Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2010 (Friday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which image looks "better", 5DM2 vs G11"
1st image looks better(more vivid, better colors etc.)
40%
2nd image looks better(more vivid, better colors etc.)
60%

25 voters, 25 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

URGENT C&C: 5DM2 jpeg vs G11 jpeg

IVOlution
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2010 08:08 |  #1

Here you have two almost indetical images, 2 min time differance. One shot with 5DMii and the other with the G11...same settings, manual, resized in PS. I am a bit confused, I just got my 5DMII and been comparing the quality...I must say, G11 is a damn good camera. I guess i'll have to learn to drive my "ferrari", but still, can not be that G11 is giving me better results. So please tell me what do you think about those to images with out knowing which one is G11 and which one is 5D Mark II. Colors etc...
Thank you.
P.S. I am not sure if I am even asking the correct question or if is it posible to compare these cameras in way I just did...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

my.com (external link) - my Flick (external link)r - my FB (external link)
---------------

Show me what you do at night! --- Got water? post here!

sponsored links
dip
128 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 02, 2010 08:22 |  #2

the bottom is the 5D

imo, the way that you shot these photos does not really allow for the 5D to shine. they looked quite rushed and don't show what the cameras are capable of doing.

Canon 6D | 24mm f/2.8 IS | 35mm f/2 IS
[YOUTUBE CHANNEL (external link)]

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2010 08:25 |  #3

i think they both look like crap honestly. maybe learn to shoot off of the program modes and focus manually.

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 02, 2010 11:56 as a reply to  @ RiaGurl's post |  #4

On this website you can compare the images from different cameras just select the 5dm2 and the G11, if you click on the image it opens up.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Corser1
428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 02, 2010 13:33 |  #5

lannes wrote in post #9920135 (external link)
On this website you can compare the images from different cameras just select the 5dm2 and the G11, if you click on the image it opens up.

Thanks for the nice link! I'll have to give that a shot sometime.

Ray: Canon 5DII / 30D / 24-70L / 85 1.8 / Alien Bees 800 / Canon Speedlites

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 14:06 |  #6

The top picture looks like there's more available light. During a sunset (looks like a sunset anyway), even 2 minutes can be a lot of time. Even with the extra light, the top pic looks either noisier or posterized, can't tell from the small image.

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

IVOlution
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2010 14:39 |  #7

dip wrote in post #9919014 (external link)
the bottom is the 5D

Yepp, the second is 5D

imo, the way that you shot these photos does not really allow for the 5D to shine. they looked quite rushed and don't show what the cameras are capable of doing.

true, i just wanted a quicky! open the window set them and shoot...

RiaGurl wrote in post #9919026 (external link)
i think they both look like crap honestly. maybe learn to shoot off of the program modes and focus manually.

Hahahaha LoL! Good one...the thing is, this is manual...same settings.

lannes wrote in post #9920135 (external link)

This is great! Thank you, very usefull info...

Lyndon Chen wrote in post #9920875 (external link)
The top picture looks like there's more available light. During a sunset (looks like a sunset anyway), even 2 minutes can be a lot of time. Even with the extra light, the top pic looks either noisier or posterized, can't tell from the small image.

the 1st one is G11...i guess more poor quality.
Tnx guys!

I have to go out and play more!

---------------

peter ­ nap
581 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2010 14:43 as a reply to  @ dip's post |  #8

Real nice!

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 02, 2010 16:22 |  #9

it is real nice. i dont see a top and bottom btw, just a left and right. he asked for quick and honest critique and critisism.

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 02, 2010 16:32 |  #10

What kind of picture styles were you using, and white balance? I AM assuming you shot in JPG not RAW...

The shot from the G11 is also wider, which is more pleasing to the eye.

It truly is. If you had shot the 5D image first and then the G11 image, I bet you would have opposite results.

Now go shoot some portraits and let us know which camera is better. ;)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2010 16:40 |  #11
bannedPermanently

RiaGurl wrote in post #9919026 (external link)

hahaa

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 16:43 |  #12

The image on the right looks like a darker exposure compared to the one on the right (which makes the colors look more vivid). You have to remember that there isn't perfect consistency between camera meters - even if the settings were identical, two cameras of the same model may read a scene slightly differently; two cameras of different models almost certainly will. What you're doing here starts to become apples to oranges...

It sounds like you're shooting in JPEG, not converting from RAW. If this is the case, are the "PictureStyle" settings the same on both cameras? (I don't remember if the G-series even has/lets you adjust PictureStyles.) If they're not the same, or if the G11 doesn't have the PictureStyles, then you're talking about a whole different set of JPEG processing on each image. Again, apples to oranges.

IVOlution
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2010 17:00 |  #13

RiaGurl wrote in post #9921640 (external link)
it is real nice. i dont see a top and bottom btw, just a left and right. he asked for quick and honest critique and critisism.

Ria it's OK!!! Hahaha...no worries, I respect honest answer and you are right about that as well! Hahaha

DStanic wrote in post #9921692 (external link)
What kind of picture styles were you using, and white balance? I AM assuming you shot in JPG not RAW...

The shot from the G11 is also wider, which is more pleasing to the eye.

It truly is. If you had shot the 5D image first and then the G11 image, I bet you would have opposite results.

Now go shoot some portraits and let us know which camera is better. ;)

JPG and AWB and yes I agree that wider is more pleasing to the eye. :/

merp wrote in post #9921736 (external link)
hahaa

I was laughing as well...Hahaha I still am...so true the comment!

Pennington wrote in post #9921749 (external link)
The image on the right looks like a darker exposure compared to the one on the right (which makes the colors look more vivid). You have to remember that there isn't perfect consistency between camera meters - even if the settings were identical, two cameras of the same model may read a scene slightly differently; two cameras of different models almost certainly will. What you're doing here starts to become apples to oranges...

It sounds like you're shooting in JPEG, not converting from RAW. If this is the case, are the "PictureStyle" settings the same on both cameras? (I don't remember if the G-series even has/lets you adjust PictureStyles.) If they're not the same, or if the G11 doesn't have the PictureStyles, then you're talking about a whole different set of JPEG processing on each image. Again, apples to oranges.

Hmmmmmmm!
nice explanation Pennington...tnx.

---------------

sponsored links

1,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
URGENT C&C: 5DM2 jpeg vs G11 jpeg
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.