Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique my wanting a 7D

TCShadow
120 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2010 00:12 |  #1

Hi All,

We're a 1 camera household at the moment and my other half gets upset at me for hogging the 40D which she wants to take photos of our 8 month old. I go out and take pictures of other stuff...

Anyways...

I wouldn't mind buying a second body so we no longer have the problem and my undertsanding of the main differences between the 40D and 7D are as follows:

2x DigicIV as opposed to 1x Digic 3
Higher MP
Significantly better ISO performance
1.5 fps faster
remote triger flash off the camera.

Am I right in all these points? They are my main justification in going for the 7d as opposed to a 5dmkII. Well that and the price.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D + Grip
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS| Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | Canon 15-85mm IS |Canon 17-85mm IS | 580 EX II | Panasonic HDC-HS200

sponsored links
emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 15, 2010 00:16 |  #2

Why would you want a 5D mark II? Portraits, studio work, landscapes? If you don't know why you would NEED (not want) a full-framed camera, then you would be better off with the 7D.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

Ken ­ Nielsen
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 15, 2010 00:20 |  #3

emtp563 is right with questioning what your intended use is.

Need more information in that direction please.

Supra_t
515 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 15, 2010 00:21 |  #4

High res. Screen, bigger view finder, HD video, build quality, metering and focus systems.....the list goes on.

James Cause Photography
[Flickr (external link)] [LIke me on facebook (external link)]

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 15, 2010 00:24 |  #5

TCShadow wrote in post #9997905 (external link)
Hi All,

We're a 1 camera household at the moment and my other half gets upset at me for hogging the 40D which she wants to take photos of our 8 month old. I go out and take pictures of other stuff...

Anyways...

I wouldn't mind buying a second body so we no longer have the problem and my undertsanding of the main differences between the 40D and 7D are as follows:

2x DigicIV as opposed to 1x Digic 3
Higher MP
1.5 fps faster
remote triger flash off the camera.

Am I right in all these points? They are my main justification in going for the 7d as opposed to a 5dmkII. Well that and the price.

Your list is correct but you forgot some (one of the biggest)...

Professional Level Autofocus System
Better LCD
Extremely Good HD Video Capability
LCD Viewfinder Overlay
Electronic Level
Weather Resistance
Microadjust
Better Metering
100% View Finder
Customer Power Output of Built In Flash
... am I missing anything?

The 7D is priced amazingly well for all it does, great camera at a great price!

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Siriusmuzik
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2010 00:31 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I've had it all ...

Rebel XTI, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 1D mark II, 5D, and now the 7D, and the 7D completely dominates every single one of them. This camera is completely flawless. I love it!

p.s.

okay, not all, but enough!

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 15, 2010 00:37 |  #7

Siriusmuzik wrote in post #9997981 (external link)
I've had it all ...

Rebel XTI, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 1D mark II, 5D, and now the 7D, and the 7D completely dominates every single one of them. This camera is completely flawless. I love it!

p.s.

okay, not all, but enough!

Too bad you didn't own the 1D Mark III. I'd like to know your opinion of the Mark III vs. the 7D.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 15, 2010 00:38 |  #8

TCShadow wrote in post #9997905 (external link)

I have both the 40D and the 7D, the ISO performance really isn't that much better. I'd say maybe 2/3 stop better, during typical usage I try to stay at or below ISO 1600 on the 40D while on the 7D I'll try to do about the same but will use ISO 3200 when I'm in desperate need of light. Don't expect miracles out of it, but it is better. (I have gotten usable ISO 6400 shots before, but you really have to nail the exposure for that.)

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

scsurfdad
315 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 15, 2010 00:52 |  #9

I have both and will add that for you the 7D will work well for HD video of your baby. I will also add that you will probably start fighting over who gets the 7D :).

Mike
Sony A7R III

TCShadow
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2010 00:56 |  #10

emtp563 wrote in post #9997918 (external link)
Why would you want a 5D mark II? Portraits, studio work, landscapes? If you don't know why you would NEED (not want) a full-framed camera, then you would be better off with the 7D.

The only reason I'd get the 5D2 would be for shooting portraits/landscapes and parties/events.

Ultimately I mainly shoot sports though which is why I'm leaning toward the 7D because as someone else mentioned it is unbelievably well priced for what it is and covers all of the reasons I'd want the 5d2 well enough. Sure I'd love for the 7D to some with a full size sensor but It's not ultimately necessary. I was thinking of getting the 15-85 kit so I have a walkaround lens for both bodies and then also buying a wide angle at some stage when I recover financially to round off my collection.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D + Grip
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS| Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | Canon 15-85mm IS |Canon 17-85mm IS | 580 EX II | Panasonic HDC-HS200

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 15, 2010 11:32 |  #11

That_Fox wrote in post #9998007 (external link)
I have both the 40D and the 7D, the ISO performance really isn't that much better. I'd say maybe 2/3 stop better, during typical usage I try to stay at or below ISO 1600 on the 40D while on the 7D I'll try to do about the same but will use ISO 3200 when I'm in desperate need of light. Don't expect miracles out of it, but it is better. (I have gotten usable ISO 6400 shots before, but you really have to nail the exposure for that.)

I think the consensus has been right about 1 stop, if not a bit better, starting at ISO 3200 (which is where the 40D stops) and up. I have shot at ISO 6400 with the 40D pretty often (Raw/EC-1/+1 manipulation), and the differences are very noticeable between the two.

Here is a shot at a high ISO that the 40D would have never captured this cleanly. Sure it was post processed, but I did so many high ISO tests with my previous 40Ds (had 3 or so) with the same post processing actions, and I know from experience it would not have handled the shot this well. At this point, most of the detail after noise reduction would have been completely muddied on the 40D. I will say that the low ISO of the 40D is on par or better, due to what Canon did to the 7D to wring higher ISO performance out of it. They definitely took away a bit of the low ISO luster to add to the high ISO performance, or at least I am in agreement with others on that regard.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/CRCC-Nails-of-Hope-2010/IMG1403/831888553_BdsZp-XL.jpg

Gallery Link (external link) - 200+ pics all at ISO 6400 or 12800
Another Gallery Link (external link) - all ISO 6400 I believe, it's been a while

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 15, 2010 12:36 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10000397 (external link)
I think the consensus has been right about 1 stop, if not a bit better, starting at ISO 3200 (which is where the 40D stops) and up. I have shot at ISO 6400 with the 40D pretty often (Raw/EC-1/+1 manipulation), and the differences are very noticeable between the two.

Here is a shot at a high ISO that the 40D would have never captured this cleanly. Sure it was post processed, but I did so many high ISO tests with my previous 40Ds (had 3 or so) with the same post processing actions, and I know from experience it would not have handled the shot this well. At this point, most of the detail after noise reduction would have been completely muddied on the 40D. I will say that the low ISO of the 40D is on par or better, due to what Canon did to the 7D to wring higher ISO performance out of it. They definitely took away a bit of the low ISO luster to add to the high ISO performance, or at least I am in agreement with others on that regard.

Gallery Link (external link) - 200+ pics all at ISO 6400 or 12800
Another Gallery Link (external link) - all ISO 6400 I believe, it's been a while

You are free to disagree with my as much as you want. But at the higher ISOs the 7D just loses too much detail for me to consider it usable. ISO 800 for both the 40D and 7D is the highest ISO that still retains excellent detail, at ISO 1600 there is a noticeable drop in detail and at ISO 3200 the 40D is unusable for me while the 7D still retains enough detail to be passable. These are all my opinions of course, they aren't based on tests, they are based on what I've experienced in the field.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 15, 2010 12:40 |  #13

That_Fox wrote in post #10000817 (external link)
You are free to disagree with my as much as you want. But at the higher ISOs the 7D just loses too much detail for me to consider it usable. ISO 800 for both the 40D and 7D is the highest ISO that still retains excellent detail, at ISO 1600 there is a noticeable drop in detail and at ISO 3200 the 40D is unusable for me while the 7D still retains enough detail to be passable. These are all my opinions of course, they aren't based on tests, they are based on what I've experienced in the field.

It would be desirable to see some shots exemplifying that noticeable detail loss.

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 15, 2010 14:12 |  #14

That_Fox wrote in post #10000817 (external link)

Well I have backed my claim with the gallery links, and the photo I put in my post above is actually at ISO 12800. I still see clothing textures at print sizes. :) As you can see, my claims are also based on real life experience and not just tests. Granted, I used my self-developed high ISO action on the image to help clean it up, but the end result is all that matters to me.

The great thing is that everyone's standards aren't the same, so the OP should decide based on actual image results from different members than just worded opinions. In this case, the adage of "a picture is worth a thousand words" holds very true.

I understand that some people's business requires more critical analysis of the end results, so I just provided my examples as a less critical perspective of the 7D's performance. I definitely respect your view of what is acceptable for you, and having these two opposite views with examples can do nothing more but to help TCShadow's decision one way or another.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 14:23 |  #15

emtp563 wrote in post #9997999 (external link)
Too bad you didn't own the 1D Mark III. I'd like to know your opinion of the Mark III vs. the 7D.

The 7D beats the Mark III in a few categories such as screen, viewfinder overlay, HD video, etc. But overall, the Mark III is still the camera I would choose when they go head to head instead of complimenting each other.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

4,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique my wanting a 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.