Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!

this thread is locked
peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 01, 2010 12:25 |  #1381

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9913005 (external link)
yeah, we're fine. No one's been hurt by this really except for financially which is good news. 95 is closed between me and work so it's a 2 hour commute (usually 24 minutes) but if that's the most I'm effected I'm fine with dealing with it

I remember years ago watching a guy set off on the causeway linking Lindisfarne (Holy island) to the mainland in NE England. The causeway floods tidally and it's only open during low tide. During high tide there's enough clearance for quite large boats to pass over it. When the sea starts to pass over as the tide is rising it rushes over at a hell of a speed. This fellow set off after the red light was illuminated saying it was too late and managed to get several hundred yards before the rapidly flowing water, still only a few inches deep, had flooded and stopped his engine. A local with a giant tractor advertises a rescue/recovery service with clearly stated and very high prices, and he went out to the car to rescue the driver, who insisted he wanted his car towed back. The local said "No" as it was already too late, and the driver stayed with his car for a few more minutes. Then the tractor started to return to shore and the driver changed his mind and jumped on. Long before the tractor reached shore the car had gone, never to be seen again. In addition, the tractor driver charged a lot of money for rescuing the driver. I took several photos of the whole thing, but they were of course on film and they're somewhere in a box back home.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

sponsored links
Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 01, 2010 16:48 |  #1382

Thoms front page is awesome!!!

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 05, 2010 22:25 |  #1383

In a weeks time, my canon gear would have been sold (hopefully) and a D700 will be back in my incapable hands.

This will be the umpteenth time I'll be switching systems. Yay! I only hope I can continue to enjoy these forums as much as I have in the past 3 weeks as a Canon user (again).

angusporter.com (external link)

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2010 23:32 |  #1384

Why not just hold on to the gear from the "out of favour" manufacturer until your whim changes again? It'd be a lot cheaper!

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2010 23:58 |  #1385

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who did switch, what did you base your decision on?

I would like to upgrade to a better body and what to upgrade to is a very difficult decision. D300s or 50D...... (thinking about jumping over to Nikon more seriously now)

Gear

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 06, 2010 00:45 |  #1386

MrWho wrote in post #9941083 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, for those of you who did switch, what did you base your decision on?

I would like to upgrade to a better body and what to upgrade to is a very difficult decision. D300s or 50D...... (thinking about jumping over to Nikon more seriously now)

I'm not taking sides here, but I've read on another Nikon forum that they view the 7D as having overturned the game at the D300S price point. Perhaps the T2i (550D) has done the same at the D90 price point? I think the next models that Nikon bring out after those two models will be crucial. I'm not convinced of the 5D2 over the D700, but the battle will be between the 5D3 and whatever replaces the D700. Nikon say they're going to increase the mp on their sensors in all their new models, so the oft-touted argument that Canon have lost direction in becoming so mp-focussed really collapses.

I wouldn't jump ship just yet, whichever one you happen to be on.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2010 06:46 |  #1387

I based my choice on the ablity to use old MF lenses on my camera without any adapter, CLS, quality control and customer service. I am not saying one product is better than the other, just stating my personal experience.
Basing your move on just a body that is out this year will end up being very expensive in years to come.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 06, 2010 07:43 as a reply to  @ midnight_rider's post |  #1388

I love FF cameras but I also love shooting sports. I used to have a 1 series but "downgraded" to a 5D when it came out. I then had another body (a 40D at one point, a 1D (original) at another) to get me the AF and FPS when needed. I ordered a 5Dii when they came out but really preferred the specs of the D700 for my shooting. I don't need the MP but the AF and the FPS are nice to have. I got by with my canon but the nikon always made me wonder. Then my 5Dii drowned at the same time I was realizing some of the IQ issues with the canon (banding at 6400 but also at 100 when pushing my files for landscapes). That combined with the FPS and AF advantage and the better body made me rent a D700 for a weekend. The increased DR of the D700 is also a major plus for my landscapes and Nikon's zooms are nicer than canons but their primes are lacking (less so now that they have the 24mm coming, I have one on order). Nikon's 2.8 zooms are amazing, I had the 24-70 and 14-24 which were incredible, but they're not cheap or small/light. I've since gone to a sigma 12-24mm and tamron 28-75mm to fund the 24mm 1.4 and haven't really regretted it.

Both systems are great though and neither one will really change the images you get unless it's a mechanical spec that's holding you back (I can not shoot sequences with a 5 series as it can't do 8fps). But the AF difference is more nice to have not that it gets shots I couldn't before, it's just less work.

I will say I miss video a lot more than I though. I always have my DSLR with me but I don't always have a video option with me, so there are moments when I'd love to get a movie and I'm left running to get the GF1 or iPhone and I miss it. Those are all for random family time shots of my son/wife, so not crucial by any means, but it's worth mentioning.

I'd love a D700 with video. If the new version keeps 8fps stills and adds video I'll probably upgrade eventually, but I'm not in a huge rush as I don't need more MP or ISOs (the ISOs might be nice but 6400 is crazy now!).

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 06, 2010 08:16 |  #1389

I chose to switch because Canon didn't offer a body with the features that I wanted. If the 5D MKII had the same AF ability and weather resistance as my D700 I likely would have bought it.

However, since switching I've also found that the Nikon version of my favorite lens, the 24-70 f/2.8, is better than Canon's. I miss my Canon 70-200 f/4L, but the Nikon 70-300 IS is very close when in the 70-200 range.

Nikon's zooms are very nice but Canon has a better assortment of primes.

If you're shooting Canon already I can't see much difference between the D300s and the 7D, so I'd stick with the 7D.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2010 08:26 |  #1390

I don't switch I've added. I'd shot Nikon a lot when I was much younger. I can afford both :).

As far as 7D vs D300s I'll pick 7D over D300s.

The 24-70 AF-S is way better (sharper open wide) than 24-70L but the Canon's is an old model. The new Canon's 70-200mm IS II looks superb, it's as good as 70-200mm VR II. Sadly it costs more than the Nikon's :(.

Canon is still leading in primes also cheaper than the Nikon's.

5D II vs D700 no contest D700 wins (except the video of course) but ergonomic wise I like 5D II better. I hope the D700 replacement has more MPs on it.

If 5D III comes with 7D AF I might completely back to Canon.

One thing for sure Canon QA/QC is not very good. I have several high-end Nikon lenses all came out sharp out of the box without any adjustments. On the other hand I've sent many lenses to Canon for adjustment even for the L lenses, 35L three times, 24-70mm multiple copies multiple times, etc. Even on the new 70-200mm f/2.8 II:

http://diglloyd.com …l#blog20100401C​anon70_200 (external link)

Colors and tonalities I still pick Canon regardless any PP efforts on Nikon's side.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2010 11:05 as a reply to  @ DarthVader's post |  #1391

I did not get to shoot as much as I wanted to on my vacation but I did get to get out a little and get some shots.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

What a place to put an advertisement

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I found this mask tucked away at Eastern State Pen.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Some signs are just really not needed:lol:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Playing with my new Lensbaby

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 07, 2010 06:06 |  #1392

Ive owned 8 canon bodies, and am on my 3rd nikon. :) I don't really care which brand I use, I like using a lot of different bodies and deciding for myself which I like. I had a d50, then I bought a d70, and now I bought a Fuji S2. The fuji even being from 2002 is still incredible, the colors these nikons render are far more amazing than the 20d/30d. But thats merely my opinion. I'll post up some pictures of my newly aquired S2.

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 07, 2010 06:17 |  #1393

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

flyboy89
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 07, 2010 11:03 as a reply to  @ Njv's post |  #1394

I have just about finished selling off my Canon gear, and have decided to move over to Nikon as well.

I have decided on purchasing a D50, as it will be small, inexpensive as a body, and most importantly will still have the autofocus motor. This is why I decided not to have a D40 be my introductory body.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the 55-200 VR Nikon has, I have read some reviews that bode well, but I was curious about your opinions.

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 07, 2010 13:01 |  #1395

If you can swing it, the 70-300VR is vastly superior. But I have seen some good photos come out of the 55-200.

Dean
Nikon Invader
D300/grip|80-200 2.8|70-300VR|17-50 2.8|18-55VR|10-20|50 & 35 1.8|SB-800|2xSB600|
RacersPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

sponsored links

657,450 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.