Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Apr 2010 (Friday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My homemade Vagabond setup. Check this out.

GMosher
260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2010 11:01 |  #46

it states pertty clearly on the AB site that the vagabonds are not designed to run the modeling lights, and that they should not be used for any length of time.

Canon EOS Digital Gear, Light and Luck.
Not always in that order.:)

sponsored links
M3 ­ Inspirations
51 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2010 11:13 as a reply to  @ post 9964347 |  #47

Hmmmm, I got one of those!

MJones
299 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2010 15:24 |  #48

Agamemnon wrote in post #9968644 (external link)
They had two SU700NETs listed for $90 - I bought the black one, and I'm not sure how much quantity they have, but those look to be single units.

There are some others SU700XL ($150, although ~45lbs) that they seem to have more stock of.

Edit: They also seem to ship out of Buffalo, so shipping isn't too bad to you Stateside folk

Edit 2: These units are refurbished - I should've mentioned it, but figured that for the price (New versions of the new model are $350) it'd be implied. Apologies.
They replace the batteries in the unit, and apparently warrant it themselves.

Where did you order yours ?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) 500px: http://500px.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) Website: www.photosbymartello.c​om (external link)

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 11, 2010 16:49 |  #49

GMosher wrote in post #9973766 (external link)
it states pertty clearly on the AB site that the vagabonds are not designed to run the modeling lights, and that they should not be used for any length of time.

Awwww ok then I feel much better. If that is the case then this UPS unit will fire multiple strobes at full power all day long.

MIKE - Flickr (external link)
7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.43northphotography​.com (external link)

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 11, 2010 20:08 as a reply to  @ 43 North's post |  #50

Here is a short video of my UPS unit in action.

http://www.youtube.com …_dj8WIJBE&featu​re=channel (external link)

MIKE - Flickr (external link)
7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.43northphotography​.com (external link)

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 11, 2010 22:48 |  #51

MJones wrote in post #9974874 (external link)
Where did you order yours ?

I ordered mine from ebay, seller is ExcessUPS:
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/excessups/ (external link)

Seller is in Canada, but looks like they actually ship from Buffalo, so shipping to the states should be about what you'd expect.

They're good to deal with, too, answered some questions I had about them.

I ordered it Friday, and I'll let you know when it arrives next week what it's like. I'm sure it's just like 43 North has been reporting though, I bought the same unit.

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 11, 2010 23:11 |  #52

Is there a difference with the various models that we need to be aware of (ie; the "net", "xl", etc.)?

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2010 08:19 as a reply to  @ thebishopp's post |  #53

Yes, the XL are extended life models, and will likely increase the weight of the unit (Compared to a "normal" model, which may be NET, or just no suffix) by about 50%.

The XL model of the SU700 that I looked at online was ~42lbs, while the NET models of the SU700 that I'm ordering are 29lbs.

Ryan

40dnewbie
93 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 12, 2010 08:28 |  #54

Sems like a great way to gain functionality and save a buck -- way to go.

1DMKIII, 5D mk III, 7D mk II, 70D, 50 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 85 1.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6L, 600EX II-RT, (2)580EX II, (2)430EX
www.photosbywalker.com (external link)

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2010 10:52 as a reply to  @ 40dnewbie's post |  #55

Now all we have to do is figure out how these things can handle D-Lite4/Genesis 400s. It'd be interesting if the inverters in these things were good enough quality that the bi-voltage strobes don't phase them.

Unfortunately I only have 2x D-Lite2s, and am planning on getting a 600S at some point, so I don't know if my setup will be taxing enough.

Ryan

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 12, 2010 13:47 |  #56

I have a smaller apc bk300c model.. I could not find what type of wave this unit produces.. Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

MJones
299 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 12, 2010 14:25 |  #57

Agamemnon wrote in post #9977341 (external link)
I ordered mine from ebay, seller is ExcessUPS:
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/excessups/ (external link)

Seller is in Canada, but looks like they actually ship from Buffalo, so shipping to the states should be about what you'd expect.

They're good to deal with, too, answered some questions I had about them.

I ordered it Friday, and I'll let you know when it arrives next week what it's like. I'm sure it's just like 43 North has been reporting though, I bought the same unit.

Hey Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

(I'm in Ott as well though :D )

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) 500px: http://500px.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) Website: www.photosbymartello.c​om (external link)

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2010 15:17 |  #58

yuriyo923 wrote in post #9980749 (external link)
I have a smaller apc bk300c model.. I could not find what type of wave this unit produces.. Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Likely not - the BK series is probably just the Back-UPS, rather than the Smart-UPS. None of the Back-UPS have Pure-sine inverters in them.

There are even some of the Smart-UPS that don't have pure-sine inverters in them - all of the cheaper ones with "CS" in the model number use modified sine inverters, and would not be suitable for powering strobes.

Just like using one of the car-starter battery packs to power them, could (And likely will) damage the strobes.

Ryan

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 14, 2010 15:04 as a reply to  @ Agamemnon's post |  #59

All right, while testing this thing out, I've fired both of my D-Lite2s at 5.0 (Full power), which has just shy of a 1s recycle time, and the UPS hasn't beeped at me yet.

I tried with both modeling lamps on (Firing at lower power, as well), and it didn't seem to complain.

Now I was mentioning earlier that I'm not able to test with D-Lite4 units, but does the increased power really count if the recycle times scale up, too? Double the power isn't double the power draw if it takes twice as long to do so.

Ryan

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 14, 2010 16:38 |  #60

If it works with the D-lites then it should work with the Genesis's as well yes? The new d-lites are fan cooled too are they not?

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

sponsored links

52,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
My homemade Vagabond setup. Check this out.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.