Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold T1i and most lenses, what should I replace with for EOS 3?

flyboy89
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2010 20:56 |  #1

Hey guys, I just sold off most of my equipment due to financial crisis, but I still want to be in the photography game! I would like some help choosing good lenses for portraits when using a canon film SLR (EOS 3) or 5d since they have the same full frame effect. Some of my limitations are going to be lower ISO films, 400 or below probably, because of concerns about excessive noise. First is this something reasonable to be worried about? So far I have only shot iso 100 or iso 200 film with this EOS 3 and have not noticed noise. I also imagine that it would be more pleasant to look at, but I don't know yet.

Second, I realised that most of my photography was taken with the 17-40 L when I used lightroom to see the distribution of my shots. This was on a T1i, so with this new lack of crop in mind, what should I replace this range with? The qualifications are : price, low light ability, and it working on full frame.

I do still have my 430 ex ii and 50mm f1.4, and which have helped me take photos in dark clubs and stuff, so maybe that will be able to help me get by with perhaps a less wide open lens.

Another question I have is, what kinds of films should I buy? I am really not too familiar with the different brands, although I have tried Fujifilm Superia 200 and it looks nice. I would like recommendations for black and white films, where to get them developed, and colour film recommendations as well please :).

Thank you everyone for being on this forum and helping people like me with their questions.

sponsored links
MMURAD
626 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2010 21:21 |  #2

I don't have an answer for you as I could not imagine having only a film camera.
but I think that for the cost of film and processing that you could get a use xti or something and have a decent digital camera.

good luck

Name: Mike / 7D gripped / Tamron 90 2.8 macro / Tamron 10-24mm / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300vc / Sigma 150-500os / Canon 580ex II / YN468 / 2 YN460II's / RF602 triggers / Induro C414 Tripod / Induro BDH2 Ballhead / Induro Monopod with Manfrotto Tilt head
My Flickr (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2010 22:42 as a reply to  @ MMURAD's post |  #3

I see older bodies (20d, XT, XTi) in $200-$250 range on local Craigslist. Given the circumstances, consider downgrading 50mm f/1.4 to 50mm f/1.8 Mk II and picking up one of the older digital bodies.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 01, 2010 22:48 |  #4

Do you really want to work with film, or do you see it as a way of saving money?
If the latter, you are mistaken - digital is far cheaper per frame, and I'd suggest that you get a 350D with an 18-55 IS.

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 02, 2010 01:49 |  #5

Shooting film for making photography cheaper? :confused:
Don't think so.

I used a 400D + 50mm F1.8 solely for a couple of months.
For my purposes it was great

Camera • lenses

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 02, 2010 05:23 |  #6

Shoot a couple dozen rolls of film, develop and print them and you could've bought a second-hand 5D (OK, rebel then..). My 'one body, one lens' combo on a 'budget' would be a 5D classic and a 24-105L. On a budget get a crop rebel and the 17-40L again if you liked it the first time around. it's what I shot with great pleasure for 4 years before upgrading.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 02, 2010 05:34 |  #7

flyboy89 wrote in post #9916777 (external link)
Another question I have is, what kinds of films should I buy?.

what is this thing you call "film" ?

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 02, 2010 05:37 |  #8

I would like to work with film, so far what I do is just have a photo cd made for about 3 to 5 dollars, then choose any negatives I like to have printed. Its also a way of forcing myself to limit my shots to things I actually want, instead of the spray and pray method I used in the past haha.

I was actually considering getting a G series camera to use with my flash for more casual situations, as a way to keep the overall cost of the film usage. Maybe a G9 since its older and less expensive now...

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 02, 2010 05:37 |  #9

mattia wrote in post #9918448 (external link)
Shoot a couple dozen rolls of film, develop and print them and you could've bought a second-hand 5D (OK, rebel then..). My 'one body, one lens' combo on a 'budget' would be a 5D classic and a 24-105L. On a budget get a crop rebel and the 17-40L again if you liked it the first time around. it's what I shot with great pleasure for 4 years before upgrading.

That's not really on a budget :lol:

18-55 IS wil do just fine I think.

Camera • lenses

sponsored links

1,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold T1i and most lenses, what should I replace with for EOS 3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.