Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Most Reliable external HD?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,781 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 09, 2010 05:18 as a reply to  @ post 9961949 |  #16

all metal enclosure that conducts heat away from the drive.

and made of aluminum so they dissipate heat.

This does not work. Seriously, do not depend on metallic conduction to keep a big hard drive cool. LaCie external drives have been specifically known for several years to be especially bad in this regard--Google it.

Get one of the free SMART utilities that monitor the temperature of your drive, and you will see that "conduction" enclosures routinely run the drive in the red.

You want airflow, either forced flow with a fan or a well-designed convection enclosure.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 09, 2010 05:34 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #17

As has already been said, all of the popular brands are good.

As has also been said, but is worth reiterating: Do not depend on any single drive for anything you don't want to lose, ever. All hard drives will fail, eventually. It's only a matter of time.

Buy two drives, or an enclosure that takes two drives and does RAID1. And keep offsite backups as well.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 09, 2010 12:20 |  #18

RDKirk wrote in post #9962106 (external link)
This does not work. Seriously, do not depend on metallic conduction to keep a big hard drive cool. LaCie external drives have been specifically known for several years to be especially bad in this regard--Google it.

Get one of the free SMART utilities that monitor the temperature of your drive, and you will see that "conduction" enclosures routinely run the drive in the red.

You want airflow, either forced flow with a fan or a well-designed convection enclosure.

There are no "forced flow with a fan" or "well-designed convection enclosure" I know of that fits my 2.5" notebook backup drive AND fits in my pocket. There's metal, or plastic. I've been building high-end custom gaming PCs for years, and know a thing or two about airflow (which is actually for amateurs; I prefer watercooling). But I'm talking about a pocket-sized 2.5" notebook backup drive, maybe you missed that part in my post?

Coppatop85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2010 15:04 |  #19

Oh, I know 100% not to depend on one single drive for anything -- I have 1.5TB of space on my laptop, this is purely for backup. Don't think I want to deal with any sort of network drive, the WD "books" seem to be good.

5D3, lenses, tripod, and a flash.
Wobsite: www.coppatopphotos.com (external link)

dba1954
194 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 09, 2010 16:13 as a reply to  @ Coppatop85's post |  #20

I use a Microsoft Home server to backup all of my PC's/ Laptops. It also has a shared file section for my photos that all of the PC's in the house can access and save to.

Wayne

5DMK2, | 50mm f1.4 | 24-105mm f4.0L | 100mm f2.8L | 100mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L | 70-300mm f2.8L IS | EF 2x II | EF 1.4 II | Kenko's | Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash | Canon 270ex II flash | Canon 430ex III flash

RDKirk
13,781 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 09, 2010 18:44 |  #21

hyt wrote in post #9964083 (external link)
There are no "forced flow with a fan" or "well-designed convection enclosure" I know of that fits my 2.5" notebook backup drive AND fits in my pocket. There's metal, or plastic. I've been building high-end custom gaming PCs for years, and know a thing or two about airflow (which is actually for amateurs; I prefer watercooling). But I'm talking about a pocket-sized 2.5" notebook backup drive, maybe you missed that part in my post?

This is what the OP is talking about:

I am looking to pick up a 1TB external HD to back up all my photos (and some other media). I have heard a few horror stories about external HD's failing, which I would hate to have happen.

As for airflow being for amateurs, that "amateur" class includes the State Farm Insurance and the Department of Defense, which run the number one and number two largest networks in the world--and they do air cooling.

I've been building business machines myself since 1988. I'd say "high end gaming machines" may be nifty, but they are for amateurs, by definition not for people who are running a day-to-day business with them.

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 09, 2010 19:07 |  #22

WD are generally what I use. A good external case (something that has air flow) or even another machine would be preferred.

If you're trying for the safest solution for data backup, I'd go with a combo of what some people have said. A raid 1 set on-site and a full backup off-site (1 drive or another raid set). There's no 100% solution but it's a pretty good bet not much will happen to both sets at once (unless you store your off-site backups next door).

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,765 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 09, 2010 20:32 as a reply to  @ Mocows's post |  #23

Get a name brand drive. As has been said, they all fail. I use internal drives in external enclosures. At present I have a 500GB Samsung drive (USB) for raw photos, and a1.5TB Seagate drive (Firewire) for backup with Time Machine. I've used Western Digital and lots of others. (I have a 1TB Seagate spare and assorted 2.5" drives hanging around.) If you think a drive is acting strange, don't even wait. Replace it.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 09, 2010 23:24 |  #24

RDKirk wrote in post #9966276 (external link)
As for airflow being for amateurs, that "amateur" class includes the State Farm Insurance and the Department of Defense, which run the number one and number two largest networks in the world--and they do air cooling.

I've been building business machines myself since 1988. I'd say "high end gaming machines" may be nifty, but they are for amateurs, by definition not for people who are running a day-to-day business with them.

The OP wanted an external drive for backup, and I simply offered a suggestion that works for me and plenty of other people. If you think that everyone should be using forced-induction tabletop RAID enclosures for occasional backup, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I don't quite understand why you feel it necessary to shoot down everyone else's. Plenty of people have used enclosed notebook drives (both prebuilt and self-built) as backup, and they work just fine.

I was using the term "amateur" figuratively, but with all due respect, your examples of State Farm and the Dept of Defense are not relevant - their systems are prioritized on cost effectiveness, not absolute performance. Air cooling is cost effective, and I'm not knocking it for the average home or business user. But for absolute effectiveness? It doesn't touch liquid cooling, which is almost required at the level of overclocking today's enthusiasts run their top-end gaming rigs, which you dismiss so offhandedly. To use an even more extreme example, look up what kind of cooling the Cray XT5 Jaguar (as of Nov 2009, the world's fastest supercomputer) uses. It ain't air; in fact, Cray calls air cooling a "technology of yesterday" (lol).

http://www.cray.com …t/whitepaper_ec​ophlex.pdf (external link)

Again, I'm not knocking air cooling; I'm merely pointing out that business machines are merely one out of many categories of computers, and there are at least several that are far more demanding in terms of performance and HVAC requirements. To get back on topic, in my experience as a family photographer who backs up about 250GB of photos and movies about once a month, my 500GB 2.5" drive in an aluminum pocket-sized enclosure does just fine, and has never gone much beyond room temperature even after a full backup. Anyway, enough on this topic from me. I wanted to offer an honest suggestion to the OP, not get into a debate or hijack the thread.

Coppatop85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2010 23:28 |  #25

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

5D3, lenses, tripod, and a flash.
Wobsite: www.coppatopphotos.com (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 09, 2010 23:29 |  #26

I have WD. Had problems with the connections via the cases but never the drives themselves so...yeah. I like WD, but I've had to replace cases on both. I got better cases anyhow. More room to breath.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

whitehawk
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2010 03:32 |  #27

something new and slow. newer 5400 drives should last longer than 7200 rpm drives.

5D3 | 35L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580Ex II

rodleviton
801 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2010 04:31 |  #28

smcclelland wrote in post #9960394 (external link)
Like others I have a bunch of enclosures and "safety nets". I use a WD Studio 1TB alongside my 1TB Time Capsule that has another 1TB hanging off of it. I've been lingering on ordering a Drobo or a DroboPro (video work sucks too many gigs of space doing post effects) but am waiting for a nice price point on the Drobo FS or DroboPro.

I also backup all my stuff off-site and have an external drive at my office as well.

I use this Drobo and it serves all my needs. Fully automated and gives me peace of mind: http://www.drobo.com/p​roducts/drobo.php (external link)

Gear: Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i/Kiss X3 (external link) - Gripped | Canon S95 | Canon EF 24-70L | Canon EF 70-300L| Sigma 30 f1.4 | 18-55mm IS | Tamron 18-270/10-24/17-35 | EF 50 f1.8 II | Tokina 100 Macro | Speedlite 270EX | Helios 85 f1.5 | Jupiter 9 85 F2 | Helios M44-4 58 f2 | Jupiter 135 f3.5 | Mir 1V 37 f2.8 | Industar 61 50 MC f2.5 | Industar 50 F3.5 | Pentacon 30 f3.5 | TAIR 11A 135 f2.8 |
Flickr (external link)

40dnewbie
93 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 10, 2010 04:45 |  #29

I have found my WD Passbook to be reliable, but as mentioned earlier, you need to backup in someway. Any HD can go at any time.

1DMKIII, 5D mk III, 7D mk II, 70D, 50 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 85 1.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6L, 600EX II-RT, (2)580EX II, (2)430EX
www.photosbywalker.com (external link)

RDKirk
13,781 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 10, 2010 08:19 as a reply to  @ 40dnewbie's post |  #30

The OP wanted an external drive for backup, and I simply offered a suggestion that works for me and plenty of other people. If you think that everyone should be using forced-induction tabletop RAID enclosures for occasional backup, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I don't quite understand why you feel it necessary to shoot down everyone else's. Plenty of people have used enclosed notebook drives (both prebuilt and self-built) as backup, and they work just fine.

The OP spoke of horror stories of external drives failing. I told him why they fail: Overheating is the number one cause of external drive failure. It's not the brand of drive, it's poor drive enclosures, and the worst drive enclosures for overheating are those that depend on thermal conduction rather than forced airflow or designed air convection.

If he's worried about a 1tb external drive failing, the first thing he needs to look at is how its cooled, not the brand of drive--the companies that make 1tb drives are all good companies.

He's not going to watercooling, he's not a high-end gamer. He's looking for a cost-effective way to back his pictures up.

And you certainly did not see me advocating RAID for backups. RAID mirrors are a "high availability" solution, not a backup solution.

sponsored links

3,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Most Reliable external HD?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.