Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon vs Sigma 50 1.4

saralee
192 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 05, 2010 11:42 as a reply to  @ post 9935566 |  #46

So can some verify for me whether I have to pay any service fees in case I have to send my lens in for calibration at the Markham location? Does it make a difference if I bought my lens from the States (Abes of Maine)? I am planning on to drop it off if that saves me any money at all.

sponsored links
push ­ pins
586 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 05, 2010 11:47 |  #47

cold_funky wrote in post #9935566 (external link)
Yes, they are both 50mm, but the Sigma is wider. So, if the Canon is actually 50mm, I'd say the Sigma is more like 46mm.
These are just snaps testing bokeh of the two, but you can see the difference.

Sigma
QUOTED IMAGE

Canon
QUOTED IMAGE

Here you can clearly see why people choose the Sigma!

My stuff at flickr.. (external link)

Deep ­ Pocket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 05, 2010 11:49 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

WOW thanks for the replies guys!

Update: Bought one down in Seattle. Backfocus problem at f/1.4 and 1.6. Brought it back for another. same problem. Returned both, but they only had 2 left. Came back to Canada empty-handed. :(

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2010 11:53 |  #49

forthewinwin wrote in post #9936755 (external link)
Update: Bought one down in Seattle. Backfocus problem at f/1.4 and 1.6. Brought it back for another. same problem. Returned both, but they only had 2 left. Came back to Canada empty-handed. :(

At this rate the only Sigmas left on the shelves will be the ones with focus issues...

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 05, 2010 12:04 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

Lyndon Chen wrote in post #9936782 (external link)
At this rate the only Sigmas left on the shelves will be the ones with focus issues...

Good Read:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …s-is-soft-and-other-myths (external link)

Addendum I recently saw the greatest real life example of this ever, in an online forum where the poster states ’Canon’s New XX camera sucks’ (I’m eliminating names so the bots don’t pick this up and repeat it.) He goes on to say he had a body for several years, and a hand picked collection of lenses that he knew were perfect because he’d gone through several copies of each to get the sharpest one. Now he bought a new body and all his lenses sucked, and he’d now exchanged bodies twice and they still all sucked. So here is the perfect example of a person starting with a camera at the edge of tolerance, choosing through multiple selection a set of edge-of-tolerance lenses, and now generalizing that all the new bodies suck. The sad part is the new body has microfocus adjustment and he never even tried it. Just sent copy after copy back to the store.

I mean....for me it's not a problem because I have micro adjust.. I also don't believe that all of the supposed focus issues with lenses online are really the lens or camera's fault.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Deep ­ Pocket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 05, 2010 12:08 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

I have an XSI, not like I could micro-adjust with that :(

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 05, 2010 12:14 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

forthewinwin wrote in post #9936907 (external link)
I have an XSI, not like I could micro-adjust with that :(

Indeed hence why I said for me. Did you save samples of the problem??

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

scuzy
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 05, 2010 12:15 |  #53

i just sent mine in for calibration. Hopefully get it back in the next 2 weeks. I barely used it for more than an hour and i had to sent it back. It was front focusing on me and no micro adjustment could help it. I look forward to playing with the lens once it's calibrated.

Blazin
244 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 05, 2010 14:11 |  #54

AudibleSilence wrote in post #9936881 (external link)
Good Read:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …s-is-soft-and-other-myths (external link)

I mean....for me it's not a problem because I have micro adjust.. I also don't believe that all of the supposed focus issues with lenses online are really the lens or camera's fault.

To add on to your good read from the same source:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …a-50mm-f1.4-hsm/for-canon (external link)

Their take on this lens, it's basically borked. Doesn't act like a normal lens, just the way it is.. not a calibration issue.

How disgusting.

my Gear || flickr (external link)|| ModelMayhem (external link) || EricDaleyPhoto (external link)http://www.modelmayhem​.com/EricDaleyPhoto (external link)

Cheever
156 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 05, 2010 19:44 as a reply to  @ Blazin's post |  #55

I would like to see samples of the sigma at 100% when shot wide open with the 5d mark 2....anyone have any?

Canon 5d mark2 | 35L 1.4 | 50L 1.2 | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 70-200L 2.8 mark1 | ts-e 45 2.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,206 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 05, 2010 20:19 |  #56

scobols wrote in post #9914531 (external link)
How is the Sigma in regards to CA? Is it any better than the Canon? Nobody ever seems to talk about that.

Scott

It is there and very noticeable at wide open apertures, and personally I find it a bit worse than the 2 Canon lenses I had had. Others will point out reviews that show that it has less, but I am not sure. I will just say it is about the same then. But it is very noticeable, whether it is less or more than the Canon.

Also to those that fear getting a Sigma that front or back focuses, I would rather send in a Sigma for calibration under warranty than to send in a Canon that is outside of warranty for the dreadful AF track deflection that causes AF to fail. The latter situation is just too large a risk for me and the Sigma IQ looks better too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

bajaiman
134 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2010 20:32 |  #57

Cheever wrote in post #9939767 (external link)
I would like to see samples of the sigma at 100% when shot wide open with the 5d mark 2....anyone have any?

I had the sigma for about 1 week. When I nailed the focus wide open the picture turned out very sharp.... sometimes its just very hard to nail the focus wide open when your subject is not stationary....but when you get it right the result is like 'wow!... not bad for the lens that only cost this much'

The focus was on my baby's left eye. The cropped picture should've been sharper if I did it with lightroom

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Stuff

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 05, 2010 20:52 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

Cheever wrote in post #9939767 (external link)

Ben did a pretty good comparo here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=729368

sponsored links

9,239 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon vs Sigma 50 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.