Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 01:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to PW Mini TT1 & Flex TT5

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2010 15:10 |  #16

I think I saw it on Rob Galbraith website the test that shows that the Canon 550ex has the cleanest noise, so it performed the best (distance wise), do you Guys think its still worth it to get that flash (550ex).

sponsored links
ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Apr 06, 2010 20:29 |  #17

I have the 580ex2, and I've had no problems with range.
I once almost bought a 550, used from a wedding photographer who used Canon's battery pack to ensure faster recycle times. I don't have the battery pack, and wanted to use batteries. I tried that flash out and the recycle times, with the AA's, was HORRIBLE. I wonder if the higher voltage/amperage/whate​ver somehow messed up the recycle times, making it so the external pack HAD to be used in the future.
I didn't buy the flash, and swore then to never buy a used flash.

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 01:21 |  #18

Another question: How to do this or Is this possible ?

Situation:
At wedding reception,
Im using 30D with Mini TT1 and 580ex on camera (so I can adjust if needed),
then I have Flex TT5 with manual flash (Vivitar, etc) somewhere in the background or near DJ's table.
What do you think ?

TIA Guys

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Apr 08, 2010 07:57 |  #19

Sounds good to me. Gently light up the reception area, so it doesn't look like you're shooting into a cave. Also possibly gives you a slightly higher shutter speed to keep out some of the usually-yellow-ugly-ambient light.
I've just started using something similar to this method this week. I'm hoping the results are as good as I think they can be.

markhyo
554 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 08, 2010 10:47 as a reply to  @ ootsk's post |  #20

Before I got my Mini and Flexes, I used to use a 580EXII on camera and two Vivitar 285HV's on remotes. The trigger for the Vivitars were plugged into the PC sync on the 50D. I was using Calumet litelinks (I don't recommend them) to trigger the Vivitars. Most the time I could get away with having the flashes on 1/2 or 1/4 power, shooting between 800-1600 ISO and the batteries lasted all night long with two shooters triggering off of them.

Examples:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/1804144397_0827205452_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/1804992872_903ae4df5d_o.jpg

You should have no problem doing this with your current setup but you will probably have to change the FlexTT5 to trigger manual flash only in the PocketWizard Utility if you're using the shoe on the Flex. I would recommend however adding a second Vivitar or 430EX on another flex so you can create what they call a triangle lighting pattern. To achieve this you basically do the following: Setup two remote flashes on the long ends of a wall and point them towards the center of the room which in most cases is the dance floor. Your 580 on camera will provide fill. Basically between the three lights wherever you are in the room your lights will perform the pattern of a triangle. Depending how you position yourself you can get some creative lighting effects like the images above. The first shot above I basically squatted down to provide a rim light on the hair of the subjects. On the second shot I did the same thing but allowed the flash to be seen in the background. I did turn of the on camera flash off but allowed the flash to the right side of the long wall to fill the face of the girl.

Mark W EOS 70D, 60D, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 40mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 8mm Fisheye, Pentax 55mm f/1.8 M42 (For Sale)
http://www.markwphoto.​com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwphoto/ (external link)
Check out our YouTube videos @ http://www.youtube.com​/user/markhyo?feature=​guide (external link)

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 11:47 |  #21

Thanks for all the responses.
I do have PW Plus II also, so, if Im gonna use Plus II for the manual flash and still using Mini TT1 with 580ex on camera, I just use the "learn" button to connect to Plus II, right ? and Im ready to go ?

markhyo
554 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 08, 2010 11:52 |  #22

canondslr wrote in post #9956958 (external link)
Thanks for all the responses.
I do have PW Plus II also, so, if Im gonna use Plus II for the manual flash and still using Mini TT1 with 580ex on camera, I just use the "learn" button to connect to Plus II, right ? and Im ready to go ?

You should be golden! Have fun!

Mark W EOS 70D, 60D, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 40mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 8mm Fisheye, Pentax 55mm f/1.8 M42 (For Sale)
http://www.markwphoto.​com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwphoto/ (external link)
Check out our YouTube videos @ http://www.youtube.com​/user/markhyo?feature=​guide (external link)

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 11:55 |  #23

Allright cool, thanks a lot Guys...

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 08, 2010 12:21 |  #24

canondslr wrote in post #9954844 (external link)
Another question: How to do this or Is this possible ?

Situation:
At wedding reception,
Im using 30D with Mini TT1 and 580ex on camera (so I can adjust if needed),
then I have Flex TT5 with manual flash (Vivitar, etc) somewhere in the background or near DJ's table.
What do you think ?

TIA Guys

Do you have the 580EX sittig on the MiniTT1 so that you can adjust the output level of the remote flashes via the FlexTT5? If so, that's not going to work because the Vivitar flash is not an E-TTL flash so the FlexTT5 will not be able to adjust its output. And even if it were an E-TTL compatible flash, the FlexTT5 does not support a Vivitar flash so it problably still wouldn't work. You'd need to have a Canon EX flash or a Metz 58 AF-1c flash mounted on the remote FlexTT5 to be able to control it via the on-camera 580EX.

...Leo

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 12:38 |  #25

PacAce:

Do you have the 580EX sittig on the MiniTT1 so that you can adjust the output level of the remote flashes via the FlexTT5?

No, the remote flash will be vivitar manual flash, so I just gonna set it manually.

How about this ?
Mini TT1 with Vivitar manual flash on camera (will adjust power manually), and
Flex TT%5with 580ex for remote, so I can adjust the power from Mini TT1 on camera.

Thanks...

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 12:39 |  #26

Again, thanks for everyone helping me with this.
I started to grasp the knowledge of using these stuff.

troybal
544 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 08, 2010 13:17 |  #27

I was hoping to chime in on issues I am having with my PW Flex Units.
I have 2 Flex units (no mini) one on my Mark IV and the other on a 580EX II. I can never get the right lighting using OCF(ETTL) while camera is in manual mode. I tried it in TV and AV and the lighting looks great and even. But when I use Manual mode it is always too bright and I have to use exposure compensation to make it better. I see that there are some settings within the PW for what type of camera and to make some adjustments but there is no setting for the Mark IV.

Here is a picture using TV mode, I like the flash look.

IMAGE: http://www.aroybal.com/Family/We-are-in-Park/11/828699999_dDMPE-L.jpg

I do not have any with OCF while camera in manual mode without using exposure compensation but here is one using -2 exp.

IMAGE: http://www.aroybal.com/Family/We-are-in-Park/6/828698415_8G9i7-L.jpg

So I could use some serious help here on what I may be doing wrong when shooting in Manual mode(Camera) and OCF ETTL. Or better yet maybe some instruction on how I should be doing it.

I choose a Aperture and ISO and let the camera help me with the SS speed as I move my dial to be centered. I then click away. But then I have to compensate for the bright flash by -2 or even -3 sometimes.

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 13:43 |  #28

Im totally new to this stuff so maybe cant offer you much help, but I think 1DmkIV is not on the list of supported camera in PW utility software thingy (?). Doesnt mean it wouldnt work, just might have some bug for now.
In this case I think it will be fixed with the next update version of the utility.
But, I think you better listen to others with more experience/knowledge here :)
Good luck

troybal
544 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 08, 2010 13:46 |  #29

canondslr wrote in post #9957697 (external link)
Im totally new to this stuff so maybe cant offer you much help, but I think 1DmkIV is not on the list of supported camera in PW utility software thingy (?). Doesnt mean it wouldnt work, just might have some bug for now.
In this case I think it will be fixed with the next update version of the utility.
But, I think you better listen to others with more experience/knowledge here :)
Good luck

Yeah thats what I am thinking however I think the pics look great when in TV/AV mode so it may just be my arse not composing correctly or using the background to compose or not using it etc... so hopefully othes will chime in too :)

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 13:49 |  #30

Another question:
Would it make any difference if I matched the camera with the camera list in the utility instead of using "Auto" ?

Thanks.

sponsored links

5,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to PW Mini TT1 & Flex TT5
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.