Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Might Look Around on Craigslist for a Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi Body..Any Precautions?

SnoopKatt
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2010 14:24 |  #1

In about a month or so, I'll be out to buy a Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi body used, as I'd like to get the most for my money. I'm probably going to take a look around Craigslist, and are there any precautions I should take to make sure I don't get scammed (besides some stolen cameras? Don't get me wrong, I'd never want to buy anything that was stolen, but I'm just saying I'm aware of that problem)? Are there any common problems with some of these EOS cameras that people may be able to pass off to make it look like the camera works?

Thanks for any help :)

sponsored links
alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2010 14:26 |  #2

wrong forum go to market watch section and you'll find some threads.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

SnoopKatt
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2010 14:36 |  #3

I saw some there, but I posted in the actual camera section because I was asking if there any common/uncommon malfunctions that EOS cameras might have. The reason why I asked is because I'm looking to buy one used.

sk8rdi16
163 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 14, 2010 15:32 |  #4

I've had mine for a few years with no problems at all. This thing hasn't even flinched. Hopefully in about a month or so I'll be looking to upgrade! Send me a PM when You're looking for one.

5Dii Gripped, 7D, T2i, 24-70 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 580ex ii, basic Strobist kit, Pocket Wizards
http://www.heidphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
http://www.pathphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 14, 2010 15:40 |  #5

I'm probably going to take a look around Craigslist

You are better off looking here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=14

Or here:
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/board/10 (external link)

I think you will have to register on FM before you can actually view the FS postings

Either way you can look at previous posts by any prospective seller & decide how much risk you would be taking on with a purchase. I don't think you can do that with CL

Just my $0.02

Kevin

Gear List

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2010 15:55 as a reply to  @ blueM's post |  #6

I bought my XTi on this board and got a smoking deal on it- around 3500 clicks and it looked new. People here value their reputation, so I would trust the long time members here a lot more than a stranger on Craigslist.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 14, 2010 16:28 |  #7

I"d much sooner buy from here or Fred Miranda than Craiglist or ebay.

or you could try KEH, Adorama, or possibly B&H.

50D, XTI, gripped
28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sears 135mm 2.8
430 EX, other accessories

SnoopKatt
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 15, 2010 00:55 |  #8

Cool! Yeah sk8rdi16, I added you to my buddy list. I'll contact you when it's time to get one :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it!

sicklyscott
62 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2010 09:53 |  #9

Not sure how much I can add to this thread but I've had my XT for about 4 years and haven't had one single problem with it. It has been an amazing camera and truthfully the battery life really surprised me. It was also my first SLR and it was great to learn on.

Not to hi-jack this thread but mine is available for purchase if you'd like to chat.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 15, 2010 10:02 |  #10

I'd skip the xt in favor of the xti. It was a big improvement. I think if you look around you will find that there is a lot of compression on the bottom end of the market. By that I mean, 10D's 20D's 300D's xt, xti's all sort of reach a bottom layer where they all seem to be going for about the same price. Its like the entry point for a dslr is around $250 or so, and it doesnt matter which you pick. I'm not sure your budget, but the 30D is a great value, certainly equal to the xti and about the same money.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 15, 2010 10:06 |  #11

photomom2one wrote in post #9995544 (external link)
I"d much sooner buy from here or Fred Miranda than Craiglist or ebay.

or you could try KEH, Adorama, or possibly B&H.

craigslist offers are always over-priced, check here and FM for a better market indication

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 15, 2010 10:32 |  #12

watt100 wrote in post #9999927 (external link)
craigslist offers are always over-priced, check here and FM for a better market indication

Not always true. Yesterday our local craigslist had 2 L lenses cheaper than they list here. It all depends on your market.

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 15, 2010 11:15 |  #13

Don't invite strangers to your home.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2010 11:28 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Meet at a starbucks. Take a lens and check out the camera. Ask some pointed questions about the camera and if everything is good, buy it. Personally, with CL you get to actually try out the camera whereas with any forum boards, you need to take the sellers word for it's condition.

I've seen many ads much cheaper on CL than other forums. Just take your time and a deal will show up.

LaaG
32 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 15, 2010 12:15 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #15

The 350d / XT is my fist DSLR. After reading up on it before I found one 2nd hand, and been owning one for a couple of months now, here are some things to check:

1) The sensor filter. The 350D does not have a self cleaning sensor and if the seller has tried it clean it himself/herself, it may be scratched, etc and would be hard to tell if it affects the pictures from the tiny LCD screen.

2) Make sure the flash pops up. Quite alot of 350D I seen listed wouldnt have a working flash, probably a sign it was dropped often.

3) Make sure the pins in the CF slot are straight. The camera will be able to take pictures without a CF card inside, but once you stick a CF card in a camera with a bent / missing pin, it will refuse to take any pictures.

Thats pretty much it. And between the 350D and the 400D, I couldn't justify the extra money for the little improvements of the 400D. You might also consider the 20D, found out I could of got the 20D for cheaper a few weeks after I bought the 350d. :cry:

sponsored links

4,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Might Look Around on Craigslist for a Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi Body..Any Precautions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.