Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jul 2006 (Monday) 00:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How about Landscape Photographers providing some tips?

darkcbr1000rr
28 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 09, 2009 21:32 as a reply to  @ post 6259309 |  #121

#110- Reverse your thinking. Most people look for subject, color, then light. Try looking for that killer light first, then for some color and usually you'll find a subject. Wether it is some grass growing out of a lakebed or foxtails on top of a hill.

#111- Don't just look around when you get to a spot. Put the viewfinder up to your eye first.

This one sounds obvious but some people forget, so I won't number it.

If the sky isn't that great, compose so that little of it isn't showing in the picture.

sponsored links
gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 09, 2009 22:35 |  #122

darkcbr1000rr wrote in post #8254453 (external link)
#110- Reverse your thinking. Most people look for subject, color, then light. Try looking for that killer light first, then for some color and usually you'll find a subject. Wether it is some grass growing out of a lakebed or foxtails on top of a hill.

Great tip. I've learned to think in terms of light as my first qualifier for a photo.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 10, 2009 11:46 |  #123

#112 - If your camera has LiveView, use it! It's especially helpful when it's dark out zooming in to 10x will allow you to easily manual focus. LiveView is also great for working in extreme angles or otherwise hard-to-get spots.

#113 - If your lens has IS and it's mounted to a tripod - turn off the IS. (sort of a duh, but thought I'd mention it.)

bachscuttler
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 10, 2009 15:06 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #124

Embrace the zone metering method.
I'm sat here bewildered after buying a video tutorial on it, feeling like a primary school kid on my first day, ready to take down every image I ever posted and wanting to go out in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights until I've mastered it.

The 50% Photoshop time it will save me, I'm going to use drinking fine brandy.

Study fine brandies...you won't be able to get up for sunrises but you will become a much deeper thinker and thinking is a valuable tool in a landscapers arsenal.

camerastageleft.com (external link) |1D MkIII x2 | 350D | 17-40L | 24-70L | Nifty Fifty | 70-200L f4 | 100-400L IS f4/5.6 | Yongnuo PT-04 radio trigger/receivers | Slik Pro 700DX Tripod | Speedlite 580EX Mk1 + MkII & 430EX MkII | Cotton Carrier Vest + ever growing mountain of strobist gear.

backslash
68 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 26, 2009 07:38 |  #125

#116 Always check that your batteries are fully charged before you leave home.

gallery (external link) - flickr (external link) - gear (external link)http://www.geavity.com​/people/backslash/ (external link)

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2010 10:14 |  #126

#117 - Shoot RAW files. With the advances in software there is really no excuse not to do so. Apologies if I missed it, and I know it is probably obvious to most, but maybe not everybody.

Les, your gallery is awesome.

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2010 20:18 |  #127

welcome to potn, swhiggins.
#118 review #17. landscapes are pictures of objects that change very little from day to day except for seasonal foliage, snow cover etc. Most all of the shots of famous landscapes like half dome or Mather point or the Grand Tetons will look very similar EXCEPT that every one of them was shot in different light conditions and the really striking shots are always the ones with the amazing light. I am trying to put together some knowledge about my local favorite spots and how the light is affected by incoming storms, high pressure clear and cold sunrises, etc. It's a tough learn, and I am beginning to realise that I would rather be lucky than good at predicting light conditions.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 17, 2010 20:21 |  #128
bannedPermanent ban

Move around, shoot a few frames of one scene but then move on and get a different perspective from anoher, just because it's digital doesn't mean you have to lean on the shutter and get 100 frames of the same 5 minutes.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 24, 2010 01:47 |  #129

#119 - Try to shoot HDR, to maintain the detail in bright or dark areas, when you shoot HDR, you should do it fast because clouds can move.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

photo731friend
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 01, 2014 11:34 as a reply to  @ post 1809701 |  #130

great advise …thanks so much

photo731friend
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 01, 2014 11:35 as a reply to  @ darkcbr1000rr's post |  #131

makes good sense … thanks

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 02, 2014 05:38 |  #132

Hi all,

I'm the OP and cant' believe it was 8 years ago that I made this post.

This whole forum has been the greatest inspiration for me and I have learned so much and tried to share back where I can. Time to post back into this thread again.

Tip #120: Use Live View mode with grid lines to assist with composition when feasible to assist with compositions. Will not always be necessary, but helps a lot, if not only to assist with getting the horizon straight.

Tio #121: Use Live View mode in conjunction with your real time histogram to facilitate accurate exposures.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

dm1215al
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Nov 27, 2016 16:14 as a reply to  @ post 1807543 |  #133

Just some fantastic tips.
I love being outdoors shooting pictures, I will always get off the trail when I can.
Just slow down and take a good look around you, all kinds of things to photograph.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,900 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Nov 27, 2016 18:06 |  #134

#122 Bring an emergency poncho in your camera bag, in case it rains
#123 Bring some toilet paper

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

74,114 views & 3 likes for this thread
How about Landscape Photographers providing some tips?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.