Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2010 (Monday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D went back due to AF issues (images inside)...

Catlover
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2010 06:44 as a reply to  @ post 9805948 |  #16

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the camera is on it's way back to the retailer (Adorama) for an exchange so I can't do any further testing.

Focus was always fast and responsive, however you could even tell it wasn't focusing properly when looking through the viewfinder. I would get focus confirmation and be like "ok, that's not in focus...let's try again".

I really hope that I don't get another defective camera when they do the exchange. It really stinks that this was supposed to be Canon's "stepping up to the plate" moment as far as AF is concerned. I shouldn't have to decide between an older 1D series and a 1D Mark IV to get solid AF performance.

Regards,
Todd
www.toddbaughphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 16, 2010 06:46 as a reply to  @ post 9805948 |  #17

Artyman is spot on. Any time you let the camera select the focus point, you are rolling the dice. That doesn't mean that there isn't a problem in this case, but it certainly means that there is no reason to reject the notion of what is unfairly called "user error."

My theory is that the 7D focus system is a bit complicated to quickly learn, especially with the zone modes, and many users are not bothering to learn it. It seems that for every thread reporting focus issues with the 7D, there is a message from a 7D user stating that they had similar problems until they went back and carefully studied the AF system.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Catlover
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2010 11:06 |  #18

sportsshooter50 wrote in post #9804873 (external link)
I'm don't think I'd be using a 35mm at f1.8 for what are essentially portrait shots. The depth of field will be very shallow and to shoot people at 35mm and at close distances tends to exaggerate them somewhat.

The 35L on the Canon 7D is 56mm ;)

Todd

Regards,
Todd
www.toddbaughphoto.com (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 16, 2010 11:24 |  #19

Catlover wrote in post #9806229 (external link)
I really hope that I don't get another defective camera when they do the exchange. It really stinks that this was supposed to be Canon's "stepping up to the plate" moment as far as AF is concerned. I shouldn't have to decide between an older 1D series and a 1D Mark IV to get solid AF performance.

Well, I wouldn't be too surprised if you get similar OOF shots shooting portraits w/ Zone-AF. I've never handled a 1D body so I don't know if the 1D also has Zone-AF. But at least according to B&H's 7D video tutorials, All-point (19) and Zone-AF will always look to look on the object/subject closest to the camera. So by that alone, you're already asking for trouble as the camera is programmed that way.

My 24L was always ever-so-slightly soft on my 40D at f/1.4 and I thought that was just me shooting wide open. And then I dialed in the MFA when I got the 7D and it turns out the lens needed a +10 adjustment. So maybe your 35L might be ever-so-slightly off to contribute to the OOF and needs MFA. But whether it does or not, don't test it out using Zone-AF.

As you're shooting people, in those situations, I would've picked Spot-AF to try and focus on the eyes.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2010 12:37 |  #20

The 1D doesn't do zone focusing but it does have 7 and 13-point expansion modes plus a 2-AF point selection and all points auto as usual. When you want precise focus you still use one point as the expansion points may grab onto the wrong part. Expansion points/zones have their uses but also pitfalls that the user needs to be aware of. They're great when the ONLY thing with contrast is your subject like birds against a blank blue sky but even there it may focus on the nearest wingtip instead of the eyes so it must be used carefully even there.

In the above examples however, unless focus & recompose was used, it looks like the selected AF points are way out of focus, beyond any micro focus issues. It is focusing forward by a long way.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

Transfer
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2010 00:12 |  #21

I just came back from a vacation with my new (refurb) 7D and 15-85 IS lens. As I'm going through my shots, I'm noticing there's a lot of slightly OOF images! I've been doing a ton of testing and it seems that the zone AF is part of the problem. I shot a lot of zone AF because it was quick and easy.

When I compare single point spot AF to standard single point AF, there is definitely a big difference, and comparing spot AF to zone is also a noticeable difference. Is this normal for the 7D? I shouldn't have to shoot everything with single point spot AF for exact AF, right? I mean, if everything needs to be spot AF for sharp images, then the other modes are basically worthless. I was considering getting rid of my lens until I figured out these differences, now I'm considering sending back my camera body.

Thoughts?

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 06, 2010 00:16 |  #22

Zone's decent for tracking certain objects/subjects. But it sounds as though you did not view the highly informative tutorial videos at all. Else you would know how the AF reacts in Zone & All-point.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 06, 2010 07:32 |  #23

Zone AF, just like all 19 point AF mode will focus on the nearest object with decent contrast in the area covered by the AF points (and sometimes even a bit beyond that). So for example if your intended subject is in the upper right corner of the zone area and there is something closer to the camera in the lower left corner of the zone area, it doesn't matter that you want the camera to focus on your subject, the 7D will focus on the closer subject, period. It has to make a decision, it cannot read your mind.
Same with the 19 point AF mode, but results can get even more extreme there due to the much bigger AF coverage area.

Here is a demonstration. My intended target was the pen. AF mode: Zone with the middle 9 points.
Image 1: the wine bottle was closer to me/camera, it was on the right side of the Zone AF area, it doesn't matter that I wanted a nice crisp picture of the pen, the bottle was closer ergo Zone AF focused on that while the pen is obviously out of focus.
Image 2: I just pushed the bottle back a few inches. Zone AF worked exactly as it was designed to work, now it focused on the pen since that was the closest object to the camera with decent contrast, covered by my AF zone area. (Note: the wine bottle is still under the Zone AF area too.)

Now, this is not to say that your 7D wasn't defective, I just wanted to show how Zone AF is designed to work. Which makes sense, the designers had to come up with some kind of auto focus priority and the closest object under the AF zone seems to be the most logical one. Imagine shooting a person in front of a busy background. The AF is designed to pick the person to focus on, which is closer, and not the background which is farther. However, it is possible with a thin depth of field (at wide aperture) that if let's say your subject extends his/her arms towards you it will be the hands that will be in perfect focus and not his/her face since the hands are the closest objects to the camera. It can happen.

I hope this helps.

IMAGE: http://gabebalazsphoto.com/misc_photos/Zone%20AF%201.jpg

IMAGE: http://gabebalazsphoto.com/misc_photos/Zone%20AF%202.jpg

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 06, 2010 07:53 |  #24

^ great example. Perhaps you could move the wine bottle back in front, move the pen to lean up against the side of the pot, then do a zone example, a center point example, and then a spot center. My guess is that you will see the wine bottle first, the pot design second, and the pen third, if keeping the pen dead center.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 06, 2010 08:02 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #9942325 (external link)
^ great example. Perhaps you could move the wine bottle back in front, move the pen to lean up against the side of the pot, then do a zone example, a center point example, and then a spot center. My guess is that you will see the wine bottle first, the pot design second, and the pen third, if keeping the pen dead center.

Thanks Teamspeed.
I don't have the time to do that now but that would also be a good demonstration.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8

brianodom
672 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 06, 2010 08:13 as a reply to  @ gabebalazs's post |  #26

What so what would be a good alternative to to Zone AF..I'm just asking out of curiosity. I'm new to the 7D and want to learn as much as I can about this outstanding piece of equipment

Canon EOS 5DsR - 6D - 70D|Canon 17-40L|Σ 35mm 1.4|Tammy 24-70 |Σ 70-200 2.8 and 35mm Art
YONGNUO YN 568 Speedlight X3|
Portfolio: web: www.mattodomphotograph​y.com + Instagram:www.instagra​m.com/mattodomphoto/ + FB: Matt Odom Photography

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 06, 2010 08:24 |  #27

The best alternative for non moving subject is of course manual single point selection or manual spot af.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 06, 2010 08:30 |  #28

yes. single or spot, even maybe AF point expansion. Most times you can focus and recompose (when DoF is wide, small aperture, you don't have much time, etc.), or to be very precise you can move the single AF point around to get best focus on your intended subject.
But even older cameras worked like that when in the all AF point mode. My 40D, 50D, and even my current XTi is so to speak unreliable if I just use the all AF point mode. I can select my intended subject but the camera may think otherwise...
I've found the Zone AF to be a great too for me when shooting birds in flight. I really like it for that application. For normal, casual AF, I mostly use single AF point.

-AP-
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 06, 2010 08:32 |  #29

gabebalazs wrote in post #9942259 (external link)
Zone AF, just like all 19 point AF mode will focus on the nearest object with decent contrast in the area covered by the AF points (and sometimes even a bit beyond that). So for example if your intended subject is in the upper left corner of the zone area and there is something closer to the camera in the lower left corner of the zone area, it doesn't matter that you want the camera to focus on your subject, the 7D will focus on the closer subject, period. It has to make a decision, it cannot read your mind.
Same with the 19 point AF mode, but results can get even more extreme there due to the much bigger AF coverage area.

Here is a demonstration. My intended target was the pen. AF mode: Zone with the middle 9 points.
Image 1: the wine bottle was closer to me/camera, it was on the right side of the Zone AF area, it doesn't matter that I wanted a nice crisp picture of the pen, the bottle was closer ergo Zone AF focused on that while the pen is obviously out of focus.
Image 2: I just pushed the bottle back a few inches. Zone AF worked exactly as it was designed to work, now it focused on the pen since that was the closest object to the camera with decent contrast, covered by my AF zone area. (Note: the wine bottle is still under the Zone AF area too.)

Now, this is not to say that your 7D wasn't defective, I just wanted to show how Zone AF is designed to work. Which makes sense, the designers had to come up with some kind of auto focus priority and the closest object under the AF zone seems to be the most logical one. Imagine shooting a person in front of a busy background. The AF is designed to pick the person to focus on, which is closer, and not the background which is farther. However, it is possible with a thin depth of field (at wide aperture) that if let's say your subject extends his/her arms towards you it will be the hands that will be in perfect focus and not his/her face since the hands are the closest objects to the camera. It can happen.

I hope this helps.

This is by far one of the best posts I've seen related to the 7D's focusing.

Thanks for taking the time..

Kenny..

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 06, 2010 08:42 |  #30

-AP- wrote in post #9942484 (external link)
This is by far one of the best posts I've seen related to the 7D's focusing.

Thanks for taking the time..

Kenny..

Thanks, it really wasn't a big deal, 5 minutes :)

sponsored links

6,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D went back due to AF issues (images inside)...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.