Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5 Budget lenses to get?

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2010 18:36 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Then later you can upgrade the zoom lens, and get an ultra-wide or upgrade telephoto. Remember: you can always sell your lens here or trade. As you save some more $$, you can then put more and upgrade. This forum is addicting, and already made me spend more than I thought I would :)

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links
jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 18:40 |  #32

Really Budget:

18-55 is (it's not great but it's really really sufficient, awesome value)
55-250 is (same thing, sharp enough for a beginner, great value, good shots, IS)
50/1.8 (check out the thread in the lens sample archives - great shots to be had)

When you're ready:
35/2. Buzzy, cheap feeling, but sharp, and fairly quick with the AF
Sigma 30mm (used)
85mm 1.8 (used)
Tamron 17-50mm
Canon 50mm 1.4 (I have this, it's decent, not the greatest, I'd rather take the 35/2 and/or 85mm and ignore this FL)
28-135mm A bit long, not wide, but decent, has IS

Those are the lenses I have used/familiar with.

imsilly2
233 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 14, 2010 18:43 |  #33

It's outside the range but when I bought my 30D a year ago, I bought a 18-200 IS to go with it. As it was my first (d)slr, and I wasn't sure what my comfort range was. Picked up a 50 1.8 about 3 months later. A year later, I found my sweet spot when I added the Tammy 28-75. Personally the 18-55mm, even on a crop, bugs me when I'm zooming, but had forgotten how much so until after I bought the Tammy 17-50.

Added the 85 1.8 at the same time as the Tammy, but thinking it might be too long on a crop, for my taste.

Don't blame the gear, it only does what I tell it to. :D

jaredw
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 14, 2010 20:10 as a reply to  @ imsilly2's post |  #34

Do you have a link to the tubes by chance? Dose B&H sell em?

shagaholik
478 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 14, 2010 21:03 |  #35

jaredw wrote in post #9996677 (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …o_Extension_Tub​e_Set.html (external link)

B&H sells for $169

[Feedback]

Tcon
169 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 14, 2010 21:30 |  #36

..or you can ebay them for $10 bucks and play with them to see if you would want to spend the money on a "real" set: Ebay Extension Tubes (external link)

http://www.renekohut.c​om (external link)

Siriusmuzik
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 14, 2010 22:06 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

Personally, I would get 1 Tamron 17-50mm to start off with. Excellent lens.

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

Young_Werther
139 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2010 22:08 |  #38

If it was me I would go with less but better glass.

24-70 2.8 L USM
50 1.8

Those would be the two that I consider almost must owns.

Canon 50D, 50 1.8, 135L 2.0
B800 X 2, B1600, 580ex II, Vagabond.

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 14, 2010 23:05 |  #39

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX - can be had for well under $300 and is a top performer.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2010 02:45 |  #40

jaredw wrote in post #9996677 (external link)

yeah, B&H does, I would get them off of ebay though, but I wouldn't bother with the really cheap ones, they don't have any electical contacts, so stopping down is more of a trick than it needs to be...the kenkos are still cheap $120 or so...they'll autofocus, and you can change the aperture on the lens

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

kinubic
111 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 15, 2010 04:08 |  #41

this thread was something very helpful to me. since i just got my xs+ kit lens been looking what lenses to get. im more into taking pics of plants,birds insects. so i assume a good macro lens to get.

EF-S 18-55 IS already have with kit
EF-S 55-250 IS getting this soon end of the month
EF 50mm 1.8 II

for macro im looking for one that has a good zoom to it. so i guess starting with the EF50mm 1.8 II is good then what would be best to move to after the 50mm?

Flickr (external link)
50mm f1.8/55-250mm IS

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2010 15:17 |  #42

kinubic wrote in post #9998613 (external link)
this thread was something very helpful to me. since i just got my xs+ kit lens been looking what lenses to get. im more into taking pics of plants,birds insects. so i assume a good macro lens to get.

EF-S 18-55 IS already have with kit
EF-S 55-250 IS getting this soon end of the month
EF 50mm 1.8 II

for macro im looking for one that has a good zoom to it. so i guess starting with the EF50mm 1.8 II is good then what would be best to move to after the 50mm?

The 50/1.8 is a great cheap lens but I am not using mine, since the portraits it produces are about on par with Tamron 17-50, and the 1.8 vs 2.8 isn't all that much of difference. I keep it as a backup or for low light situations where fixed 50 isn't goint to hinder me (e.g. a portrait shoot).

This is a great lens to have if you already have it, or if a spare $90 or so isn't a big deal.

Going back to the OP's question - I think all answers were right on i.e. get 18-55 IS (supposedly a very good lens compared to the old non-IS kit) and 55-250 IS, skip 50/1.8 unless you feel that you do need it. Save for a better lens down the road when you know what you need, or better else for an external flash that is a must have in my opinion, if you're doing any kind of portrait work inside.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 15, 2010 15:21 |  #43

Rivest wrote in post #9995052 (external link)
Not sure why you would like five. 5*300= 1500$ At that money, I'd go with two with better quality ;)

That's what I was thinking. It seems like one could take much better images with one good quality lens than what one could take with a bunch of junk. What's the point of having all the focal lengths covered if you're covering them with average/poor glass?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,273 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 15, 2010 15:32 |  #44

Quite a normal mistake...

IMO, it is a mistake to spread your money thinly among a group of several lenses.

I believe the best method of selecting lenses is to begin with the best and most versatile medium range zoom lens you can afford and are willing to purchase.

Use this lens for a while and get the feel if you need a wider or a longer lens for your next purchase.

Some very-good to excellent and versatile medium range zoom lenses are:

1. 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron: this might be a bit tight on the wide side if you are shooting with a 1.5x camera but, matches up very well with the relatively inexpensive 12-24mm f/4 Tokina or the more expensive 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina.

2. 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron: preferably the VC version which is more expensive but, also more versatile than the non-VC model.

3. 24-70mm f/2.8L and 24-105mm f/4L IS lenses: these both are better suited for full frame cameras but, each will match up well with an 11-16mm f/2.8 or 12-24mm f/4 Tokina. Both of these lenses are quite expensive but are top quality.

4. 17-55mm f/2.8 IS: This is arguably the best medium range lens for a 1.5x camera and matches up well with the 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina and the 70-200mm f/2L IS lenses. Again, these lenses are expensive but are great quality.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 15, 2010 15:43 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #45

I paid under $300 for my Canon EF 28-105. The rare one too .. the "Made in Japan" version with the word "MACRO" in the distance window, and thus the 7-blade aperture.
This is the very highly regarded and sought after version of this lens. Awesome for everything from portraits to walk-around ..

sponsored links

6,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
5 Budget lenses to get?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.