Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 02:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The NO ZOO ANIMALS challenge.

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 16:16 as a reply to  @ post 9912122 |  #16

Here are a few

IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/268872973_Z7rpJ-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/268899063_XqdDm-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/488452070_STBLu-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/241873006_DPn6o-XL.jpg

Jim

sponsored links
Miniflash
"Sleeping with my camera"
40,961 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 01, 2010 17:07 |  #17

skygod44 wrote in post #9910069 (external link)
Great shot, Deb! And good to have you on board. Was this shot taken at some kind of ceremony?

Thanks....now get out there and shoot away :D

Lovely shot. It's quite interesting, I think, how many people go to the zoo and don't wander around looking at the animals. Mostly grandparents, from my observations, but they're making for excellent subjects for us!

Hope to see more from you!

No it was just at the local Park near me .And Thanks :)

Deb
http://miniflash.zenfo​lio.com (external link)

Miniflash
"Sleeping with my camera"
40,961 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 01, 2010 17:20 |  #18

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i94.photobucket​.com …06/Candids/IMG_​9011rr.jpg (external link)

Deb
http://miniflash.zenfo​lio.com (external link)

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,446 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Apr 01, 2010 18:40 as a reply to  @ Miniflash's post |  #19

swjim wrote in post #9915382 (external link)
Here are a few

Wow! Love the B&W with the giraffe in the background! The expression on the little boy's face is priceless.

And @Deb, you're welcome(!), and I like the "rear-end" shot too :D

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 21:38 |  #20

skygod44 wrote in post #9916120 (external link)
Wow! Love the B&W with the giraffe in the background! The expression on the little boy's face is priceless.

Thanks skygod44! It was really warm that day, he was taking a break under a shaded area and it made for a nice shot.

I think I have a couple pics that would work in this thread from Sea World, I'll look for them a little later.

Jim

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 02, 2010 06:36 |  #21

swjim wrote in post #9916999 (external link)
Thanks skygod44! It was really warm that day, he was taking a break under a shaded area and it made for a nice shot.

I think I have a couple pics that would work in this thread from Sea World, I'll look for them a little later.

Great!!! I look forward to seeing more from you.... :D

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2010 08:19 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #22

Here are a few from Sea World.

1. Excitement from the "Viva" show.

IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/513657763_3yhM3-XL-2.jpg

2. Not sure if this one counts, it was at Sea World but IIRC they were checking out a roller coaster.
IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/755594888_W3eda-XL-1.jpg

3. This one is a "not my family" shot, he was a random boy chosen from the audience.
IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/755619608_TwFVq-XL-1.jpg

4. Not sure if this one counts either, it was a performer and audience member before the Shamu show started.
IMAGE: http://jimpr4.com/photos/755641565_huaSY-XL-1.jpg

Jim

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 02, 2010 14:45 |  #23

skygod44 wrote in post #9509170 (external link)
The only "rule" for now is, don't just shoot your own family.
The aim here is to get you to develop skills at capturing other people, being themselves, like in my second shot.

Not a very good suggestion to ask people to take pictures of strangers at their local zoo to post on here. And most people at the zoo are little kids.

My local zoo used to have a "People" category in their photo contest, but they change the title to "Family & Friends" to not suggest taking photos of those you don't know.

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 02, 2010 19:04 |  #24

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #9921089 (external link)
Not a very good suggestion to ask people to take pictures of strangers at their local zoo to post on here. And most people at the zoo are little kids.

My local zoo used to have a "People" category in their photo contest, but they change the title to "Family & Friends" to not suggest taking photos of those you don't know.

Hey Robert, thanks for your comments, but I couldn't disagree more strongly.
I had a peek at your links and noted that you're an excellent landscape photographer. I easily found some stunning shots of trees, water and rocks. So it's pretty clear that you're not really "into" shooting people.
Many POTN members are trying to shoot people, and in a zoo, people tend to be having fun, smiling, laughing, showing true surprise and generally being natural in their behaviour.
I've yet to see a child in a zoo naked, or in a bikini, or doing something grotesque.....have you? Has your local zoo? If not, why the issues? We still have photo contests at the zoo here (in Japan) with "people" as one of the categories....and nobody complains, because why should they?
Shooting people being people (not just kids) is vital, IMHO if we're going to overturn the ridiculous concept that someone with an enormous dSLR is doing anything wrong by taking pictures.
It's the people with tiny video cameras or mobile (cell) phones shooting in the toilets that you should be worrying about....and we have a duty to educate the public about this if/when we're challenged.
And here's another shot from me....two kids at the zoo with the cherry-blossoms just beginning to come out behind them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 02, 2010 21:30 |  #25

skygod44 wrote in post #9922322 (external link)
Hey Robert, thanks for your comments, but I couldn't disagree more strongly.
I had a peek at your links and noted that you're an excellent landscape photographer. I easily found some stunning shots of trees, water and rocks. So it's pretty clear that you're not really "into" shooting people.

Thank you for checking out my websites. However I do shoot people. I do the photography for a professional organization's local chapter seminar meetings I belong to (not photography related) and they appear in said chapter's newsletter. I don't include them on my sites because I'm not trying to sell photographs of people.

These times are different compared to 15 years ago when film was dominant. "Digital" makes it too easy to show everything you take on the internet available for anyone and everyone to see. When shooting with film, people would know that few would ever see photos taken of them unless they appeared in a gallery exhibit. So people are more fearful of having their photos taken in public by strangers now.

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 03, 2010 00:10 |  #26

Caught this youngster who was upset at the local park, his mom told me to take the photo to cheer him up... It didnt work. :)

Shot with my g10 and a little PS to boot.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4485337404_270249e51d_b.jpg

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2010 03:51 |  #27

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #9923016 (external link)
Thank you for checking out my websites.

You're welcome! :-)

However I do shoot people. I do the photography for a professional organization's local chapter seminar meetings I belong to (not photography related) and they appear in said chapter's newsletter. I don't include them on my sites because I'm not trying to sell photographs of people.

Great! But this sounds like one step up from "record-keeping" to me, and photography can be so much more than this.

These times are different compared to 15 years ago when film was dominant. "Digital" makes it too easy to show everything you take on the internet available for anyone and everyone to see.

All true, but I think my point still holds...it's not "us" with large dSLRs who are typically out for bad reasons. I doubt that many perverts are willing to spend thousands of pounds/euros/yen/dolla​rs on lenses, flashes, various bodies, monopods, etc, to get their "jollies", and now that mobile phones can shoot rapidly with 8MP+, face recognition,etc,. and then link onto the 'net and be uploaded before we can even leave the zoo, it really is up to us to teach the public to watch out for, and question those people who are acting in a truly suspicious manner.
Oh and when I'm asked what I'm shooting, I tell people and show them happily...to date, after 30 years shooting, the last 6 years with digital, nobody has ever been uncomfortable with my shots.

savone wrote in post #9923723 (external link)
Caught this youngster who was upset at the local park, his mom told me to take the photo to cheer him up... It didnt work. :)
Shot with my g10 and a little PS to boot.

Great shot Savone! Shame you couldn't cheer him up....better luck next time.

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2010 04:14 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #28

Does it have to be the zoo? Here's my shot of my little girl engrossed in an exhibit at a local children's museum..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

...thought it looked like a shot they'd use on a web site!

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2010 07:59 |  #29

cmansell wrote in post #9924219 (external link)
Does it have to be the zoo? Here's my shot of my little girl engrossed in an exhibit at a local children's museum..
...thought it looked like a shot they'd use on a web site!

Hey Craig, great shot!
Aren't kids the best when they're engrossed in looking at something for the first time :D

And of course, "only" zoos is too limiting....anywhere will do :D

The idea really, is just to get POTN members looking harder at the people around them and taking shots that really show people being people, without any artificial posing!!!

Hope to see more from you...

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2010 08:28 |  #30

skygod44 wrote in post #9924723 (external link)
Hey Craig, great shot!

Thanks! :D

...taking shots that really show people being people, without any artificial posing!!!

Very difficult to get my daughter to pose, only way for this shot was doing it while she wasn't looking!

Hope to see more from you...

Well how about this?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I KNOW you said no zoo animals, but this young lady was watching us! More precicely, she was interested in my other daughter who was being carried around in a sling by my wife - I think this Orang utan thought it was just like their babies. So, this is Apes being Apes, rather than people being people!

sponsored links

6,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
The NO ZOO ANIMALS challenge.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.