Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Apr 2010 (Monday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cybersync Receivers

K1 ­ Imagery
100 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2010 16:59 |  #1

For those of you using CS receivers do you use the A/C or battery powered receiver and why?

I'm concerned about the battery receiver because when the battery life depletes I concerned it will impact the signal.

Canon 50D | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 70-200 L 2.8 | 580EX II

sponsored links
pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 05, 2010 17:05 |  #2

I use the battery version. They last for 200 hours so just replace them after 100 hours. :) In fact I have yet to change the batteries. I use Sony Eneloops in them.

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 05, 2010 17:07 |  #3

Battery powered receiver. Most of my work is location stuff.

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 05, 2010 17:15 as a reply to  @ Tawcan's post |  #4

Battery powered...

Ive had the same set of cheapo Duracell Alkaline AA's in mine for the last 4 months...several thousands of shots later, they still are working just fine. Carry a spare set with you though...just incase. I would recommend against rechargables for the fact that most rechargeables dont fair well in storage, long term as they discharge themselves relatively quickly. Most alkalines on the other hand will hold a full or near full charge for a long time. 5 bucks worth of alkaline AA's would last you a LONG time in a CS.

If your working in a strictly studio based environment, the AC ones are fine...but if your a mobile shooter, battery powered is the only way to go...especially if your using them with speedlights.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

K1 ­ Imagery
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2010 17:22 as a reply to  @ JayCee Images's post |  #5

Thanks everyone. I'll switch my order to include the battery receivers. I shoot mostly mobile as well.

mikaelo
69 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 05, 2010 17:23 as a reply to  @ JayCee Images's post |  #6

Batteries...so I can conveniently use the with my flash guns when I want to do light wireless stuff.

Mikael Östensson
Camera: Yes. Lenses: Some good, some less so.

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 05, 2010 17:38 |  #7

K1 Imagery wrote in post #9938744 (external link)
For those of you using CS receivers do you use the A/C or battery powered receiver and why?

I'm concerned about the battery receiver because when the battery life depletes I concerned it will impact the signal.

I use 1 CST And 4 CSRBs. Their battery life is quite long, so you dont have to worry about it. To be safe, it's always good practice to have back up pairs of AA batteries for each of your CSRB. In addition, have a back up button battery for your CST, and a back up pack of 4-AA batteries for each of your flashes.

It's easy when you don't have to deal with 4 Vivitar 285hvs and 1 430ex. I have a battery pack and a backup battery pack for each flash. In addition, i have a backup battery for my CSRBs, and a backup button battery for my CST. So in total, i have 40AA batteries for flashes alone, 16AA batteries for the CSRBS alone, and 2 button batteries for the CST.

I decided to use CSRBs because they are highly flexible.In that way, i will only have to deal with one type of receiver as oppose to having a receiver set that is dedicated only to my studio strobes. Also, by having one type of receiver, I save a lot of money, and I have less in my inventory to count when cleaning up sets.

IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/vfwk14.jpg

I hope what I said makes sense.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2010 17:52 |  #8

Hi Marloon
I like the way you organized them in that clear box, can you tell me what box is that and where to get them ?
TIA

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 05, 2010 17:57 |  #9

canondslr wrote in post #9939067 (external link)
Hi Marloon
I like the way you organized them in that clear box, can you tell me what box is that and where to get them ?
TIA

You can find similar containers at pretty much any store that sells fishing gear...some pharmacies will sell similar ones also for storage of medical supplies.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 05, 2010 18:05 |  #10

canondslr wrote in post #9939067 (external link)
Hi Marloon
TIA

I got the box from ebay! I got it because it fits PERFECTLY in the most minimal spaces of my hard cases and bags. It is a 24-slot jewelry/bead case. (external link) I got mine for 5.99, but the price usually fluctuates from $6-10. Which is a fair deal IMO. It's a great case and I accidentally got two. One for 5.99, and another for 8.99. The other case will be used for another cybersync set which will fit 1 CST and 4 CSXCVs. that is when i get my Einsteins after they open up those pre-orders.

Jeffro250 wrote in post #9939102 (external link)
You can find similar containers at pretty much any store that sells fishing gear...some pharmacies will sell similar ones also for storage of medical supplies.

Absolutely! You can use pill cases for smaller accessories. Being creative and innovative is important to perfect storage solutions! LOL.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

K1 ­ Imagery
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2010 18:07 as a reply to  @ JayCee Images's post |  #11

Yeah, you can find those containers at Walmarts or Target. I used them all the time when I did R/C racing. They cost about $4.99 or less.bw!

K1 ­ Imagery
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2010 18:08 as a reply to  @ K1 Imagery's post |  #12

Thx. everyone for the input.

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 05, 2010 18:34 |  #13

A quick not for you all... yesterday on a shoot photographing models in a river I had the lights in the river, one of the receivers dropped and got submerged fully, believe me- it was wet inside and out!! I've dried it out at room temp yesterday and last night and have just checked and it works, it seems these things are almost bulletproof!! :)

hopefully it'll stay working....

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 05, 2010 18:36 |  #14

Jeffro250 wrote in post #9938852 (external link)
Battery powered...

Ive had the same set of cheapo Duracell Alkaline AA's in mine for the last 4 months...several thousands of shots later, they still are working just fine. Carry a spare set with you though...just incase. I would recommend against rechargables for the fact that most rechargeables dont fair well in storage, long term as they discharge themselves relatively quickly. Most alkalines on the other hand will hold a full or near full charge for a long time. 5 bucks worth of alkaline AA's would last you a LONG time in a CS.

If your working in a strictly studio based environment, the AC ones are fine...but if your a mobile shooter, battery powered is the only way to go...especially if your using them with speedlights.

Yep, what he said.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links

1,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cybersync Receivers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.