Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Apr 2010 (Monday) 16:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leave photos on computer or external hard drive.

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2010 20:40 |  #16

Hi,

I have a Western Digital Mybook 750GB external drive that has ALL my photographs stored since 1st January 2008 - both JPEGs & RAW files. I retain all my current YEAR's photos on my laptop which has a 160gb h/drive. These files are also 'backed-up' to portable 64gb USB sticks for convenience. I am due to return home in Brazil next month when I then dump all the photos from either the laptop or the USB sticks to the WD Mybook. (The WD Mybook is configured to PC format). There are many storage options and solutions - the only real advice is to get an external backup device that can store at least 15-20 times your computer's hard-drive capacity. Ideally, go as large as you can, because the price per GB of storage is proportionately less. All the best...

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links
Mark_Mason
600 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 12, 2010 20:58 |  #17

I have a couple of matched WD 1TB drives that I keep that are redundant. I keep one on my desk and copy it to the other every other week or so. I keep the one that isn't being used at the time in my big assed gun safe.

-Mark.

Canon Stuff

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2010 21:15 |  #18

I learned recently that RAW files fill up your hard drive fast. I had to transfer all files to an external which is where I keep all photos now. I also use a seperate external hd for time machine on my mac. This is great for someone like me who doesn't always backup my work as often as I should.

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

The_Terminator
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 12, 2010 23:12 |  #19

I have all of my files on my main drive, but on a separate 'data' partition. I backup the drive to an external drive that sits on my desk whenever I add something new, i.e. create a new document, transfer new photos from my camera, do some work in LR or PS, etc.

This means that sometimes I run the backup program several times a day or every night or every other night. it depends on what I've done. This backup includes all of my data, emails, etc. It only takes seconds or minutes, as the backup program only transfers files that are new or altered since the last backup.

About once a month, I'll do a backup of the whole computer to another hard drive that resides in a different location.
Recently, I ended up with a spare 500GB drive, so now I make a third backup whenever it happens to capture my fancy, maybe once a month or so.

The trick with backups is to figure out a method that makes it EASY and brainless. If it isn't simple, then you won't do it.

I only exist for your entertainment.

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 13, 2010 00:44 |  #20

Mine are on a ReadyNAS Duo (2X Drives in RAID). It's not as fast as a connected drive; but then again, its better in a multi-computer household.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2010 01:03 |  #21

For me, it's Lightroom to "photo drive" that is on desktop.
I then backup RAW and JPEG to home server (seperate computer).
RAW is also backed up to external USB Seagate and USB WD.
I'm paranoid :(

In past, I also uploaded to Flickr. Today, am looking for other source for offsite storage, in case house accident.

geff33
61 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 13, 2010 05:40 |  #22

I am using a Macbook pro for editing the raw files and there is not much space on it. So I use an external USB drive to work on the files. I have also a duplicate back up files on two other external storage: a home made server running Windows Home Server and a Thecus NAS set for redundancy. With this setup I still feel a need to burn these pics on a blueray discs when these thing come down in price. Bottom line is backup, backup, backup.

Canon 5D Mark II and 1D Mark II : Canon 17-40 4L Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 135 2L, Canon 70-200 2.8L MII IS, Canon 35 1.4L(sold), Canon 400mm 5.6L , Canon 1.4 teleconverter, Gitzo 3541LS and RRS BH55 Canon 580 EXII and Canon 550 EX flash.

unevendistortion
37 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 13, 2010 05:57 |  #23

I got 2 copies of my files on 2 different internal hard drive and one external drive..
can never be too careful..

i'm now planning to get a second external drive..

- i like taking pictures but not showing it to anyone - go figure :)

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 13, 2010 08:13 as a reply to  @ unevendistortion's post |  #24

All my media and documents are on a separate internal hard drive. Both internal hard drives are automatically backed up to an external USB drive weekly using Norton Ghost. That drive goes with me in the event of a hurricane evacuation. My photos and selected other items are also backed up to a second external USB drive using Sync Toy.

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 13, 2010 08:40 |  #25

2 Internal Drives. One partitioned for programs on C and music/video on D. The 2nd 1TB internal is strictly for pictures. This gets backed up to a NAS box with 2 1TB drives installed on a weekly basis. I then have another external that I back-up to monthly that I keep off-site.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

flash69
315 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 13, 2010 10:33 |  #26

Here is my setup, keep in mind I am an IT person by trade.

My desktop has 2 drives in a RAID 1 mirror that contain the original copy of my pictures. Every morning at 4 AM my pictures and other files are copied to my Openfiler server that has 4 disks in a RAID 10 array. The software I use to copy the files is called SyncBackPro.

I am thinking about copying the files to an external disk as another level of protection.

Canon 7D w/BG-E7 grip
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
580EX

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2010 10:41 |  #27

Serrrrrverrrr.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2010 10:41 |  #28

Beachcomber Joe wrote in post #9985540 (external link)
All my media and documents are on a separate internal hard drive. Both internal hard drives are automatically backed up to an external USB drive weekly using Norton Ghost. That drive goes with me in the event of a hurricane evacuation. ........

The key is REDUNDANT BACK UP + OFF SITE STORAGE. When we had a 7.2 roller a week or so ago, the last thing on my mind were my photos. When things start shaking you are not looking for NAS or RAID 5 or USB HDD....combo to your gun safe....nothing matters. Maybe its just me but NOTHING photo related was on my mind.

But I do have off site storage of my redundant back up. A locked drawer at my desk at work. So if something had gone terribly wrong and it was time to pick up the pieces I know I would have pretty much all the pics till a week before the incident.

PS: If that 7.2 had hit any closer I don't think my office (my off site storage) would have survived along with my house...but I am pretty sure that my photos would be the last thing on my mind if that had happened. Assuming I was even around....

Like I keep saying, backup does not need to be expensive and complicated:

1) REDUNDANCY (two mirrored HDD). Use an eSATA dock and two external HDD and something cheap like SyncToy. Internal HDD are cheap and getting cheaper. SATA as an interface is not going to go away anytime soon. When they start selling 2TB SSD drives for $100 it will still be SATA.

2) OFF SITE STORAGE-your office, your wife's office, your grandma's house, a safety deposit box, a dry locker...any location that is far enough from your house but still convenient enough to swap out.

3) ENCRYPTION-If you are worried about theft then use TrueCrypt and encrypt it. Unless you are on the wrong side of the law, no agency is going to spend the time and resources to break a TrueCrypt encryption and its free.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

gembobs
215 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 13, 2010 12:19 |  #29

I have everything on my laptop and on a WD My Book World Edition external hard drive.

I use the supplied software, and it backs up automatically whenever I save something new or alter an exisiting document.

I will be buying a a portable hard drive for this summer, and may use that as an additional back up. Any important family photos / shots I don't want to lose, I put on my smugmug account.

Gear List
My Smugmug (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2010 12:35 |  #30

I have them on both. A secondary internal, as well as an external drive. Which reminds me I need to do the back up...

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,437 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leave photos on computer or external hard drive.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.