Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 23 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Mail-In Rebate status--nothing available online. Gah.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 08, 2010 00:14 |  #31

Dr.Pete wrote in post #9534577 (external link)
Well, it seems that they've come through. I'm actually impressed with Canon's responsiveness.

That being said, why do mail-in rebates make sense? It would seem that the instant rebate, a la the L lenses last month, would be much less resource-intensive.

The only theory I have for the use of mail-in rebates is that the companies use them to encourage a purchase, hoping that a certain percentage of customers will forget to mail in the form, lose the stuff, etc., thereby saving them some cash. The cynic strikes again...

But seriously, kudos to Canon for their help.

because someone makes money on everyone who gives up. when i bought my 5d kit i would have never gotten my $700 rebate if i hadn't been so persistent. everyone was having problems back then because the middleman -- young america -- was making lots of "errors" that required follow through for you to get your rebate.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2010 18:08 |  #32

I just got my $500 camera/printer rebate today. 6 weeks from the time of them getting the docs. Pretty nice.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Quatroad
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2010 23:36 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #33

mail-in rebates make a lot of sense to the company - the rebate take/success rate is infinitely smaller than the % of items purchased under the program, therefore the companies "lose" less $$$ on these sales than it would first appear. Sure, there are aggravated, irate, and livid (ex-)customers, but that's a small price to pay for holding on to an extra $400-$500/transaction. Also, remember a lot of these programs are really a subsidy to the reseller. You pay B&H or whoever full price on that sale. These programs are often really just a disguised vendor financing tool for their retail channel, not really a way of making their end-purchasers happy.

1DMkIIn * 70-200L f/4 * 24-70L f/2.8
Contax N 100 f/2.8 (EOS converted)
Contax N 25-85 f/3.5-4.5 (EOS converted)
50 II f/1.8 * 20-35 f/3.5-4.5

Dr.Pete
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2010 23:42 |  #34

Well, according to the site my rebate check is in the mail... Did I mention I hate mail-in rebates? :)

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 01, 2010 15:36 |  #35

I mailed my $500 rebate on March 5th with delivery confirmation. I checked the website yesterday and they have already mailed my check. I should have my check in less than 5 weeks from the day I sent it, pretty good for a mail in rebate. Anybody else have a quick and easy response with their mail in rebate recently.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2010 03:31 |  #36

I sent in my rebate last Monday 3/22 and just got an email confirmation that my rebate was received. And it also says Audit Completed. Now just waiting for the check! :D

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

ansh25
38 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2010 16:51 |  #37

Quatroad wrote in post #9605552 (external link)
mail-in rebates make a lot of sense to the company - the rebate take/success rate is infinitely smaller than the % of items purchased under the program, therefore the companies "lose" less $$$ on these sales than it would first appear. Sure, there are aggravated, irate, and livid (ex-)customers, but that's a small price to pay for holding on to an extra $400-$500/transaction. Also, remember a lot of these programs are really a subsidy to the reseller. You pay B&H or whoever full price on that sale. These programs are often really just a disguised vendor financing tool for their retail channel, not really a way of making their end-purchasers happy.

Very true, don't remember where I read it about the average redemption for rebates is just 30%. Forget the $400-500 given above but even at $50, that's a pretty chunk of change.

On a happier note, I submitted my Canon $50 loyalty rebate pretty late but got the check in just over month.

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 04, 2010 11:30 |  #38

I received my check yesterday, took less than a month from the day I sent it out, quickest I have ever received a Mail in Rebate.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 05, 2010 12:15 |  #39

The few times I used rebate with Canon, I didn't even bother sending it in. I waited a month after the purchase and called them and told them I sent them in and want to check on status. They can't find it then all I need to do now if fax it in to someone there and they processed it right away and I received my money fairly quick. This has worked for me a few times.

I might add that once I was beyond the deadline and forgot to send it in and decided to call and told them I did sent them in and they just asked me to fax it in again and processed it quickly.

drocpsu
472 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2010 22:17 |  #40

ansh25 wrote in post #9926920 (external link)
Very true, don't remember where I read it about the average redemption for rebates is just 30%. Forget the $400-500 given above but even at $50, that's a pretty chunk of change.

On a happier note, I submitted my Canon $50 loyalty rebate pretty late but got the check in just over month.

I did the $50 loyalty rebate too, but it took a couple months to get mine back. However, on a positive note, I apparently hadn't registered my old camera on their site, but they sent me an email thanking me for my loyalty and chose to honor the rebate anyway. I thought that was pretty great. I don;t know how many other companies would do that.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/drocpsu (external link)
Canon T1i | 18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
| Slik & Giottos tripod

sponsored links

3,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Mail-In Rebate status--nothing available online. Gah.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.