Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Apr 2010 (Saturday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How you market yourself as photographer

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2010 16:50 |  #16

I was told this is a good book to read for this subject...
http://www.amazon.com …22JUT&colid=1VH​EZ50YFYGOC (external link)

sponsored links
geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2010 09:32 |  #17

For me it's mainly word of mouth, and via facebook. I work at a school so a lot of teachers have kids that play sports which I photograph, they then see the pictures and like my work and want me to do family photos for them. Word of mouth really does spread quickly, within the past few days I've had a few other teachers come up to me and ask if I can take some family photos for them. It's kind of interesting watching your facebook fan page grow as well, I only have about 200 fans now, but when someone becomes a fan usually a few other people will either become a fan, or at least check it out to see what their friend became a fan of.
Search engines are also your friend, I've been watching closely to search engine results with keywords such as "Goffstown Photography" "New Hampshire Photography", etc., and if my website doesn't show up I will add keywords to galleries or to the page itself to have it show up in results.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2010 09:34 |  #18

geoff5093 wrote in post #9956177 (external link)
For me it's mainly word of mouth, and via facebook. I work at a school so a lot of teachers have kids that play sports which I photograph, they then see the pictures and like my work and want me to do family photos for them. Word of mouth really does spread quickly, within the past few days I've had a few other teachers come up to me and ask if I can take some family photos for them. It's kind of interesting watching your facebook fan page grow as well, I only have about 200 fans now, but when someone becomes a fan usually a few other people will either become a fan, or at least check it out to see what their friend became a fan of.
Search engines are also your friend, I've been watching closely to search engine results with keywords such as "Goffstown Photography" "New Hampshire Photography", etc., and if my website doesn't show up I will add keywords to galleries or to the page itself to have it show up in results.

Yeah Facebook has been big for me as well, I post pictures of my son that I've taken, and I get a lot of my friends wanting me to get pictures of their kids...its a great place to be.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 08, 2010 09:40 |  #19

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9925753 (external link)
Conferences, trade shows, word of mouth, POTN, contact sheet and inscription with every print I sell, recently I send out thank you or happy birthday cards and a small gift to clients who have gone with me more than once. Mail drop, newspaper ads, magazine ads.

Im very traditional in my marketing, I like the personal touch above everything. I feel without it, you just come off as another GWC. Or a photographer with a great portfolio. But its not just that, its about service and consistency and being able to say "Yes" and not "maybe" and deliver a high quality product every time. Breaking the shell of someone who hates their picture taken and showing them that they are beautiful and the photographers that photographed them before were just bad at photographing.

It doesnt stop at the picture is what im getting at - I try to select methods of marketing that will allow me to actually reach my client and have them get to know me. I speak my mind a lot, I never want to be the guy who is holier than thou just because of some small build on fame.

I should get some business cards but I have trouble settling on one design.

If you have seen me post anything I often post images with links leading to a place where you can buy the print.

The most valuable tool for marketing: Networking. Get into the community and let people know what you can do for them. Let them see what you do and let them know that you are the go-to guy if they need anything. Leave your business card around, leave it in the bathroom at the cafe, stick it in a book when your done reading it, drop it at the doctors office. People are curious. They are drawn to things that pop out or are out of place.

Never waste money on poor presentation, it took me a while to realize that but there is no substitute for just having one ad that looks GOOD by having 10 that look amateurish

wow Karl - good stuff... as far as business and marketing go, Im definitely a GWC... some people are born entrepreneurs and some can learn it, and some real struggle at the business part...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 08, 2010 09:44 |  #20

here is something I just started and it seems promising.....

I used to send out emails, this time I created a nice ad with my latest photo and web link etc... I send that out, mainly to friends and relatives and a few past clients. I then ask them to forward it to the people on their email list.

I emailed just 40 on my list, and so far I have inquiries for two weddings, a Sweet 16, and a Maternity session. I am going to continue this and keep track of it.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

scombridae
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 08, 2010 10:18 |  #21

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #9938692 (external link)
I was told this is a good book to read for this subject...
http://www.amazon.com …22JUT&colid=1VH​EZ50YFYGOC (external link)

Thanks Chris...

For me it's mainly word of mouth, and via facebook.

Oh boy...I being trying to tell surround me but yet....:( one more interest me...how you use facebook..can I add you? maybe I can learn how you use facebook in market..

I've being trying to update or modified my keywords.. but thanks for the input...

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #9956188 (external link)
Yeah Facebook has been big for me as well, I post pictures of my son that I've taken, and I get a lot of my friends wanting me to get pictures of their kids...its a great place to be.

how you use facebook..can I add you? maybe I can learn how you use facebook in market..

Ray Marrero wrote in post #9956233 (external link)
I used to send out emails,

recently I did sent emails to few event coordinator but without any photos just words..it been a week so far no respond...

BTW guy....personally please go to my website..am I a suck photographer!! the other thing, thank you for giving me ideas..

p/s: the sad part had coming recently...currently the place I work having bad business and till to date haven;t receive my last month salary..the only thing in my mind to pursue photography as my main income....which I'm really enjoy doing it..

"Every day I learn new things.......:D"
Scombridaehttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/scombridae/ (external link)
http://azhanmmaidin.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
Canon 10D, 50mm f1.8II, 28-135mm f3.5-4.0, 100-400mm f4.5-5.0

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2010 10:23 |  #22

scombridae wrote in post #9956389 (external link)
how you use facebook..can I add you? maybe I can learn how you use facebook in market..

Well, I just use my personal page and have been posting personal pictures up, of my son, that wow my firends. But a lot of photographers have a personal page and a "fan" page, for their business. You should create a fan page and use that to post sessions you've done, and information on discounts, etc...etc...like this one:

http://www.facebook.co​m …h-Photography/3476353024​2 (external link)

You can become a "fan" and see what his page is all about.

Right now I'm just getting hits from friends who want their kids pictures to look as good as my sons do. I haven't quite turned the page on taking my photo hobby to a business yet, thats what I'm researching now for, and reading threads like this.

scombridae
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 08, 2010 10:29 |  #23

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #9956414 (external link)
Well, I just use my personal page and have been posting personal pictures up, of my son, that wow my firends. But a lot of photographers have a personal page and a "fan" page, for their business. You should create a fan page and use that to post sessions you've done, and information on discounts, etc...etc...like this one:

http://www.facebook.co​m …h-Photography/3476353024​2 (external link)

Thanks alot Chris..for sharing

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2010 12:43 |  #24

If you also go to my website (link in sig), I will have a facebook link that leads to my fan page. I have a personal facebook page for myself, then a fan page for by business. My fan page is pretty basic with a link to my website, contact info, brief description of what I do, and some example photographs. I was going to create a group originally, but for some people they don't want to go through he trouble, it's much easier to just click the "become a fan" button, that way when you update your fan page with a new deal or anything, it will be posted on their news feed.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

scombridae
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 08, 2010 19:21 |  #25

geoff5093 wrote in post #9957302 (external link)
If you also go to my website

Thanks Geoff

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,301 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 09, 2010 06:23 |  #26

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9925753 (external link)
The most valuable tool for marketing: Networking.

Words of wisdom. And don't negate the potentially-convoluted paths networking may take. I'm currently negotiating a commercial contract for repetitive sales that started with buying supplies.

While purchasing some framing supplies, the shop-owner looked over my shoulder at some thumbnail prints I was using to match matte colors to. She asked some questions and said she knew somebody who may be interested in what I do.

You never know who or where it will come from. Be nice to people and remember that everybody knows somebody.

Edit: also, be prepared. I'm ashamed to admit I often am not. I have some professionally designed business cards, but am embarrassed to admit I am honestly without them about 90% of the time. When I was asked for a BC, I did not have one so I wrote down contact info on a scrap of paper. When I was finally contacted by the potential client, I was told the scrap of paper was accidentally thrown in a trash can and was dug out. It could have gone the other way, so be prepared and be professional.

Website (external link) |

scombridae
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2010 10:12 |  #27

CannedHeat wrote in post #9962271 (external link)
Words of wisdom. And don't negate the potentially-convoluted paths networking may take. I'm currently negotiating a commercial contract for repetitive sales that started with buying supplies.

While purchasing some framing supplies, the shop-owner looked over my shoulder at some thumbnail prints I was using to match matte colors to. She asked some questions and said she knew somebody who may be interested in what I do.

You never know who or where it will come from. Be nice to people and remember that everybody knows somebody.

Edit: also, be prepared. I'm ashamed to admit I often am not. I have some professionally designed business cards, but am embarrassed to admit I am honestly without them about 90% of the time. When I was asked for a BC, I did not have one so I wrote down contact info on a scrap of paper. When I was finally contacted by the potential client, I was told the scrap of paper was accidentally thrown in a trash can and was dug out. It could have gone the other way, so be prepared and be professional.

good experience...to motivate me...thanks

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 09, 2010 12:00 |  #28

This seems to work for me; Cliche as it may. I let the pictures speak for me. People find me from onewed.com - directs them to my website. leninglass.com
But wait.. the site is not done 0_o? Links not working? I like the pictures he has on the front page but How much does he cost? o_0

Yes.. thats the point =D I am a webdesigner full time. But why is my website not done? It's that way on purpose. I don't want to word off my clients by my price. I let them email me and call me to ask. I will boast - They love my pictures. It also helps to be a people person =D

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 09, 2010 14:19 |  #29

leninglass wrote in post #9963991 (external link)
This seems to work for me; Cliche as it may. I let the pictures speak for me. People find me from onewed.com - directs them to my website. leninglass.com
But wait.. the site is not done 0_o? Links not working? I like the pictures he has on the front page but How much does he cost? o_0

Yes.. thats the point =D I am a webdesigner full time. But why is my website not done? It's that way on purpose. I don't want to word off my clients by my price. I let them email me and call me to ask. I will boast - They love my pictures. It also helps to be a people person =D

Hey another Okie! Nice to see you on here. Ever need an assistant I'm ready!
Dead links can be just as "wording off" as putting a price up, you could at least put some words up there that says to email you to discuss a customized package in their budget.

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 09, 2010 17:00 |  #30

Chris! Hello! Nice to see an Okie here =D Yes, I am aware of that. But I have limited my self to 10 weddings a year. I am currently at 8 weddings for this year. Why limit my self? I am still honing my skills and style. I don't want to be rushed on these weddings. I don't want to half-a$$ job it. I have a full time job so it will also allow me to do my main job. =D

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links

4,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
How you market yourself as photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.