Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Are you satisfied with the AF of the 5D MK II"
Owner - Yes
42.5%
Owner - Neutral
20.5%
Owner - No
15.7%
non-Owner - Yes
5.7%
non-Owner - Neutral
8.8%
non-Owner - No
6.8%

351 voters, 351 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up

digitaljay
184 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 14, 2011 10:42 |  #16

I would be happy if all of the AF points were cross type. The number and layout of the AF points is fine with me, but when shooting in low light I have to go with the center point only.

Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
FstopMiami123
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 14, 2011 10:43 |  #17

Can this issue,if indeed it is an issue be resolve with software?

Armando

Canon 5DSr Canon 5D MK2 17-40 L 16-35 2.8 L Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L Canon 300 2.8 LCanon 50mm 1.8 Canon 85mm 1.8Canon 600EX
www.CollsFineArtPhotog​raphy.com (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 14, 2011 10:43 |  #18

I think its obvious the AF is the 5dc, 5dmk2 shortcomings.

I did a quick family/baby session on saturday and used PW triggered nikon speedlites with softbox and shoot through umbrella. Since I have no modeling lights in this situation I was quite disgusted in the 5dmk2 that day. The outer focus points in the low light that I was in really made wished I had a 1dsmk3 for rock solid outer focus points.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 14, 2011 10:43 |  #19

I don't think the AF is as bad as many make it out to be. It works, I've been using 5D's since I bought my first 5D classic back in 2006 so I'm pretty used to it.

I look forward to it being updated, but to be honest I have more trouble getting consistent focus performance from my 7D than my 5D MKII's. I use my 7D MUCH less, so it could be me, but it's a little scary.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2011 10:46 |  #20

Cesium wrote in post #11840768 (external link)
And none of this changes the fact that I was talking about Canon cameras in my statement. If you want a Nikon, go buy one. The D700 is a wonderful camera.

Yes, it is.

I don't know why people defend the AF system of the 5D2 so passionately. The AF system of the 5D2 is essentially the same as the 5D, which (with the exception of the 6 helper servo points) is about the same as the 20D.

The 60D has a better AF system than any of these dinosaurs.

Canon has a long history of very carefully parsing out various features to their various camera levels. In general, this is smart marketing. If you want somebody to spend $8000 for a 1Ds Mark III you need to give them a reason to pay that much more over a 5D Mark II right?

I just think they got caught a little by surprise. Canon was so used to eating Nikon's 1.5X CCD based lunch that they didn't really didn't see Nikon's level busting strategy coming.

The slow (3 year) cycle of these higher end cameras is why this remains unaddressed. You can see Canon's response to Nikon in the 7D, with more to come no doubt.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2011 10:47 |  #21

own my 5dc for more than 2 years now, had a chance to use a 5DII on a christening on a very poor lit church and i must say its impressive. never used the 580II that day. my vote is "yes"

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 14, 2011 10:47 |  #22

What would be nice for canon to do is to spread out the 9 points and make them cross sensors for the 5dmk3. This would still keep the 5dmk2 as a prosumer body that isn't par with a 1dsmk4.

My comments are based on "thinking" like a canon bean counter. Its obvious a 5dmk3 should adopt a 7d AF system.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2011 10:51 |  #23

JeffreyG wrote in post #11840802 (external link)
Yes, it is.

I don't know why people defend the AF system of the 5D2 so passionately. The AF system of the 5D2 is essentially the same as the 5D, which (with the exception of the 6 helper servo points) is about the same as the 20D.

The 60D has a better AF system than any of these dinosaurs.

Canon has a long history of very carefully parsing out various features to their various camera levels. In general, this is smart marketing. If you want somebody to spend $8000 for a 1Ds Mark III you need to give them a reason to pay that much more over a 5D Mark II right?

I just think they got caught a little by surprise. Canon was so used to eating Nikon's 1.5X CCD based lunch that they didn't really didn't see Nikon's level busting strategy coming.

The slow (3 year) cycle of these higher end cameras is why this remains unaddressed. You can see Canon's response to Nikon in the 7D, with more to come no doubt.

We defend the AF system because it's good for what we bought it for ;) the Leica S2 has only 1 AF point and costs about 8 times as much body only.

The 5D MK II is a studio and landscape camera, neither requires the AF of a 7D, 60D or similar - both would work well with just one AF point - it requires accuracy.
Now obviously if you buy the 5D MK II for sports you will be disappointed, but then you bought the wrong tool for the job. Some people say it should so all well - well, there is the 1Ds...

-> Yes, opinion in the end. But still, a poll should be a decent judge of opinion. If the AF is really that bad the "no" vote amongst the owners should lead by a wide margin, right now it looks like it'll be about even -> which means some love it (good for what it does) and some hate it (expected more, should have maybe done more research or chose the wrong tool?)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2011 10:56 |  #24

AlanU wrote in post #11840811 (external link)
What would be nice for canon to do is to spread out the 9 points and make them cross sensors for the 5dmk3. This would still keep the 5dmk2 as a prosumer body that isn't par with a 1dsmk4.

My comments are based on "thinking" like a canon bean counter. Its obvious a 5dmk3 should adopt a 7d AF system.

-> "obvious the 5D MK III should adopt"... hmm, is it?

To be honest, from all the focus "issues" people had with the 7D because the AF system was too complex from them, I wouldn't necessarily say it's obvious.

Now while it would be a strong point for marketing, and surely a plus for overall performance, I wouldn't necessarily say it's "obvious".

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 14, 2011 10:58 |  #25

I am an owner and the AF is not an issue with me but I may be an outlier as I use TS-E lenses mostly.

The other thing is I only have experience with the 5D and 5DII so I am hardly qualified to say much about AF as the rebels may "blow away" the 5 series in that department for all I know.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2011 11:00 |  #26

DetlevCM wrote in post #11840836 (external link)
the Leica S9 has only 1 AF point and costs about 8 times as much body only.

Why are we discussing rangefinders? Canon doesn't even make a rangefinder.

The 5D MK II is a studio and landscape camera, neither requires the AF of a 7D, 60D or similar - both would work well with just one AF point - it requires accuracy.

I think we'd be dumb as consumers to let Canon try to pigeonhole their cameras like that. I don't want to own fifteen cameras. Let's see....is this my macro camera or my portrait camera? I can never remember...

Don't drink the marketing Kool-Aid. There is no good reason the cheaper 7D should be better at AF than the more expensive 5D2. It was just Canon's usual witholding of features.

Now obviously if you buy the 5D MK II for sports you will be disappointed, but then you bought the wrong tool for the job. Some people say it should so all well - well, there is the 1Ds...

People always seem to think the 5D AF problem is due to 'sports', but I actually feel the biggest place the 5D AF sucks is taking portraits.

I find that when I use the outer AF points of the 5D or 5D2 with fast prime lenses at large apertures (you know, like in portraits - one of the things the 5D should be good at) I get a lot of missing.

And in low light, the outer points give up and hunt terribly.

This has nothing to do with 'sports'. It has to do with events, portraits...things like that.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

tancanon58
965 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2011 11:02 |  #27

I do like very much the 5d2 AF when best combining with 70-200 f2.8 IS II but not so good with 24-70L.

Bodies: 5D MkIII/ Oly ED-M5/ G10
Lenses: Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC /and some Panny and Oly lenses.
Flash: Canon600EX RT.

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 14, 2011 11:08 |  #28

I am an owner and am happy with the AF. Apart from macro (which I don't think any AF does that well) I havn't found something it is not good enough for yet. I may feel differently if I made a living out of my photos, but for me it is good enough.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,310 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 14, 2011 11:10 |  #29

JeffreyG wrote in post #11840802 (external link)

The problem with getting knocked off the top of the hill is that it is very difficult to get back on top. Nikon is not standing still and if Canon tried to match what the D700 has with the MkIII, the will once again get smoked with the D800. Canon has to be aggressive and look beyond their current competition.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2011 11:15 |  #30

its a matter of how you got up from the fall. we will see whats going to happen next.

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

sponsored links

15,269 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.