Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 01 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After # 271

blsvlo
141 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2010 16:21 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new editing tricks.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture, resized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 72hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #271".

This game will end on April 4th at 5pm.. have fun!

ok this may be a difficult picture but I am no professional and I don't charge anything to do photos for people. A senior asked me to do her class of 2010 pictures and I really want to save this one and need your help.. This is an old bridge that they are tearing down by next year so I love the background. Lets see whatcha can do with it:)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I love my family:)
I use a Canon EOS rebel xs

sponsored links
NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,977 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2010 10:41 |  #2

Opened in ACR. Used adjustment brush to lighten girl's face and adjust contrast on bridge, also saturation levels.
Opened CS4 and adjusted bridge colour, high pass filter in overlay mode to sharpen and 5px stroke and flatten.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,422 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 02, 2010 11:01 |  #3

Problems with this image: low contrast, back lit, wide dynamic range.

Because of the dynamic range, I made no changes to the bridge deck. It's largely blown out anyway. So I risked getting a featureless gray or even more blown out areas. First I selected the subject. Fixed the tonal range slightly on the dark end. Increased contrast and brightness. The brightness brought out more color, so I didn't boost saturation as I thought I might. There was a strand of hair hanging over her forehead that I cloned out. There seems to be a lighter swatch over her right eye, but I didn't touch it. Next, I selected the bridgework and background. Adjusted tonal range here too. Bumped up contrast. Added a touch more saturation because the bridge reds matched the reds in her shirt.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2010 12:14 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #4

tried to give the bridge an old rust feel and tried to age the bridges planks. Touched up the subject and brightened up the forest background to bring out the branches, etc.

IMAGE: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7467/carlyonbridge1.jpg

Below is a B&W conversions of my workup above
IMAGE: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4903/carlyonbridge2.jpg

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,967 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 02, 2010 12:34 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #5

LR2 - Recovery, Curves, Exposure Brush on Girl, Clarity Brush on Girl, Sharpness Brush on Girl, Saturation Brush on Girl

CS2 - Shadow/Highlight, Saturate Tool on sides of Bridge, Blur Tool, Burn TOol, USM, Dodge Tool, S-Curve, Vignette, Lighting Effects/Soft Direct Light, Gamma/Exposure

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

marcoj70
52 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 03, 2010 12:47 |  #6

Opened the file in PS, converted to 32 bits and saved as .hdr.
Opened the .hdr on Qtpfsgui, rendered the HDR with Mantiuk algorithm, with 3 different settings.
On PS, mixed the 3 different results at various opacity levels, added the original photo lightened by 2 stops on camera RAW, masked for the face and forearms of the girl.

IMAGE: http://www.marcojona.com/ba271a.jpg

Marco Jona
Equipment: EOS 7D, EOS 40D, EOS 400D, EF 24-105 F4 IS L, EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS L, Sigma 150 F2.8 APO Macro DG, Kenko 12,20,36mm macro rings set

MJA
173 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 03, 2010 22:36 as a reply to  @ marcoj70's post |  #7

Hi All,
using pse 6.0

smartcurves auto adjust
lucis sculpture (lowest setting, 1% on left slider, 49% on right slider)
moved her up towards center a little
clone out obvious duplicate patterns
vignette on top and sides
nik noise

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

And this was my first attempt, I was going to try a psuedo hdr but somehow i forgot how to open a jpg as a raw and ended up with this ???

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Mike
G10, 40D, 1D3

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 04, 2010 14:39 |  #8

Have you guys missed me?

"Hell no! Booo hisss!" says the POTN crowd!

Life has gotten seriously busy for me (in a good way), but I would be adrift in life without my Before and After buddies (that's like a "single serving friend" in Fight Club :D )!

• Lassoing and cutting in PS CS3
  • Levels, Curves - Shadows/Highlights
  • Jet is from Google Creative Commons
  • Paste + Shadow under her arms - cut + repaste that + opacity.
  • Flatten + saturation + Unsharp Mask
  • Lightroom: Clarity + Vibrance.

It's good to be back :)

IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/ngw03k.jpg

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

blsvlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
141 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2010 20:28 |  #9

wow great crowd:) Sorry a little late had a family outing and just got in!! Happy Easter everyone.
Ok, first off great job everyone and I have to say where Iam newer here I am not qualified to tell anyone about the editing... but I will say a few things:)
Joed, like yours
Lore I love how you brought her out more and sharp but I would have loved more of the bridge..
Mj, love the painting look
Kendoway, love the idea, made us laugh, I will let her see it and she may want a copy:)

Ok, didn't comment on all but I will say my husband and I have chosen...............Marcoj70!!!!
Nice job and we loved the sharpen and seeing the bridge!! Thanks everyone

I love my family:)
I use a Canon EOS rebel xs

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,977 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2010 05:05 |  #10

Well done Marco!

Nigel

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 07:44 |  #11

Congrats Marco - nice job, and great entries everyone!

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 05, 2010 13:13 |  #12

So are we on to the next photo now?

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,977 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2010 16:05 |  #13

What's the rule Chris - 24 hours?

Nigel

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 05, 2010 16:11 |  #14

I think thats about how long they gave the last time some one hadnt posted a new game. The second place winner posted the next image

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 22:17 |  #15

NigelD wrote in post #9938403 (external link)
What's the rule Chris - 24 hours?

I actually have no idea.

In the past we've had judges disappear (3 times), but never a winner.

☼ Christian D.
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After # 271
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.