Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 15:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My retro L-series pick-up!! + My personal intro thread to the forums as well!

TWOLITREmedia
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 15:32 |  #1

The intro: (Skip this if you don't care much about who I am but more of what I found, I will not be offended! Hahaha)

Alright so I have been cruising around the forums the past week or so for the first time and have taken a great liking to the mature atmosphere. Quite the contrast to a lot of the automotive forums I am primarily on, and it's a welcomed change. I'm 22 years old and have been shooting since I was 15, I currently reside in Kingston, Ontario, Canada....approximatel​y half way in between Montreal and Toronto for those not as familiar with Canadian Geography ;-)a. I started out by shooting with my Pentax 35mm B&W through a highschool program and grew fond of processing my own prints and learning the general mechanics of how to shoot camera. I advanced in the courses quickly, and took all the courses that were offered in highschool and I came to a point where I wasn't sure what would come next so I took a hiatus for a couple years to pursue other interests and prepare for post-secondary education.

A couple years down the road I ended up picking up a Nikon D70 around the same time I began heavily being involved with modifying import vehicles as many of the kids my age were not even driving yet. It became much more than just a faze of my life I could quickly tell and grew into a passion. At the same time, I grew fond of documenting all the progress on my car on the D70 and really got back into photography at the same time. This is where things got more interesting, I was 19 and it was time finally to leave for University in Ottawa. While my time spent in Ottawa, I met an entire different culture of people just like me revolving the majority of their lives around these cars and the niche that goes along with it. I began casually shooting friends cars for them here and there and it just grew from there. Once my reach had spread to getting involved in the car culture in Toronto is when I was really able to begin trying to make a name for myself somewhat as at least a capable photographer in the scene under the alias of TWOLITREmedia which has become my "portfolio" or company name if you will.

)Here is a quick video I made for an assignment in school with my 7D actually. It gives a good insight of how I feel about my passions and tells a lot of the same stuff as I just explained except with some visuals to back it up. Now please don't be to critical as I am a complete n00b when it comes to video still and this was my first attempt at what could even merely be considered a "Rough Edit" in iMovie on my Macbook.)

http://vimeo.com/15445​924 (external link)

I have now been involved with a stretch of different groups of people from Toronto to Ottawa doing some paid work here and there for more professional level jobs. I ended up moving back from Ottawa to Kingston again to pursue a different career route in Grahic Design where I feel my skills as a photographer would be a great advantage. Not to mention I enjoy the course 10,000% more then my Commerce program...imagine that...duhhh

A year back when I had my first paid gig I went out and upgraded myself to a Canon 7D when it was still fresh on the market as I didn't feel my D70 was worthy of actually charging anyone for the picture quality I was producing. Although the images were still decent, the camera itself was missing a lot of IQ that I could make use of, and the 1.5" LCD screen was no longer manageable. I regret not jumping to the 5D MKII now, but I still am in love with my 7D, and still to this day learn new functions and features all the time as I was previously shooting Nikon it was quite the adjustment jumping to a much more advanced body, let alone to CANON! A choice I will never regret is the switch from Nikon!

.......enough of the banter and life story about myself, I just figured I would give some background before just looking like a troll all over the forums haha, as I am sure there is a lot of around here.

So the reason why I'm sure 99% of you clicked on this post! What did I buy you ask?....

Well if you were following the "What is the best deal on a lens you have ever purchased thread." you may have seen it already. I stumbled upon a relic, the Canon 20-35mm F2.8L. This lens dates back production wise I believe almost 15-20 years ago!!! This particular copy was purchased almost exactly 10 years ago by my photography instructor in my graphic design program. I was speaking with him the other day about purchasing new lenses to slowly phase out the surprisingly dynamic and useful 18-135mm F4-5.6 kit lens I had been using this entire time. He suddenly had an epiphany and started rambling about some old piece of glass he had laying around from when he was shooting Canon (He now shoots with a Nikon D1 I believe.) At first I had figure it would be some garbage lens, and if not junky in quality then junky in condition. He further explain that he thought it was a 20-35mm F2.8L which to me was confusing as I have only been learning about Canon for a year, and I am fairly young (This lens is almost as old as me!) so I quickly had no idea how I had never heard about this lens. Even with no knowledge about the lens just hearing the F2.8L was enough to keep me interested so I asked how much he wanted for it. He said "Well I really have to look around for it and make sure I still have it, but either way I will let it go for $300" I quickly heard the price and was not as excited about what was potentially going to be brought to me, but I told him to bring it in anyways the next day.

So I went home and quickly began doing some research on the lens. Some of the cheapest copies I could find ANYWHERE were around 500$ US, which even that was hard to find. A lot of them are going for around 600 euros, so I was excited once again....then I looked at the condition of some of these sales. Broken auto focus, scratched glass, all kinds of things wrong....so I figured his would be similar. Through more research I heard that the older non USM focus motors had a tendency of crapping if they were constructed between certain production dates.

I went into school the next day having no idea what to expect, or if the lens would give me the seemingly familiar error code that people were talking about on the net once I would throw it on my 7D......well below is what was presented to me. (Please don't mind the low quality images of the equipment, I was in a huge rush to get them and I had my second 430 lent out, hence the shadows....like the retro bed sheet I used? I figured it was suiting for the age of the lens...haha)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

....I was astounded at what I took out of the ORIGINAL box. (I was expecting this lens in like a tattered plastic bag or something hahaha)......With all kinds of anticipation now seeing he had original packaging, I opened the box.

What the hell is this thing that looks like the armored casing for plutonium transportation in WWII??? WOW, before I even opened the case, I just marveled for a second. I had never seen a lens come with a case, let alone a seemingly bulletproof leather wrapped, velvet lined masterpiece. I pulled the case out and popped open the button style closing clasp it had which was amazingly stiff and new feeling for something this old. Like a 5 year old child at this point (I'm sure my professor had a good laugh watching me experience this) I pulled the lens out......My jaw hit the desk instantly in amazement at the condition of the lens. All I could mutter out of my mouth to him was,".....wow, you weren't kidding when you said it should be "mint"" Such a commonly overused statement now a days when posting things for sale. "Mint" was virtually an understatement in this situation. The build quality of this lens is almost unparalleled to anything else I had held with the exception of a few. (Yes I have played with all the big dog lenses, I spend a lot of time at Henry's wasting the poor employees time to let me try gear out hehe) Quite a heavy construction, but it's one of my favorite things about the lens.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Final test.....how does it work you ask??
As I pulled off my 18-135mm in anticipation of putting the 20-35mm and being horribly crushed by an error I was almost shaking. Everything about this lens was flawless, the elements were all clean, and there was not a spec of paint missing anywhere. On top of that it even still had the lens hood which I'm sure would have been a hassle to replace. The only thing it did not have was a filter so on the way home I drove straight to Henry's and purchased a 72mm B + W (0 UV) F-Pro Haze filter for protection (Yes I am one of the people that will argue to the death that protective filters are essential on good quality glass if you buy GOOD filters) Not even a sign of discoloration on any of the writing. I clicked the familiar "On" button of my 7D, and to my satisfaction everything booted up as expected.

I began shooting with the lens around my classroom and instantly I was ecstatic about the purchase. The autofocus was impressively fast, and the IQ was quite good as well. The motor was slightly louder than any newer USM motors, but it almost added to the whole retro experience when using this lens. The autofocus switch is quite different then the much more understated ones on any of the new levels, it has a certain bit of depth to the switch itself. I gleefully handed my teacher the $300.00 with the biggest **** eating grin on my face, happily packed up my gear, and walk out of the school towards my car.

Now I realize there's probably a million and one people with this lens on this forum, I'm sure Gasrocks has like 10 of them(Your collection is stifling to say the least) , but it was a special purchase for me as it is my first "professional" piece of glass I have ever owned, and what a piece of glass it is! At this price I would have been happy with a lot less and I'm sure most of you will agree.

I had an hour to get out and shoot the next day and I grabbed a couple of captures I was happy with. I decided to post three that somewhat shows a bit of the versatility of the lens. The funny thing is that much to my surprise this lens really shines at 35mm on my 7D (1.6x crop I believe) making it almost a 50-55mm I think? (Correct me if I'm wrong), and the color reproduction and sharpness is amazing!

I am still learning how to really make proper use of the constant 2.8 in low lighting (I am not used to having this as an option) and really finding the sweet spot of this lenses F-stop range.

Hope you like the images! Feel free to check out my FlickR link below in my sig, you will see my work is almost 90% automotive based for the time being, but I expect to expand that quite vastly within the next year or so. This includes getting into wedding photography, product photography, really anything that could benefit my career as a Graphic Designer.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

There was a minimal amount of processing done with this image, just a bit of sharpening and levels correction. It was one of those beautiful sunny days and it was hard to shoot where I was while not having all kinds of flare distraction in the image but I think one of the best qualities of this lens is the way it has this distinctive way to softens harsh light. I cloned out the small amount of lens flare in the image but other than that it was great.

Here is the image unprocessed ,just resized a bit below straight from the camera to grasp an idea of how it shoots.
This was shot @ 30mm F5.6 2500/1 at 100 iso.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Anywayssssssss, I just want to say I am very happy to be on the forums and look forward to gaining even a fraction of the vasts amounts of knowledge provided by the members on here. I hope my welcome is taken well, and I will try not to be to much of a nuisance around here ;)

I will post more edits of a couple of other shots I grabbed while I was out, I have been swamped with school work and have been fighting the urge to dedicated more time to going out and shoot right now! Like I said before if your interested in checking out any of my other work just jump on the link to my Flick (external link)R and see what you think about all that. I am far from a professional photographer, and don't plan on claiming to be one any time soon, but I do what I can with the tools that are available to me, and I am always looking for ways to improve my shooting!

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

sponsored links
m.c.chavez
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2011 15:34 |  #2

dude, thats AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE..

Filters are like Condoms ... Protection at loss of some quality.

jvk
407 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2011 15:36 |  #3

Nice picture too, I love my retro 80-200 2.8L. Retro L's are awsome.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Camera: Canon EOS 7D / Nikon Coolpix A / Hasselblad xpan
Lenses: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM / Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM / Canon EF 80-200 f/2.8L / Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L USM
flickr (external link)

ShockFactor03
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2011 15:43 |  #4

Awesome story! Congratulations to a remarkable purchase!

I'll give you $5.00 for it?

Gear

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 15:46 |  #5

ShockFactor03 wrote in post #11835890 (external link)
Awesome story! Congratulations to a remarkable purchase!

I'll give you $5.00 for it?

bw!
Haha, I know right? How greedy can I get now on future purchases ?????????

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

ShockFactor03
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2011 15:55 |  #6

I think I'm gonna log off and check my local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores to see if I can get lucky.

Gear

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2011 16:06 |  #7

I am glad you came up with a good one at a reasonable price. I had a chance at an "abandoned" 20-35mm, and an 80-200mm. Unfortunately, both lenses exhibited smearing on both the left and right 1/3 of the frame, at all apertures, so I figure the guy(s) that used to use them dropped both of them at some point, causing the elements to be de-centered. As I did not want to get involved paying a repair bill at Midstate Camera Repair (I assume they could fix both of these) for a 20 year old lens, I took a pass on both.

Again, glad you found one that works correctly:)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

Nanboh
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 13, 2011 16:21 |  #8

I LOVE the case it came with! Nice story and hope you enjoy it for a long time!

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 16:26 |  #9

anscochrome wrote in post #11836033 (external link)
I am glad you came up with a good one at a reasonable price. I had a chance at an "abandoned" 20-35mm, and an 80-200mm. Unfortunately, both lenses exhibited smearing on both the left and right 1/3 of the frame, at all apertures, so I figure the guy(s) that used to use them dropped both of them at some point, causing the elements to be de-centered. As I did not want to get involved paying a repair bill at Midstate Camera Repair (I assume they could fix both of these) for a 20 year old lens, I took a pass on both.

Again, glad you found one that works correctly:)

Yes I was quite concerned with what was going to be the product of a $300 purchase of any proffesional glass, but I think I mainly lucked out because My prof had only used the lens for about 5 years, and within those 5 years only a handful of times before switching to Nikon. The box had been collecting dust ever since.

Nanboh wrote in post #11836136 (external link)
I LOVE the case it came with! Nice story and hope you enjoy it for a long time!

Haha yes the case is one of my favorite things about this deal I got! When will you EVER see anything of that quality be offered for FREE anymore, even further more through Canon lol.

Logan7
303 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 13, 2011 17:03 as a reply to  @ TWOLITREmedia's post |  #10

Man, you must have spent a couple hours putting that post together :lol:

5Dc - Sigmalux - Canon 100mm F2

k9trainer
386 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 13, 2011 17:13 |  #11

Wow that was a good story post, I'm very jealous, Congratulations on a fantastic find.

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 13, 2011 17:19 |  #12

Great intro and welcome to everyones favorite forum "BUT" it took like forever to read as I had to scroll sideways by about half a page.Please Please try keep interesting stories within the realms of us mere mortals with square monitors. (NON WIDESCREEN)
Going to camp out at the local charity shops tonite :D.

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 18:19 |  #13

Logan7 wrote in post #11836360 (external link)
Man, you must have spent a couple hours putting that post together :lol:

Hahaha, yes I am quite thorough in my ways. I made sure to give people an option to just skip to the meat and potatoes of the post, the actual lens!

k9trainer wrote in post #11836412 (external link)
Wow that was a good story post, I'm very jealous, Congratulations on a fantastic find.

Thank you, as I use it more, it makes me more and more happy!

butugly wrote in post #11836440 (external link)
Great intro and welcome to everyones favorite forum "BUT" it took like forever to read as I had to scroll sideways by about half a page.Please Please try keep interesting stories within the realms of us mere mortals with square monitors. (NON WIDESCREEN)
Going to camp out at the local charity shops tonite :D.

I do apologize about the peramiters of my type, I am inconsiderate I suppose to non-ws monitors as I am on a 24" 10:9 1080 screen or my 15.6" widescreen Macbook pro.
I will try to keep this into consideration next time, as I find a lot of my posts to be very text heavy!

Thanks for the kind words as well!

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 20:40 |  #14

A couple more quick photos I've taken with the lens since getting it on Friday.

A random flower in my house, horrible composition I know but I liked the colour reproduction.
Shot @ 30mm - F2.8 - 1/100th - ISO800

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img18.imageshac​k.us/img18/1051/img763​0x.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

A view from the GF apartment balcony. This shot really shows how sharp this lens is in the F4 area, not sure why I wasn't at the 20mm spectrum for this but still turned out nicely.
Shot @35mm - F4.5 - 1/500th - ISO125
IMAGE: http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/677/img7840.jpg

My girlfriend medicating her kid haha
Shot @20mm F2.8 - 1/60th - ISO1000
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img812.imagesha​ck.us/img812/5401/img7​782d.jpg

One last one of a random ceiling lamp in my house. As mentioned before one of my faveorite things about this lens is its ability to soften harsh light, even when shooting directly into it, lol. Not the best shot, but interesting none the less.
Shot @20mm - F2.8 - 1/125th - ISO250
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img266.imagesha​ck.us/img266/6094/img7​641p.jpg

Hope you guys like em. I'll post much better ones once I get to shoot more.

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2011 21:16 |  #15

Here are a couple more from the day I shot outside for an hour, again I'm sure I could do better but for the first time out I'm very pleased.

Shot @ 35mm - F4.5 - 1/3200th - ISO125

x
TOO LARGE!
http://img827.imagesha​ck.us/img827/5937/img7​864l.jpg

Shot @ 20mm - F5.6 - 1/4000th - ISO250(Not sure why??)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | Byte size: ZERO

Shot @ 20mm - F2.8 - 1/8000th - ISO125
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img140.imagesha​ck.us/img140/2927/img7​893.jpg

sponsored links

5,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
My retro L-series pick-up!! + My personal intro thread to the forums as well!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.