Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2010 15:40 |  #136

neil_r wrote in post #9931740 (external link)
Calm down, no need to be so defensive, I do understand your question and I have no problem with the OP, what I fund unbelievable is some of the subsequent posts where there is almost contempt being shown for people who are being deemed unworthy to use a camera.

I have a few cameras and think I know how to use them. I also have a great set of golf clubs which I certainly do not use very well. what i do with my Camera, Golf Clubs, Car or anything else is my business, what anyone else does with theirs is of concern to them and them alone.

My opologize. It reads diffferent than i intended it. No, i understand exactly what u mean and feel the same way. I understand what u now mean unbelievable. I thought u meant it was a stupid of me to wonder why there was a spike in DSLR use.

I agree though in terms of how u use your camera. You have the rite to buy what your pocket could afford. I bet 90% of people including me have gear that is way over there level.

But hey if you could afford it, why not? I work my ass off running both my shops and will continue to buy what i like and could afford.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

sponsored links
Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 04, 2010 18:41 |  #137

chomish wrote in post #9890799 (external link)
Ive been shooting DSLR's now for about 6-7 years. I remember going to events with my camera when i first got it and everybody thinking i worked for a newpaper or magazine.

Lately when ive been taking my camera out to places like the Zoo etc ive noticed that everbody is walking around with an SLR now like its in style.

Is it just me or is there really this crazy jump in DSLR users???

I agree with you - it is a true "crazy jump"
Apart from being much more affordable for most people the big companies seems to spend more on advertizing, reaching even more potential customers. Apparently they are successful ;)

As pointed out by several others in this thread - anyone is entitled to buy whatever stuff they want. If they learn anything new and maybe decide to stick around photography that's fine.
They are in for a great way spending time or perhaps even making money

I have equipment that is capable of more than I am - which gives me great pleasure in testing, experimenting and learning new things over time.
That is the main reason for spending my hard earned money on photography :)

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

mrbigisbudgood
101 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 04, 2010 18:50 |  #138

I blame Ashton Kutcher.

50D - BG-E2N | XTi |Wigma | 50 f1.4 | 28-135IS | Bugma | 430EXII | Tripods, Bags, Cards, Motivation

fritz1
557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2006

Apr 04, 2010 19:41 |  #139

When I bought my 4Runner I thought I would be one of the few since I didn't know too many people that have one, then after I got mine every where I look there is one very similar sometimes identical to mine, did people start buying 4Runners that same year? I think maybe I just notice them more now.

It could be that the same thing is happening to some, I can't say that I notice an increase in DSLR shooters in my area, I'm a rarity. Even when I went to the Philly flower show (the last Saturday of the show) I was surprised I didn't see many DSLR shooters at all, it was a massive crowd and every time I tried to compose a scene all I saw was dozens of hands with cell phones in my vew finder

There was no etiquette or manners observed by 95% of that crowd I recall two shooters with DSLRs one girl had two strapped on her neck and another guy with a bracket mounted flash and a couple of others, it all depends on where and when you go, I think I picked the wrong day.

EOS 5D, EOS 5D MKIII, EOS 20D, EOS Elan, AE1Program, Tamrac Expedition 7 backpack Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack, Low Pro AW fanny
EF 17-40 f/4 L, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f4 L,
EF 400 f5.6 L, Sigma 150-600DG HSM OS f5-6.3,
EF 28-105 USM,EF 100-300 USM,580EXII
B+W,POL+FD Lenses.

ddpl
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 04, 2010 21:47 |  #140

mastertech01 wrote in post #9931495 (external link)
I see a lot of people driving fancy sports cars that shouldn't be driving a Ford Focus fast. I see many under qualified people purchasing carpentry equipement at the Home Depot and many other hardware outlets that couldn't set a square much less build a project with pro quality. I see many folks especially being an auto technician, bring in thier cars for RE-REPAIR after they butch it all up trying to fix it themselves. People working over the plumbing in their homes that shouldn't be trusted to even change an oring in the garden hose.

But not one bit of that is ANY OF MY DAMNED BUSINESS. People in America are free to try anything they arent qualified to do as long as they are prepared to pay for any consequences. Some of those folks end up doing a pretty damned good job too, and save themselves a lot of money, and dont have to worry about being scammed by some PROFESSIONAL thieves.

Try not to be so judgemental. Im sure almost every one here has done something along these lines to save money and/or just to feel proud of when you are done, and more importantly to get the atta boy from friends and family. Thank God we dont have to rely completely on skilled qualified professionals for everything!

Well said.

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 04, 2010 21:50 |  #141

MDteX wrote in post #9893382 (external link)
I do see some P&S and the pocket cameras too. I got a laugh the other day. I was shooting a game using my MkIII and a 300f2.8. I was hand holding. There was a guy there with a little pocket "Coolpix" on a monopod. I think that camera weighs about 10 ounces. I must be stronger than I think!!!

Maybe his shutter speed sucked and he wanted to eliminate camera shake?

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,809 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2010 22:26 |  #142

ToddR wrote in post #9931321 (external link)
The Green Box Crowd was out in force yesterday at a local Easter egg hunt. I found myself wondering what percentage of them could provide a basic explanation of the exposure triangle of shutter, aperture, and ISO.

But honestlly so what? Thats like looking at a row of fat slobs queued up at McDonalds and wondering what percentage of them could tell you just how much fat, salt and sugar they're about to consume in the crap they're purchasing.

Who cares?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

hawking_0103
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 30, 2010 16:23 |  #143

it still depends on the user crowd. I would say dslrs are more and more affordable by students around my age, and I'm 20 btw. I'm in university now, and seriously most of the people I know are able to afford a dslr..
I'm in engineering btw so I'm pretty sure 90% of them know at least some basics instead of using the green box.

however, I've not seen more than 2 female dslr users in my school who really know their stuffs... most of my girl friends are really happy with their P&S cameras and as long as they can capture it. To them, quality doesn't matter as long as the cameras are easy to use.

I'm the odd one btw.

-Kenzie-
My Flickr (external link)
T2i, some lenses and a flash

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2010 16:25 |  #144

that's why you pull out the big expensive (preferrably white) L lens to differentiate yourself LOL. just kidding.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr sets (external link)
Check out my Modelmayhem port (external link)
500px (external link)

asty80
586 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 30, 2010 16:27 |  #145

chomish wrote in post #9890799 (external link)
Ive been shooting DSLR's now for about 6-7 years. I remember going to events with my camera when i first got it and everybody thinking i worked for a newpaper or magazine.

Lately when ive been taking my camera out to places like the Zoo etc ive noticed that everbody is walking around with an SLR now like its in style.

Is it just me or is there really this crazy jump in DSLR users???

ha ha ..I probably belong to the 'other' side you mention ..

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 30, 2010 16:27 |  #146

The number seen Vs the given the sales figures for Canon, Nikon, et al... (litterally in the millions of units if not tens of millions...)

I'm saying there are probably nearly as many (if not more) dSLRs gathering dust in closets as there were film bodies.

Now, imagine if they all came out to play! :shock:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

LiquidSword
383 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 30, 2010 18:24 |  #147

It's those Canon sports Ads promoting SLR's. Take your average to wealthy family, add a son or daughter in sports, add percentage that think SLR = better pics, subtract cost of camera ...

In all seriousness, 5 to 6 years ago, an entry level SLR would cost $800, now ... $500 could get you a decent small SLR.

Anderson
1Ds MK II, Tamron 17-35mm, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100-300mm USM.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 30, 2010 18:39 |  #148

LiquidSword wrote in post #10456068 (external link)
It's those Canon sports Ads promoting SLR's. Take your average to wealthy family, add a son or daughter in sports, add percentage that think SLR = better pics, subtract cost of camera ...

In all seriousness, 5 to 6 years ago, an entry level SLR would cost $800, now ... $500 could get you a decent small SLR.

$800? If I remember correctly its more like $1,500 before here in our country.. as there are no entry level models here a few years ago... only pros or amateurs buy dslr and consumers buy P&S

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

billybookcase
473 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 30, 2010 19:47 |  #149

hawking_0103 wrote in post #10455432 (external link)
it still depends on the user crowd. I would say dslrs are more and more affordable by students around my age, and I'm 20 btw. I'm in university now, and seriously most of the people I know are able to afford a dslr..
I'm in engineering btw so I'm pretty sure 90% of them know at least some basics instead of using the green box.

however, I've not seen more than 2 female dslr users in my school who really know their stuffs... most of my girl friends are really happy with their P&S cameras and as long as they can capture it. To them, quality doesn't matter as long as the cameras are easy to use.

I'm the odd one btw.

just going through you flickr are you an ECE 1T3?

Flickr (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 30, 2010 20:19 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #150

I would say lower prices seems to be the big attraction to DSLRs, but as it's already been mentioned how many are shooting in Av, Tv or M?

I come from a SLR background from the 1980s, still own all three bodies and various Canon, Minolta, and Tamron lenses, one of the Minolta bodies is totally manual. BUT, I just bought my first DSLR a couple months ago. Been living in P&S land for the past 14 years using Canon Powershots mostly due to price, small size and light weight convenience. Ah shoot, my first digital was a Sony Mavica that saved pics to a floppy disk.:lol: I paid $1,000 for that sucker in 1996..its highest resolution was something like 1024x768. Last month I took it out of the box and amazingly the battery and camera still worked! :shock:

sponsored links

30,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.