Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 10 Apr 2010 (Saturday) 04:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dallas skyline at night, a panorama

jhall
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2010 04:19 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/4507543340_201df75fcf_b.jpg

My wife and I made a quick trip to Dallas last night to take some photos of the skyline. This is my first panorama so C&C is appreciated. I know that the sky around the W hotel is exposed different than the rest of the photo. Can someone point me to a tutorial or guide that would help me fix it? I tried darkening that original frame and then photomerging them in photoshop, but it didn't seem to help. I have PS CS3, but I am fairly new to it, so any help would be appreciated!

Also, I don't know where to host it in a larger format, sorry if it's a little small.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Gripped Canon T1i, 50mm 1.8 Mk 1

sponsored links
Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 10, 2010 04:36 |  #2

Looks great but larger would be better - Have you tried Flickr? or imageshack?

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

jhall
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2010 04:38 |  #3

That is linked from flickr..I uploaded the original but that is as large as a size as you can get with a free account I guess. I tried photobucket as well. Haven't tried imageshack yet..

40dnewbie
93 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 10, 2010 04:50 |  #4

Looks fine to me. I am going to use your experience as an inspiration to shoot similar scenes.

1DMKIII, 5D mk III, 7D mk II, 70D, 50 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 85 1.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6L, 600EX II-RT, (2)580EX II, (2)430EX
www.photosbywalker.com (external link)

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2010 05:29 |  #5

Looks cool at that size but hard to tell anything regarding detail. If you are having problems finding hosting PM me and I will host it for you so you can have a link that is full res.
Cheers.

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 10, 2010 08:35 as a reply to  @ Tadaaa's post |  #6

I'm curious as to which vantage point you shot this from...there are a few overpasses that span the Trinity River spillway, as well as the levee itself.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

jhall
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2010 11:40 |  #7

argyle wrote in post #9968709 (external link)
I'm curious as to which vantage point you shot this from...there are a few overpasses that span the Trinity River spillway, as well as the levee itself.

:D Just above the Belmont Hotel on Ft. Worth Ave there is a cliff with several lots for sale. We just went to one of the empty lots. I had read about several places to go for this type of shot, one including having to pull off the road on I30 at an overpass. I didn't like that idea so much so we decided to try the spot above the Belmont first. It was a spectacular view!

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 10, 2010 13:39 |  #8

jhall wrote in post #9969286 (external link)
:D Just above the Belmont Hotel on Ft. Worth Ave there is a cliff with several lots for sale. We just went to one of the empty lots. I had read about several places to go for this type of shot, one including having to pull off the road on I30 at an overpass. I didn't like that idea so much so we decided to try the spot above the Belmont first. It was a spectacular view!

Thanks...I know the area well, just never gave that particular spot any thought. The levees aren't the safest spot either, unless you're carrying, due to the drunks/crackheads that usually frequent the underpasses. I thought you may have shot from the overpass on either Hampton or Sylvan...

Late afternoons are also a good time...the late sun usually blasts the glass facades on the buildings with a gold light...looks pretty cool.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

jhall
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2010 14:51 |  #9

Yeah, I knew that even the area around the Belmont turns sketchy pretty quick as you get away from it, so I was prepared. lol. I have seen a panorama that was taken in late afternoon that had the gold light on the building, it was very cool. It was actually what inspired me to go take this picture, we just didn't get there early enough. I like the night version too though!

jhall
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2010 01:14 |  #10

Here is the link to a bigger version thanks to tadaa!

http://www.catosjourna​l.com/Panorama%20copy%​203.jpg (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2011 23:13 |  #11

jhall wrote in post #9968196 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

My wife and I made a quick trip to Dallas last night to take some photos of the skyline. This is my first panorama so C&C is appreciated. I know that the sky around the W hotel is exposed different than the rest of the photo. Can someone point me to a tutorial or guide that would help me fix it? I tried darkening that original frame and then photomerging them in photoshop, but it didn't seem to help. I have PS CS3, but I am fairly new to it, so any help would be appreciated!

Also, I don't know where to host it in a larger format, sorry if it's a little small.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

I know this is an old thread. I went to the location you took this shot at, seems to be some small town homes or something there now. I didn't feel like dealing with anyone after I set up so I just left. Maybe I'll go in the day and see if anyone has a problem with me being there at night. Do you or anyone else know of a similar location? This would have been a perfect spot.

sponsored links

2,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dallas skyline at night, a panorama
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.