Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,851 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 03, 2010 19:51 |  #106

bigcountry wrote in post #9927133 (external link)
everybody has one, and everybody is out to make money w/ it.

I don't care that everyone has one. The thing that amazes me is how many people think that they can make money out of the fact that they own one.

It's like someone buying a hammer and thinking "Great now I can build houses and make a lot of money".

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2010 20:05 |  #107

vk2gwk wrote in post #9927225 (external link)
On a beatiful sunny day, when I take shots of my family I use a flash for fill light...... My 5D2 has no pop up one so I always carry my flash with me for that sort of occasions. Yes, I am an amateur... :)

Yeah, but popup flash doesn't do much from 100 yards...or even ten.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

deci
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2010 20:14 |  #108

fWord wrote in post #9927312 (external link)
Or buy into an older DSLR from the 1-series. I still get glances from photogs when using a 1Ds MKI. People draw near and ask, 'Wow, is that film or digital?'

Haha! :lol:

Yeah.......... I got the same today, from someone who says he can't stand digital about my MkIIn............. You have really got to wonder where these peoples carer's are:rolleyes:

Canon 1D MkIIn, Canon 30D (Gripped) + Canon A1
Canon 35 f2, 50 1.2L, 50 f1.8, 60 f2.8 Macro, 85 f1.8, 70-300 IS
Sigma 10-20, 24-70 f2.8, 105 f2.8Macro

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk (external link)

joeman
194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2010 20:45 as a reply to  @ deci's post |  #109

There is a down-side to the mass ownership of DSLR's. A NY Times article last week talked about how it was getting close to impossible to make a living as a professional photographer due to the colapse of prices. It seems that everyone thinks they are the next Ansel Adams and puts all of their photos up with stock services. Mags and other purchasers are all to happy to sort through the chaff to find a photo that is acceptable. This is reducing prices for everyone.

Of course people will get tired of lugging a DSLR around and go back to P&S, but by then, it will be all but impossible to make a living as a professional photographer. It is only a matter of time before this happens and then prices will climb again.

The other negative side to this is the steep increase in cost of equipment. Wow, even in a down economy, camera and lens prices are climbing. I guess after a couple of years of equiment sitting unused, people will start to attempt to sell it on Craigs List and prices will come down.

I've been shooting as a hobby since the mid '70's and I do it for the enjoyment. There are easier ways to make a living for me.

joe

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 03, 2010 20:46 |  #110
bannedPermanent ban

What does it matter to any of you if there are a bunch of people with DSLR's just learning the ropes. Oh...I forgot, most of you guys were born with a camera and knew everything there was about photography. Instead of acting like king sh*t, why don't you help out some of these people struggling with their cameras. Might even make you feel pretty good about yourselves.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,851 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 03, 2010 21:00 |  #111

why don't you help out some of these people struggling with their cameras

Don't you think the Canon owners do a pretty good job of that on his forum???

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,851 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 03, 2010 21:01 |  #112

joeman wrote in post #9927915 (external link)
There is a down-side to the mass ownership of DSLR's. A NY Times article last week talked about how it was getting close to impossible to make a living as a professional photographer due to the colapse of prices. It seems that everyone thinks they are the next Ansel Adams and puts all of their photos up with stock services. Mags and other purchasers are all to happy to sort through the chaff to find a photo that is acceptable. This is reducing prices for everyone.

Thats life.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

mfiery
118 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2010 21:37 |  #113

fotoworx wrote in post #9927980 (external link)
Don't you think the Canon owners do a pretty good job of that on his forum???

I've found this forum to be an amazing source of information. I have been waiting to buy a DSLR and stumbled across this forum about a month ago and have been soaking in as much information as I can before the T2i gets here and have learned an incredible amount so far.

There are always the people that will take issue with anything that is said now. From what I've seen, the posts on this forum are from people who are extremely willing to share their experience and varying levels of expertise and those that are taking the time and effort to learn new skills and better themselves. Typically the people that have become good photographers, have put in the time to be good. As a former D1 basketball player, most people just don't understand the amount of work that goes into being good (or great) at something. When this time is spent, a certain amount of pride comes along with it, and deservingly so. There are always the wannabes who tell people that they are on the team (or are a good photographer) but never put the effort in to excel in their field and are not capable of understanding what it takes.

Hogloff wrote in post #9927921 (external link)
What does it matter to any of you if there are a bunch of people with DSLR's just learning the ropes. Oh...I forgot, most of you guys were born with a camera and knew everything there was about photography. Instead of acting like king sh*t, why don't you help out some of these people struggling with their cameras. Might even make you feel pretty good about yourselves.

So when responding to posts here you have to understand where most of the people are coming from, and in this case we have people who are passionate about photography and have spent lots of time behind the lens perfecting their techniques. I know a good orthopedic surgeon to replace that chip on your shoulder...

My Photographs (external link)
T2i, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 18-135mm IS, Canon 50mm, Canon 100mm Macro, Tamron 70-300mm, Sigma 150-500mm

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2010 21:46 |  #114

I went to an organized pillow fight event at a city park today. Everybody and their mom had SLR cameras! I'm talking flash diffusers, monopods, lens-hoods, you name it!

SLRs becoming more prevalent is a good thing (unless you make your living taking pictures).... anything that can stem the tide of ubiquitous grainy, washed out cell-phone images gets the A-OK from me

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 04, 2010 00:50 |  #115

I think that DSLR are just becoming much more affordable and people are getting tired of poor quality P&S shots indoors or in low light. The more DSLRs around, the more chance you have to try a friend's DSLR and if you like it, you get one. Unfortunately, this has not driven prices down.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

powhodee
53 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 04, 2010 01:29 |  #116

When I was a light assisting for a photographer in sf, I saw a dslr w/ kit lens throughout the whole entire park. I asked what he thought and he said we need to stay a level above them with our style and creativity.

Ef 16-35mm 2.8LII, ef 24-105mmL, ef 50mm 1.8, ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, ef85mm 1.2L mkII, 580 exII, Nikon sb-24, 5d mkII

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 12:47 |  #117

powhodee wrote in post #9929046 (external link)
When I was a light assisting for a photographer in sf, I saw a dslr w/ kit lens throughout the whole entire park. I asked what he thought and he said we need to stay a level above them with our style and creativity.

exactly. problem is photography, like most art now, is totally subjective, which i think is bullsh*t but thats another story for another day. but the guy u were working for is right, he needs to keep his images on a level higher than the GWC at every family event.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2010 12:55 |  #118

joeman wrote in post #9927915 (external link)

Of course people will get tired of lugging a DSLR around and go back to P&S, but by then, it will be all but impossible to make a living as a professional photographer. It is only a matter of time before this happens and then prices will climb again.

The other negative side to this is the steep increase in cost of equipment. Wow, even in a down economy, camera and lens prices are climbing. I guess after a couple of years of equiment sitting unused, people will start to attempt to sell it on Craigs List and prices will come down.

I've been shooting as a hobby since the mid '70's and I do it for the enjoyment. There are easier ways to make a living for me.

joe

Joe youvve brought out a good point here.

I have a friend that works for channel 2 new here in NYC as a video man. He told me he too is looking to start doing his own thing because his future with channel 2 looks bad. He said theres less and less photographers working and that theyre giving cameras now to the reporters and really dont care anymore to the quality.

He said something like 30 people got laid off in the last year and he starting to wonder when its going to be his turn. :(

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 12:59 |  #119

chomish, you hit the nail on the head, they really dont care anymore about the quality, and thats the problem. "/

a dslr in green box mode cannot take better pics than point n shoot.

the most important factor in a photograph is the large living being behind it. is ansel adams ansel adams because he used 8x10 camera...no. he couldve taken great photographs with a kodak brownie, which is what he started with btw. and equivalent to idk what these days, probably nothing that bad in digital.lol

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 04, 2010 12:59 |  #120

theextremist04 wrote in post #9892433 (external link)
Everyone makes fun of people who buy DSLRs and leave them in green box, but a DSLR in green box still takes better pictures than a point and shoot in green box.

Sorry you are wrong, it will still depend on the fatty organic lump positioned behind the camera.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sponsored links

30,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.