Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Apr 2010 (Monday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet Another Light Stand Question

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2010 11:09 |  #1

OK, here's the newest of my requirements for a light stand.

I work without an assistant a good deal of the time so I don't have anyone to hold a reflector or a translucent panel. If I want to use one I hold it with a Photoflex LiteDisc holder that is mounted to a light stand. This always works fine in the studio but never works outside because once a reflector or panel is setup it becomes a sail and the slightest wind wants to move it. The movement happens in two places.

The light stand riser rotates in its column regardless of how much I tighten or overtighten the hardware and if those risers aren't rotating then it's the actual holder mounted to the top of the stand.

I know that I could solve the problem by using two light stands but for smaller reflectors and panels that's a lot more gear to carry since each light stand will also require additional sandbags.

So what is the solution?

Perhaps a better quality light stand will hold rock solid and not allow the riser to move when tightened down, but what about a light stand with square tubing? They do it on the legs of some stands for greater strength so why not use it on the columns and risers?

There must be some grip or boom hardware that can be mounted to a stand and also be rock solid without the wind spinning it round, but if you've ever shot outside in a breeze, it can be relentless when it comes to lightstands, modifiers, etc.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
Dream ­ Merchant
425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 11:32 |  #2

There are some lightweight made in China stands with a central guide channel which subsequent sections ride in. I'm probably not describing this well, but in essence, the tubes will not rotate because of the guide channel. I have several of these stands which costed me less than US20 each, and are great for holding reflectors, flags and such. If you want photos Robert, let me know.

As for the actual holder, I would see if I can drill a small 1.5mm hole through the central portion of both the holder and stand section/err, portion that it's attached to, and insert a simple steel clip, much like a hand-grenade safety pin so the entire thing can't rotate.

Not the most elegant of solutions, but ultra cheap and doesn't require me carrying additional hardware.

Editing welcome :D

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 05, 2010 11:32 |  #3

hi robert, instead of buying and carrying more gear is there anyway you could use a simple tent peg a guide string to hold your sail in place?

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Dream ­ Merchant
425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 11:39 as a reply to  @ FJ LOVE's post |  #4

Bullclips, rope and tent pegs for both the stand and sail!

BRILLIANT suggestion FJ! bw!

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2010 11:41 |  #5

Dream Merchant wrote in post #9936643 (external link)
There are some lightweight made in China stands with a central guide channel which subsequent sections ride in. I'm probably not describing this well, but in essence, the tubes will not rotate because of the guide channel. I have several of these stands which costed me less than US20 each, and are great for holding reflectors, flags and such. If you want photos Robert, let me know.

As for the actual holder, I would see if I can drill a small 1.5mm hole through the central portion of both the holder and stand section/err, portion that it's attached to, and insert a simple steel clip, much like a hand-grenade safety pin so the entire thing can't rotate.

Not the most elegant of solutions, but ultra cheap and doesn't require me carrying additional hardware.

Thanks. Do you have a link to the light stands you have?
That may very well be a good solution.

Robert

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2010 11:42 |  #6

FJ LOVE wrote in post #9936646 (external link)
hi robert, instead of buying and carrying more gear is there anyway you could use a simple tent peg a guide string to hold your sail in place?

Dream Merchant wrote in post #9936693 (external link)
Bullclips, rope and tent pegs for both the stand and sail!

BRILLIANT suggestion FJ! bw!

It is an excellent suggestion and one I had thought of but it could present problems in terms of composition and framing if the rope is hanging vertically and would be in frame or force me to work around it.

Robert

Dream ­ Merchant
425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 11:52 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #7

What if you clip an 'A' shaped rope configuration the the back of the reflector and peg that to the ground?

I bought my stands from this place (Singapore), but you could check if any suppliers near you have the MIC stands with a central guide channel. http://store.tagotech.​com …8c8c20cf154256b​813a588e4d (external link)

Edit to add pix:

IMAGE: http://clprodn.smugmug.com/photos/828490925_jCBVS-M.jpg

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 05, 2010 12:06 |  #8

while i realized it might not be the best solution it's not often you ask for ideas and i figured it was my only chance to offer :D

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2010 13:47 |  #9

FJ LOVE wrote in post #9936894 (external link)
while i realized it might not be the best solution it's not often you ask for ideas and i figured it was my only chance to offer :D

I'm glad you made the suggestion. I do appreciate it but since I've obviously given this much thought I can visualize the potential problems ahead of time. :D

Robert

LeftCoastLefty
28 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 05, 2010 17:01 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 12, 2010 17:58 as a reply to  @ LeftCoastLefty's post |  #11

Well, I'm posting to this thread again because I was out shooting on another windy day and my stand was rotating. I now know that there's just no way to fight it no matter how hard I tighten down the hardware.

I really need to find a solution that either has a channel, groove or square tubing to prevent rotation.

The problem extends to anything I have on the stand that can be moved by wind. I know I could have used my 22" beauty dish but I wanted a much larger light source.

If anyone has any ideas or links I would appreciate it.

Robert

Jimmer411
Thank god Im green.
866 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2010 19:52 |  #12

Well if your on a budget you can just drill a hole and insert a bolt or pin. Might take a few depending on how many sections your stand has.

5D3 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX | YN-568EX II | YN-622c | YN-622-TX |
Selling Sigma 30mm 1.4

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 12, 2010 20:26 |  #13

Jimmer411 wrote in post #9982885 (external link)
Well if your on a budget you can just drill a hole and insert a bolt or pin. Might take a few depending on how many sections your stand has.

I'm not on a budget but drilling a hole and using a pin in the riser won't do anything. The riser rotates inside the section below so you would need to drill a hole every inch or so in each riser that sits inside the riser below. Not only would that be a pain in the ass but it would also compromise the strength and integrity of the risers and stand. If you drilled one hole then that limits you to that one height.

Robert

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 12, 2010 22:12 |  #14

Here is possibly a simple (and perhaps too clunky of an) idea. Poke a hole at the top and at the very bottom of the light stand and run a very thin cable through both. Make sure the cable is very long so that you can coil it many, many times around the light stand. If you coil it in the right direction, it will "self-tighten" and not let the top rotate further. If the wind was blowing the other direction, you would have to re-coil the cable the opposite direction to keep the top from rotating. As you raise it, you would have to use fewer wraps of the coil, and as you brought it down, you would need more to take up the slack in the cable.

This may all be more trouble than it it worth, but it seems to be a workable, adaptable solution.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

The_Terminator
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 12, 2010 22:33 |  #15

What I would do is to bring a full size grand piano (not a wimpy baby grand) and set it up next to the stand.
Affix the stand and the modifier to the piano with some lag bolts.
You might have better luck actually tilting the grand piano forward so the keys are touching the ground. That way, you can put several lag bolts through the whole setup to the top of the grand piano.

I'm not saying this is the easiest solution, but it'll work.

I only exist for your entertainment.

sponsored links

4,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet Another Light Stand Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.