Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 05 Apr 2010 (Monday) 05:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time out with a bit of an unusual gear

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2010 13:30 |  #16

Nighthound wrote in post #9935659 (external link)
These are fantastic, very nice quality. I wouldn't have expected such good results from a reflector.

I've shot with my refractors and you're right, focus is a big challenge and when the action starts it gets even tougher.

Impressive work.

Thanks a lot! I was surprised with the quality of pictures myself :) They needed a touch of PP at first. Reflector itself gives very low contrast but actually I quite like that. No shadows are too deep and no highlights are blown in the original picture.

Kirke wrote:
Amazing. Did any people see you? :lol: I can't imagine the interest this thing might be generating.

Hopefully not. I was in the middle of nowhere really. Some 10 km away from the nearest village. I wouldn't dear using this in a park or somewhere public :D

Waldemar Sikorski wrote:
Really challenging setup and taking distance into consideration great shots. Now you have to find some nests. I don't remember anyone else from Lithuania, welcome. With this setup you can photograph birds in neighboring countries.

Thanks, neighboring countries might be a bit too far though :) But nests would be great. I did see some bigger birds there before but couldn't find their nests. This setup works good when you are stationed in a location that birds like to visit. Since you can be quite far away it is easier and it doesn't intimidate birds that much as a sneaky photographer a couple meters away.

artyman wrote:
Interesting concept, as said I think birds in flight could be tricky :lol:

True, I wasn't even trying to get them midflight. This works best when they land somewhere and mind their own business :) It was really interesting watching them doing this and that. I wish my camera had video capabilities I'd surely try that!

Wow, I didn't expect this much attention when I was posting these! This is really encouraging to go out again and try shooting some more :) Thank you guys!

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links
marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2010 13:36 |  #17

canonloader wrote in post #9937025 (external link)
I'm thinking take the middle seat out of my van and mount it in there so I can shoot out the side door or the rear. ;)

Interesting idea. You can surely try that :)

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 05, 2010 13:50 |  #18

I don't know where you live but: http://www.fatbirder.c​om …geo/europe/lith​uania.html (external link)

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2010 14:04 |  #19

Waldemar Sikorski wrote in post #9937497 (external link)
I don't know where you live but: http://www.fatbirder.c​om …geo/europe/lith​uania.html (external link)

A useful read! I knew Lithuania's wildlife was rich but it was interesting to see the numbers :) Lithuania is a small country. I guess about 350 km would be the longest straight line you could draw on the land. There isn't any location you couldn't reach in a few hours.

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 05, 2010 14:26 |  #20

marsaz wrote in post #9937588 (external link)
A useful read! I knew Lithuania's wildlife was rich but it was interesting to see the numbers :) Lithuania is a small country. I guess about 350 km would be the longest straight line you could draw on the land. There isn't any location you couldn't reach in a few hours.

Hey, I'm from a country that was in a union with Lithuania but It would be exciting to visit a place that's 30% forests.

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

CanaHolic
Goldmember
1,605 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 05, 2010 15:20 as a reply to  @ Waldemar Sikorski's post |  #21

Great set of shots. although flight shots may not be in your future, photographing perched birds certainly is, they come out very good...

Dan

Daniel Behm
My Gallery (external link)| (external link)flickr | (external link)Facebook (external link)

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 05, 2010 17:09 |  #22

I'm thinking take the middle seat out of my van and mount it in there so I can shoot out the side door or the rear. ;)

Whatever you do with it Mitch, just don't mount it on your boat. They'll call out the Navy to investigate :lol::lol:

David

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2010 17:22 |  #23

interesting setup. The MFD of 50 meters made me laugh though....thanks for sharing

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2010 17:32 |  #24

David, HAHA, it does look like a rocket launcher, or maybe a torpedo tube. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2010 18:11 |  #25

I was thinking the same thing....plus the van acts like a blind.

Great pics and great detail.

Guess the trick might be to set up a feeder, focus and let the birds come to you?

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2010 23:28 |  #26

sf1 wrote in post #9939186 (external link)
Great pics and great detail.

Guess the trick might be to set up a feeder, focus and let the birds come to you?

Thanks, yeah that should work great. Almost everything works great with this setup as long as you don't have to move anywhere :lol:

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links

1,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time out with a bit of an unusual gear
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.