Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Stores Taking Note of Your Serial Number?

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2011 21:16 |  #1

A good friend of mine recently got a copy of the Sigma 30mm 1.4 from Abe's of Maine on sale. He had a horrible experience with them, but disregarded it since it was a good deal. He ends up with a copy with crazy back focus! Now, he just placed an order on another one from B&H. Apparently he doesn't want to deal with recalibration nor Abe's. :confused:

He tells me that he's going to send B&H the copy he got from Abe's of Maine if the second copy turns out good. I started telling him that I assume B&H would mark down the serial number for that specific copy of the lens! He wouldn't believe me! Is that true guys?

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2011 21:18 |  #2

Even if they don't keep track of serial numbers this is unethical. Shame on your friend.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2011 21:20 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #3

Yea, I am personally not that happy with my Sigma 85mm because it makes squeaky sounds when it focuses sometimes. However, I'm sending it in for recalibration instead! :cool:

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2011 21:21 |  #4

danny819 wrote in post #11837837 (external link)
Yea, I am personally not that happy with my Sigma 85mm because it makes squeaky sounds when it focuses sometimes. However, I'm sending it in for recalibration instead! :cool:

Good for you, glad to see you value your personal values more than a few dollars. I guess your friend's morals is only worth the few dollars it takes to ship a lens in for calibration eh?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 13, 2011 21:21 |  #5

So let me get this right, he gets stiched up by Abes, so he then wants to go to B&H and stitch them up? Oh yeah, gee, that's fair isn't it? Sorry for the sarcasm, but why doesn't he just man up and do the right thing and just go back to Abes instead of passing the buck on a merry-go-round of stitch ups?

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 13, 2011 21:23 |  #6

Not only is it unethical, but its criminal. Not only is it fraud, but by using electronic means and mailing it back its a federal case. Probably nothing that would get prosecuted, but still a crime.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 13, 2011 21:24 |  #7

Some stores sell only 'gray market' products, to get their costs lower. Many times, official supplier has product within a serial number range, and the gray market product is not within that serial number range. A store would notice that type of serial number range discrepancy, even if they do not track specific serial numbers of a product which they sell to customer A vs. to customer B.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2011 21:27 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #8

Let me try showing him this thread later and see if he changes his mind. :D
I dealt with Abe's before and they're not even all that bad to start off with.

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 13, 2011 21:30 |  #9

I'm sure they'll check the product as it comes in from a return so its not out of the question that they would also check the serial number against their stock listing. I'm sure you're friend isn't the only person to have tried to pull this on a large department store so that they can get a new lens without having to pay for repair costs or problem on a lens they already had.

So yes that they would check the serial code against stock makes perfect sense (In fact on a high order good like a lens or camera body I'd be very surprised if they didn't check the codes)

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

ShockFactor03
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2011 21:52 |  #10

Regarding ethics, criminal intent, etc., I'm going to keep my opinion to myself.

Have you or your friend ever ordered anything from B&H that carries a serial number, specifically a camera or lens? FYI: The serial numbers are printed on the invoice you receive with your order. This is the case with all of my purchases.

Gear

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2011 21:56 |  #11

Wow...not only is it a criminal offence (fraud), it's an incredibly low thing to do. He's going to screw over an innocent store because ANOTHER store provided what he felt was inadequate service? Shame on him.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 13, 2011 22:00 |  #12

From all my dealings with B&H, they always put the lens serial # on the invoice. So they'll know.

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2011 22:03 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

What a lowlife ! Once I bought a 17-55, which appeared to be fairly used. B&H replaced it with no questions but now I know who creates troubles for the rest of us ! Tell your friend I am coming after him ! What did you say your... um.... your friend name was ?

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2011 22:04 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

LightRules wrote in post #11838089 (external link)
From all my dealings with B&H, they always put the lens serial # on the invoice. So they'll know.

Why did you tell ? You should let the scammer to get caught and face the music.

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2011 22:07 |  #15

LowriderS10 wrote in post #11838060 (external link)
Wow...not only is it a criminal offence (fraud), it's an incredibly low thing to do. He's going to screw over an innocent store because ANOTHER store provided what he felt was inadequate service? Shame on him.

I purchased my 35L from B&H. The only number I remember seeing was the general serial number, the one where if you type in google, it'll link you to the 35L. The serial number my friend was referring to is the one that can be seen on the warranty card and the bottom of each lens!

sponsored links

7,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Stores Taking Note of Your Serial Number?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.