Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why the 7D over the T2i

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,013 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 31, 2010 17:08 |  #61

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #9908665 (external link)
Edit - now I come to think of it, the 7D is a bit like marmite on this board. You either love it or you hate it!

I hope you don't have to like marmite to have to like the 7D. That would suck. Marmite reminds me of foundation waterproofing.. In fact I'm sure many builders have used marmite instead of tar and no one would know the difference.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 31, 2010 17:31 |  #62

gjl711 wrote in post #9908994 (external link)
I hope you don't have to like marmite to have to like the 7D. That would suck. Marmite reminds me of foundation waterproofing.. In fact I'm sure many builders have used marmite instead of tar and no one would know the difference.

Except the woodchucks. Wait, this explains the number of dead woodchucks in our neighborhood... hmm....

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 31, 2010 18:45 as a reply to  @ Amamba's post |  #63

I had a very brief hands on with the 550D today (T2i)

It has a ton of buttons on the back, seemingly randomly scattered. Reminds me of a P&S which isn't a good thing. It also has just the one dial on top. I like the twin dial approach of my 50D a lot, but I'm not sure I realistically need to rapidly change both settings on the spot, so maybe I'm overblowing that importance.

And as for their being no top LCD? Don't you have most basic info - shutter speed etc - in the viewfinder? Might make a reasonable alternative to using the rear LCD which I agree is annoying

Sizewise it was pretty good. Yes its small, but it isn't too small for me. And its pretty lightweight which is handy for carryign around everywhere.

So yes, I'd say the 50D (and by extension the 7D) is much more ergonomic to use, and anyone that shoots a lot, and under changing condiitions would see a clear benefit from that, that £££ signs just keep popping up.

In the UK, a 550D with kit lens is less than half the price of a 7D body only.

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

Ken ­ Nielsen
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 31, 2010 18:53 |  #64

"a 550D with kit lens is less than half the price of a 7D body only."

That could easily be the deciding factor. Price was a big consideration when I bought my first DSLR (the Rebel XTi) and it was also just the right camera for me as a beginner, and helped me learn 'tons' about digital photography. Not sorry about that purchase at all. After two years, it wound up as the trade-in on a 7D.

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2010 06:54 |  #65

these questions can be quite quickly answered.

Ask your self the following

Is your current cameras body to small?
Do you have a problem with your cameras AF system?
Do you have a problem with you cameras build / erganomics?
Do you wish you had micro adjustments?

If the answer is yes to those then get a 7D. If its no the T2i should be just fine.

The person behind the camera is soooooo much more important. Go look at the T2i and 7D picture threads. Not many shots in either but over all the T2i thread has nicers shots.... and its not because of the camera.

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 01, 2010 07:13 |  #66

Genome wrote in post #9912259 (external link)
t

The person behind the camera is soooooo much more important. Go look at the T2i and 7D picture threads. Not many shots in either but over all the T2i thread has nicers shots.... and its not because of the camera.

I never realized the T2i photographers were better, maybe it's possible the XSi photographers are better than 50D photogs

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 01, 2010 07:35 |  #67

guntoter wrote in post #9899223 (external link)
Interesting comment. I can see how L glass would have good IQ on any camera compared to low grade Kit Lenses.
What about Canon's meduim grade primes on the 7D? Lenses such as 28mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8. Are there a lot of glass imperfections in those lenses that the 18mp sensor would amplify?

I have a new 7D and i own the 28mm f/1.8 (EF) and a 60mm f/2.8 macro (EF-S) and these lenses work fantastic on the camera. Just my $.02.

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
aepoc.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,013 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2010 07:39 |  #68

... Go look at the T2i and 7D picture threads. Not many shots in either but over all the T2i thread has nicers shots.... and its not because of the camera.

There are several problems with all those "show me your ?? shot" threads. First, all the shots have been cherry picked and only the best of the best have been displayed. That tells you nothing about the consistency of the camera only that at least once it took a very nice picture.

Secondly, the pictures are displayed at 1024 by 1024 at the max and even then in compressed jpeg. The file sizes are 150k max. So for a 7D file (and I'm assuming the T2i as well) whose jpegs out of camera are about 5.5 meg. That means you are evaluating a cameras performance on only 3% of the picture data. 97% of the picture data has been thrown away. Thats not really much to go on.

Lastly, all the pictures have bee post processed, some rather heavily. How can one tell the performance of a camera when the picture has been altered?

So, you looking at the best that the camera can do, evaluating only 3% of the image data, and that 3% has been heavily post processed.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2010 08:05 |  #69

dont take what i said so literally. I just meant there are some photos in the T2i thread that blow the 7D thread away.... the reason they do this is the photographers eye for the photo. I was in no way implying the t2i takes higher quality photo's.

People talk about camera bodies as if it is the sole reason why a photo turns out great. The bottom line is that all of canon (and most other brands) cameras will be able to take amazing photos as long as the right person is behind the camera.

You need to look at the body as a tool and see if it offers you what you need. If you buy a 7d and dont use any of its features that it offers over a t2i then whats the point. Just because something is better doesnt mean its better for you or the other item is rubbish.

For example if someone had a T2i and just did landscape photography then they wouldn't really take advantage of any of the 7d's features except maybe micro adjustments (less important on wide angle) and weather sealing dependant on what type of landscape photography they need.

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 08:12 |  #70

these questions can be quite quickly answered.

Ask your self the following

Is your current cameras body to small?
Do you have a problem with your cameras AF system?
Do you have a problem with you cameras build / erganomics?
Do you wish you had micro adjustments?

If the answer is yes to those then get a 7D. If its no the T2i should be just fine.

its not that simple though.

I don't have a current camera. I previously had a 50D but sold it last year.
AF was fine on it
I have a problem with the ergonomics of the 550D, prefer the 50D layout. Size was fine
micro adjustments I can live without.

Problem is weighting that. If price isn't an issue then your questions are fine, and the answers are simple. But is improved ergonomics worth such a huge price hike?

What I basically want is the 550D but in a 50D body. The gap between the 550D and 7D costwise is too large.

As I no longer have any Canon equipment, I've considered going Nikon, but I don't know what the equivalent to a '60D' would be.

my stuff

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 01, 2010 08:13 |  #71

aepoc wrote in post #9912414 (external link)
I have a new 7D and i own the 28mm f/1.8 (EF) and a 60mm f/2.8 macro (EF-S) and these lenses work fantastic on the camera. Just my $.02.

Glad to hear that. Unless something "sinks my financial ship" in the next month, I will be buying a 7D and probably the 17-55 f2.8.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2010 08:48 |  #72

its that simple for the person who asked the question between the T2I and the 7D.

You have to ask yourself different questions.
Why did you sell the 50D if it was fine?

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 10:14 as a reply to  @ Genome's post |  #73

I sold my 50D as I just wasn't using it that much. I tend to dive really deep into hobbies and then rebound. Selling the 50D was the rebound.

I now miss having a responsive camera and want to get back into it. Thats why my head says 550D, but my heart says 7D (my wallet says my wife needs to change her car first but I'm trying to ignore that)

my stuff

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2010 10:30 |  #74

why not just buy another 50D?

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,624 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 01, 2010 11:03 |  #75

On a somewhat joking, yet somewhat serious note, maybe you should address your ADHD. You say you "tend to dive really deep into hobbies and then rebound." If you already know that about yourself, why not anticipate it and/or focus on that first so that this doesn't happen again in the future.

Do you *really* want to get into photography or not? If so, pick a system and stick with it. No one cares if you pick a Canon or a Nikon. Both can get you great photos. Flip-flopping by folks doing this as a hobby means either 1) you have too much money and you can frivolously spend it, or 2) you're too much of a gear head, more about the gear, and not about the photo taking.

If the 7D's too far out of reach financially, then wait another 6-12 months. Though the price of a new unit will never come down that much. But if you absolutely need/want a camera, then go ahead and buy it. I had a 40D before. And although I "liked" it, the moment I had it in my hands, I felt I'd eventually "upgrade" to something else (and that's before the 50D was announced).

With the 7D, I didn't get that same feeling. I am thoroughly impressed with this camera and its features. This camera feels like a keeper to *me*. So it was worth every penny of the full price I paid.

Canon or Nikon. Whatever you decide, commit to it and take photos instead of worrying about your gear. But if you suddenly become super wealthy, then buy both to satisfy the gear head in you and you won't ever need to worry.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

7,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why the 7D over the T2i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.