Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 22:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I bought, I've shot and now I want MORE!!! So what to buy next??

joeandpuppies
539 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2010 22:49 |  #1

Ok, so a friend calls me up and says he isn't using his camera anymore and maybe he needed some cash (Laid off) ... anyway, here's what I got ... think I did ok.

Canon 1D Mark II
Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 with a bracket for tripod mount
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens (Plastic)
Canon L 2X Extender (Not sure if I said that right)
Canon Extender that makes lens really Macro; it's black
Canon L1.4X Extender
2 batteries
Dual Charger
Manfrotto O55X Pro Tripod
Really Right Stuff BH 55 Head with L Brackets for camera and plates for head
LowPro Backpack ... not sure model it's huge though.
Manfrotto 695 Monopod with a small Gitzo Head

I bought the whole setup for $1500 so I did pretty good.

Situation: Been shooting a few months now and all the sudden approached by several models who live in my building and apparently been watching me shoot puppies and birds a lot. Now, they want me to shoot them which I think would be ok; only scary thing is thinking what if I screw up their pictures?? I am not charging them though; right??

Then is my setup good enough for shooting models??? I've been told I need a 22MP type camera for shooting models??? The 1D Mark II is only 8.5 ... ":/

If I should buy a second lens what would you all recommend that is reasonable in price and would get the job done?? I can budget $1000.00 if it will be usable for other situations. I mostly like shooting wildlife, flowers, and animals.

Thanks for helping ... much appreciated.

Thank You,
joeandpuppies

sponsored links
squashed
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2010 22:55 |  #2

That body and the 8.5 MP is perfect for shooting models. What would kick butt in your situation would be like a 35L or the 85 1.2 ... Or any good prime.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

joeandpuppies
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2010 23:05 |  #3

Hey squahed, what do you think about the 70-200 L 2.8 ?? I want to ensure whatever I get can also cross into others areas like shooting pets for calendars.

Would the 35L or 85 1.2 be good all around lens or would they be too specific for shooting models and such??

Thank You,
joeandpuppies

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 07, 2010 23:07 |  #4

Wow... you got all that for $1500? You practically robbed your friend!

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2010 23:11 |  #5

The 70-200 f/2.8 is definitely a closer to $1,000 than either of the Ls. You might be able to get the 35 used but I wouldn't think of it primarily as a portrait lens on a 1D.

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

joeandpuppies
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2010 23:15 |  #6

themadman wrote in post #9954313 (external link)
Wow... you got all that for $1500? You practically robbed your friend!

Hey madman, I didn't rob him. The deal is we're friends for close to 8 years now and IF he wanted everything back he'd pay the same amount to get it back. For now, he got a little cash as needed to get by ... so it works out.

Thank You,
joeandpuppies

joeandpuppies
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2010 23:19 |  #7

czeglin wrote in post #9954330 (external link)
The 70-200 f/2.8 is definitely a closer to $1,000 than either of the Ls. You might be able to get the 35 used but I wouldn't think of it primarily as a portrait lens on a 1D.

Hey Czeglin,

I'm not sure what you mean by " I wouldn't think of it primarily as a portrait lens on a '1D'. " ... can you please elaborate; keeping in mind that I'm a newbie and not sure how / what the difference the '1D' makes.

I'm just thinking of versatility in terms of being able to do more with whatever I buy. I don't know this stuff well enough at this point to know if the 'prime' 35L or 85 would be good for other stuff.

Thank You,
joeandpuppies

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2010 01:00 |  #8

I feel my XTi would be just as good as my 5D II for studio shots, save for resolution. If conditions are good and you don't lust after very thin DOF then the 1D II will be excellent. My 1D II is a handy medium between 1.6x and full frame, good compression and good DOF.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 08, 2010 01:03 |  #9

I say get a 24-70L.... its nice a versatile lens and reasonably fast at F2.8. And if you can maybe pick up a Canon 85mm 1.8<<<< its a very good lens for the money and will do you nicely for taking full body and close up portrait shots of models while being able to do nice subject isolation with the F1.8. Just my two cents.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

vendorist
30 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 08, 2010 01:43 |  #10

a 85/1.8 would be good enough, especially if you ain't getting pay

450d: 18-55 is, 50mm f 1.8, 70-200 f4L, 10-22, 430ex, domke f3x, kata dr 467

Siriusmuzik
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 08, 2010 01:47 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

LOL, I love your name and I love your story!

And with 1K, I would buy this:

lightstand, wireless trigger, swivel adapter, 45" umbrella, Alien Bees B800, Canon 85mm F1.8 and you'd be set! (something like this anyways. But basically, invest the majority in LIGHTING)

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 08, 2010 01:52 |  #12

Deal of the century...

congrats on the gear.

Buy a 24-70 lens...sigma or canon. That will make the kit more versatile.

If you want some primes for portraits, get the 85 as mentioned above.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 08, 2010 01:52 |  #13

JayStar86 wrote in post #9954796 (external link)
I say get a 24-70L.... its nice a versatile lens and reasonably fast at F2.8. And if you can maybe pick up a Canon 85mm 1.8<<<< its a very good lens for the money and will do you nicely for taking full body and close up portrait shots of models while being able to do nice subject isolation with the F1.8. Just my two cents.

+1 on the brick
there is reason why almost every wedding photographer has a 24-70 f2.8 :D

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Rmitchell248
368 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 08, 2010 01:59 |  #14

you will want a bit lighting if you plan to shoot some models. A 35l on a 1dII I think would be too wide in general for shooting models and you would be right up in their face for most standard shots. I would want a lens with lower than 2.8 for the models to have the option to blur the background out really nicely and give more room to hopefully get away from shooting wide open if CA or sharpness became a problem. I feel that a 50 or 85mm would give you a better perspective. SInce you have the 50 1.8 maybe you could get an 85 1.8. Keep in mind if you end up liking either the 50 or 85 length for shooting the models that is something you will probably want to upgrade to the 50 1.4 or 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 version later on down the road.

Then pick up some lighting equipment with the rest of the money as others have stated.

NaKiD ­ EyE
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 08, 2010 02:08 |  #15

i know of a penthouse photographer who shoots his models with a disposable camera

sponsored links

2,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
I bought, I've shot and now I want MORE!!! So what to buy next??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.