recent (past few years) version of this lens they would like to comment on. Thanks. Steve

!DX MK II, 5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 24-105LIS II, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 29, 2010 09:13 |  #2

Whether or not they silently updated it is still debated. I've got one that went back to Canon after July '07 or thereabouts when this first came about - and while I won't say it doesn't exhibit SOME focus shift... It's been a fantastic lens for me, that I enjoy very much.

I'd say you owe it to yourself to at least try it out and go from there. It really is a nice lens with a unique signature to it.

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

Redfish
784 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 29, 2010 16:19 |  #3

With the microadjustments available on your camera(s) in your profile, you should not have a problem. I just got a 50 / 1.2 and it was front focused - made the proper adjustment and it is as sharp as any other lens

Good luck

Steve

Canon 1DXIII (2) Eos R 5R on the way 15-600 /1.2 - 5.6
6000ex's Bee's and boxes & PW's
RRS tripods and heads

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 29, 2010 16:29 |  #4

Ive read what many had to say over at the FM forum reviews on this lens. I was really debating on getting the 50L, 35L, or the 85L. I ended up with the 85L.

But while looking at the reviews for the 50L i noticed many saying just that. That the lens has to of been upgraded because people seem to be having less of the issues the 50L was so prone to have before. Hope that helps. I think the 50L is my next lens as well.

Good luck.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 29, 2010 16:34 as a reply to  @ chomish's post |  #5

Not noticed any problem with mine. It's a good and very useful lens obviously for low light work. I have to say that I don't use it all that often since I tend to shoot more with zooms.

Cheers

IMAGE: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif

H
IMAGE: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/a035.gif

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2010 19:57 |  #6

I just sent mine into the Irvine repair facility today for calibration. Not the problems that reviews are talking about though. I think it just got bumped around too hard during shipment.

Deep ­ Pocket
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 21:35 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I'm planning to pick one up too, but I think you will get the most out of it if you shoot a lot of f/1.2.
Otherwise you might be better off with the 1.4 because IQ is very slightly different. Highlights are just very slightly more rounded, and you have to pixel peep closely to notice. It, however, handles lens flare a LOT better than the 1.4, but then will you pay that $900 more for that, that's your call.

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 29, 2010 23:06 |  #8

cristphoto wrote in post #9892145 (external link)
I'm considering getting the 50 1.2L lens but have read mixed reviews of it. All my other lenses are L models and work great. My question is has Canon made running "unannounced" updates to this lens? Does anyone use a recent (past few years) version of this lens they would like to comment on. Thanks. Steve

In a word, No.

I've read the same old story from UW and UX date coded lenses.

Actually, I have one of the ones with the "Unannounced" update. These started with some UW date code. The texture of the finish is slightly different than the prior "version".

It's a design fault or feature...your pick.

That said, as you can see, there are many happy owners out there so best thing you can do is buy it from somewhere with a good return policy, and see if the lens works for you.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 29, 2010 23:36 |  #9

It is my very favorite lens and it rarely leaves my camera body now. Really great glass.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 29, 2010 23:54 |  #10

I am also considering replacing my Sigma with the 50L. But there is something about the OOF lights that the 50L produces that doesn't tickle my fancy. Instead of being smooth, it looks harsh?

For example, light through foliage looks very harsh. Not sure if I can describe it any better!

It is still pending decision.

angusporter.com (external link)

billppw350z
210 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 30, 2010 22:01 |  #11

If the decrease in “I got a bad copy” posts and increase in “10” ratings on FM are any indication, there has been a marked improvement in the quality of the 50 1.2L in the past year or two. I doubt that there has been an “unannounced update” or “secret fix.” My 50 L that I purchased in December of 2006 has a date code of UU1000 (October 2006) and it works great.

I believe it has to do with Canon finally working out the bugs in the 50 1.2L’s manufacturing process, and their repair technicians starting to figure out how to fix the bad ones that inevitably come out. It is a relatively new and difficult to make design. It could also have to do with micro focus adjustment and improving auto focusing ability as better cameras come out. Maybe it’s starting to dawn on Canon that their 50mm flagship standard lens should never suck, and are doing a better job of quality assurance.

For what ever reasons, while there were no “unannounced updates,” your odds of getting a good copy have probably gotten better simply because Canon has gotten better at building the 50L.

As Nicksan suggested, buy the lens from a dealer that has a liberal return policy. Try it out for a week or two. If you cannot deal with the insignificant focus shift at mid apertures/close distances or mediocre corner sharpness at wide apertures, then return it and get your money back. If you get a bad/soft copy, send it back and get another.

It’s a great lens. Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

Bill
Regardless of the genre or medium, I just like capturing beauty and recording memories
billppw350z.smugmug.co​m/ (external link)
Gear List

vandenwauver
86 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 30, 2010 22:16 |  #12

Mine is UX coded and has given me nothing but extremely sharp shots from day 1. I had read a lot of the mixed reviews but most of them were dated. I am using both 5DII and 7D and didn't even need to use Micro-Adjustment. If I only had to take 1 lens with me on a trip, I'd use this one. (I also have the 24,35,135,100M, and lots of others).

Mark

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 30, 2010 22:18 |  #13

How can you fix something that behaves a certain way by design?
In other words, if Canon doesn't think it's broken, there's really nothing to fix.

If we are talking about regular BF/FF, then yeah, hopefully they have straightened that out.

Just because the lens works for you doesn't mean there aren't issues. That's like saying there was never a 1DMKIII problem, yet you only shot it in Single Shot mode. :lol:

Scout_Pete
220 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2010 10:40 |  #14

nicksan wrote in post #9903936 (external link)
How can you fix something that behaves a certain way by design?
In other words, if Canon doesn't think it's broken, there's really nothing to fix. ...

I don't own the lens (yet), and this is probably just me sorting through semantics and being verbose ... I have a little ancient history working within Quality Assurance and Quality Control processes in an unrelated industry. Highly engineered and tightly spec'd QA processes and QC procedures are 'living' processes and procedures in the sense that they are connected and very reliant on product performance and customer service reporting. At least, that is, when they are run well.

Once a frequently occurring problem emerges, internal testing steps determine whether it is a field use issue, a distribution issue, a manufacturing issue, or a design issue (those are my general terms). The proper tendency is to rule out each possibility from the way a customer uses the product in the field in a reverse process direction--as far back as it takes to identify the source or sources that cause the problem. Validating the R&D and design is certainly active, too, but it never makes sense to throw away product development and tooling expenses until you know you actually, factually have a design problem.

That's a long way to say that when we hear a lens is "not broken" it really only means that they haven't identified any problems with the actual design. Of course it could be anything else in manufacturing or distribution and they could correct the issue. Theoretically the lens (in this case) would begin to perform better as if there were "unofficial changes." It only means they might now be doing something better than they were doing before, but the CAD drawings and key specs haven't changed at all. I hope that's the case. I have my eye on this one after I choke down my tax liability next week. :cry:

Summary Gear List

paul ­ chiu
171 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2010 10:59 |  #15

Between this F1.2 and the 85mm, I like the 50 more and it is attached to my 5DM2 a lot.
Depending on what you use the 50 1.2L for, I use it for 1080p video more than stills, so responsive focusing or what they call "breath" is important. the 50 1.2L beathes very well.

I bought mine within the last month and serial is 18250xx, so it is what's on the shelves now. there maybe a IS version coming out as that would really help in 1080p acquisition with say a 5DM2.

I have here a HD video that shows the 50 1.2L in actual use. no external lighting and mostly in the 1.2 to 1.6 area. you will see some stills as well.

hope this helps!

paul

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=IvpVFdUgu2U&h​d=1 (external link)

cristphoto wrote in post #9892145 (external link)

BillyChiu.com (external link)
My YouTube Page (external link)

sponsored links

7,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm 1.2L Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.