Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Most Reliable external HD?

carloman
115 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 10, 2010 08:53 as a reply to  @ post 9962106 |  #31

If you can wait maybe about 6 months or so, by then SSD drives (solid state drive means no moving parts) are coming down in price. As of right now a 64 GB which I know is pretty small is about 135 bucks. These prices will come down of course very soon I suspect. They come in the SATA form so you can pop them in your pc or buy a hardrive case for them. They have a MTBF rate of ONE MILLION HOURS, over 100 years if you leave them on. Of course no one has been around to see this yet but better failure rate than regular hardrives for sure. I'm waiting for them to come down and hopefully pick up a 500 gig. Something to think about anyways.

http://ncix.com …index.php?minor​catid=1275 (external link)

sponsored links
Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 10, 2010 22:43 |  #32

I have a multi tier system
All my photos are on my Drobo. I LOVE it. 4 drives, mix and matched in it's raid. right now 1 750 gig, 2 1TB and 1 1.5 TB drives.. all western digital.
Monthly (Or after a big photo trip) I mirror the Drobo to:
a 1 TB Western Digial My Book that I leave powered off unless I need it.
and
a 1.5 TB 3.5" Internal Western Digital hard drive that's kept either at work or in the Bank's Safe Deposit box.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

40dnewbie
93 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 11, 2010 16:35 |  #33

I have had good experience with WD, but the best advice came earlier. Whatever you use make sure you have a reliable backup plan.

1DMKIII, 5D mk III, 7D mk II, 70D, 50 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 85 1.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6L, 600EX II-RT, (2)580EX II, (2)430EX
www.photosbywalker.com (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2010 16:52 |  #34

carloman wrote in post #9968760 (external link)
If you can wait maybe about 6 months or so, by then SSD drives (solid state drive means no moving parts) are coming down in price. As of right now a 64 GB which I know is pretty small is about 135 bucks. These prices will come down of course very soon I suspect. They come in the SATA form so you can pop them in your pc or buy a hardrive case for them. They have a MTBF rate of ONE MILLION HOURS, over 100 years if you leave them on. Of course no one has been around to see this yet but better failure rate than regular hardrives for sure. I'm waiting for them to come down and hopefully pick up a 500 gig. Something to think about anyways.

I'll second this! Spinning platters with heads floating on air bearings type hard drives WILL fail, it is only a matter of time. SSD's are the way to go, especially if you don't work the dickens out of them. Even SSD's will eventually fail, as they are rated for a number of write cycles, but as mentioned in the quote above, a lot better MTBF than conventional hard drives.

Jim

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 11, 2010 17:49 |  #35

Another vote for Western Digital. I have 3 of them and they've never failed or given me any problems.

-Mikey

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2010 18:04 as a reply to  @ xMClass's post |  #36

Every drive manufacturer makes a myriad of different capacity and speed hard drives, not to mention MTBF design specs. The best bet is to gather user data from sources such as Newegg. Most drives purchased by consumers nowadays are SATA. However, for industrial-duty, high MTBF, 24/7 use, can't beat a SCSI drive. It boils down to purchashing a drive or drives commensurate to the value you put on your files. As mentioned previously by a post, personally going to wait until SSD prices are reasonable. Here again, there are quality/speed levels within SSD drives.

Jim

sponsored links

3,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Most Reliable external HD?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.