Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mark ii vs 7d

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2010 20:02 |  #16

7D because wildlife is my main interest.

I would love to try full frame for everything else and when the next version of 5D comes out I will buy it because I think I'll be ready for it by then.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2010 20:21 |  #17

Why is FF something people feel they have to be "ready for?"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2010 20:32 |  #18

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #9976362 (external link)

lol, good question. :lol::lol::lol:

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 11, 2010 20:35 |  #19

I'm fortunate enough to have both.

When I'm shooting wildlife or sports, the 7D is the better choice. It's very fast and responsive. The 7D's AF system does really well (not that the 5D2 is a slouch, but it isn't designed for action).

Tracking is top-notch as shown here. I tracked this bird from to the left of the railing to the right where he came out from behind. The camera stayed on the Heron the entire time (I skipped several shots in the series, but they're all locked on the Heron).

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/121567021.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/121567028.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/121567030.jpg

The pixel density is a plus as well. Here's a Blue Jay at 600 mm, f/8 with the 7D. In order to fill the frame in a similar fashon on the 5D2, I'd need 960 mm (not accounting for pixel county, which would relieve the 5D2 a little).

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/123460773.jpg

The 5D2, on the other hand, really shows its capabilities in comparison when shooting at high ISO settings or when you want to utilize the shallowest DOF. The files are cleaner and have more latitude for adjustment at the mid-high ISO range than those from the 7D. It's also better (for me, due to my lens collection) if you want to go ultra-wide. My 16-35 is a great interior lens on the 5D2 (the 14L would be even better due to the very low distortion).

I'll be at an evening rally this Thursday - I will be using the 5D2 (or maybe both) for that event.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

eicorvette
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2010 20:50 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Nice, thanx for the replies ;)

Canon EOS 7D...

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2010 20:54 as a reply to  @ post 9976188 |  #21

7d for the fps

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 11, 2010 21:42 as a reply to  @ Octowl's post |  #22

I am really liking my 7D!

YONG ­ JIA ­ LIN
58 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2010 22:12 |  #23

5D Mark II for portrait and 7D for sport. That is it~!

www.eboboo.com (external link)
Body Mount Supporter for professional photography and videography;
Canon EOS 7D, 20D; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM; Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM; Canon Speedlite 580EX; Canon XL1s

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2010 22:18 |  #24

LOL! In my case:

Firstly, I have barely started to photographed people or tried my hand at many landscapes (i.e. the kinds of subjects I'd want full frame for.)

Secondly, even if I did, I don't have any suitable lenses below 70mm - so unless everyone stands well back, they'll all have to wait until I'm ready!

Thirdly, I think another camera variant would be wasted on me now as I'm still enjoying learning to fully use the one I've got. I want to keep something back for the time comes when I want to try something new. I don't want to just buy stuff and have everything all at once, I want to savour and fully explore each individual thing.

That's why I'm not ready!

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2010 22:42 |  #25

Blockburner28 wrote in post #9976188 (external link)
How big is the IQ jump? i'm in the same warp as you. I'm using a 7D, but I will mostly be shooting portraits. I want the 5D2 so bad, but I will only be using the 50mm 1.8 since that is the only lens I have. Is it worth giving up the 7d + 28-135mm for the 5D with just the 50mm? btw I will be buying a light kit to use my wireless flash with. What would be the better camera for the long run btw I will be buying another lens next year.

In your situation, I'd buy a 5D classic, and you'll have $1300 left for lenses. 50mm on FF is not a good portrait length. You'd want something from 85 to 135. Spend $950 on the 135L and you'll have a killer combination.

flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 11, 2010 22:53 |  #26

I think it's usually meant in the terms of suitable glass. Or at least that's the only thing I can think of! ;)

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2010 23:09 |  #27

5D II for me because I don't do action.

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2010 00:27 |  #28

Todd Lambert wrote in post #9977365 (external link)
I think it's usually meant in the terms of suitable glass. Or at least that's the only thing I can think of! ;)

<Shrug>

Folks seem to think that FF is some kind of magical place that only the best of the best of the best are entitled to try.

If someone came to me with no prior photographic experience asking which camera they ought to get, I'd suggest a nice, clean, previously-owned 5D (or a 5DMkII) and a 50mm f/1.4. I'd strongly suggest they set it to Large/Fine JPEG and just go find light for a year. Only then would I suggest they worry about the other bells and whistles.

The simpler the camera (regardless of sensor size) the more you learn to think like a photographer and less like a technician.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 12, 2010 00:32 |  #29

Theyre both great cameras and excellent at what they do best. If i had to decide on just one, I would think what most of my photos ive shot where and choose the camera that feeds my needs best.

There is no better and both beat out the other in certain things.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 12, 2010 01:20 |  #30

Jay, excellent points... totally agree.

sponsored links

17,822 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mark ii vs 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.