Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Are you satisfied with the AF of the 5D MK II"
Owner - Yes
42.5%
Owner - Neutral
20.5%
Owner - No
15.7%
non-Owner - Yes
5.7%
non-Owner - Neutral
8.8%
non-Owner - No
6.8%

351 voters, 351 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2011 22:53 |  #61

if i never used any other camera then i would probably be somewhat ok with it.

but since it used a 7d and use a d700 also... the 5d2 really sucks

sponsored links
jasonleehl
521 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 15, 2011 01:21 as a reply to  @ booja's post |  #62

JeffreyG wrote in post #11840886 (external link)
People always seem to think the 5D AF problem is due to 'sports', but I actually feel the biggest place the 5D AF sucks is taking portraits.

I find that when I use the outer AF points of the 5D or 5D2 with fast prime lenses at large apertures (you know, like in portraits - one of the things the 5D should be good at) I get a lot of missing.

And in low light, the outer points give up and hunt terribly.

This has nothing to do with 'sports'. It has to do with events, portraits...things like that.

I totally agree. When I had 5DC and 5D2 side by side, I warrant auto focus wise there is not much of a difference (from a practical experience). In fact, I love the IQ and ISO performance of 5DC & 5D2. Had it not been my shooting requirements (about 80% of my shots are never in the centre), I would never bought the 1-series.

The poorer locking rate of the outer points during paid events, pre-weddings , portraits and weddings prompted me to sell my 5Ds.

Not ranting - but my personal experience.

You're welcome to follow me at Instagram (external link) or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sg (external link)

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 15, 2011 04:38 as a reply to  @ jasonleehl's post |  #63

If I didn't have the 7D I would probably be satisfied with the 5DmkII focusing system. But comparing the 7D's focus system with the 5D leaves the 5D lacking.

What I would love to have on the 5DmkII that the 7D has.

1) Focus points a more spread out across the frame.
2) Useful\more accurate outer focus points.
3) Spot focus mode like the7D has.

Low light focus is pretty good on both for me. Otherise I use an st-e2.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2011 06:03 |  #64

I have both a 5DII and a 7D. I discovered that the 7D needs the spot focus mode since the "regular" mode is inadequate in moderate light. For the life of me I could not get a shot in perfect focus in lower, (not low) light until I switched to spot. I thought all my lenses needed to be MA'd but that didn't seem to help. I have entire shoots where I got 2-3 shots in focus and the rest were off, even though the camera "snapped into focus". My feeling is the focus area is MUCH larger than the square in the viewfinder. Subsequently I learned that spot covers the entire square and the "normal" mode covers way more. This is a recent discovery, for me, so need to re reevaluate the 7D's focusing system further. Never had this issue with the 5DII's single mode.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

quattroatl
382 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 15, 2011 15:01 |  #65

timnosenzo wrote in post #11841729 (external link)
Ehhh, whatever. I know the 7D's AF is fancier, has more points, more options, etc. MY bottom line is I need an AF system that is accurate and gives consistent results. For me, it's the results, not the hype.

In use, I find that my 7D gives inconsistent results particularly using the outer AF points with fast lenses. I can use Spot AF and put an outer AF point right on someones eye, get focus confirmation, and get an OOF shot. However, if I take a few of the same shots and refocus in between them, I usually get some that are in focus. Inconsistent. Now, I know that the 5D's outer points are limited, but considering how advanced the 7D's AF system is, I would expect it to perform better than I have found it to.

I would have your 7D checked if it's still under warranty. I get great results from all the outer focus points. Like many other 7D users, I hardly ever use the centerpoint focus because the outer points are so deadly accurate.

5DII | 7D | 40D | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4L IS |100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2011 17:49 |  #66

This poll and many of the comments are very interesting. Clearly Canon really understands it's market. They understand that there is no need to put in the best hardware in all but their top of the line cameras because 1/2 of the customer base will make up any excuse needed to convince themselves that the substandard performance can be worked around and the other 1/2 will complain but buy it anyway. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2011 17:53 |  #67

gjl711 wrote in post #11850332 (external link)
This poll and many of the comments are very interesting. Clearly Canon really understands it's market. They understand that there is no need to put in the best hardware in all but their top of the line cameras because 1/2 of the customer base will make up any excuse needed to convince themselves that the substandard performance can be worked around and the other 1/2 will complain but buy it anyway. :)

Better yet, when the 5D Mark II was announced, I (a 5D owner) kept my old 5D and bought a 1D Mark III (used) followed a year later by a 1D Mark IV.

So their strategy worked on me. If the 5D2 had a spec sheet more like the D700 then I would have just bought a 5D2 and Canon never would have sold me a 1D4.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 15, 2011 23:41 |  #68

-> Interesting point you two throw up - but I don't think I agree.

No matter how the requirements change, I don't exactly think that spending over 3 times as much on a 1Ds is the logical upgrade path of the 5D MK II.
Besides, the 5D MK II was never a downgrade over the original 5D - the AF was just a continuation of the same technology.

I also don't necessarily think that you can necessarily call the AF substandard performance.
Tell, me, what's the point of having 19 AF points if you only ever use the one in the middle.
-> It does the job it needs to do for the majority.

Yes, a more complicated AF would make the camera more powerful, but I would hate it if I had to spend ages with the manual trying to understand the damn thing... at some points the 9 AF points on my 5D MK II even seem like too much when I scroll through them all because I got lost...

Outer AF points - when I used them they worked well - BUT I didn't use them that often and only on a known contrasty area.

AF point spread - again some people just assume because they don't like how close they are they should be spread further apart - maybe for them, but not for everybody.
Some people may want it, some don't.

Lastly, we live in a capitalist society, so everything will be made as cheaply as possible - even high end cameras. I'm pretty sure that even in a 1D/1Ds Canon WILL save money if they can do so without loosing face/significantly affecting the quality of the product.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 15, 2011 23:45 |  #69

I am a 5D owner, not a 5D2 owner so I voted in the Non-Owner section for No. The 5D2's af system is WAY behind the times. They really should have at least put in all cross types. I hope the 5D3 has a af system comparable to what a camera that price should have.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2011 07:03 |  #70

This is not to somehow diminish the legitimate concerns over the 5D's AF since it could be improved.

For my shooting conditions, portrait, concerts, events, the outer points do their job if you pay attention. I use them a lot along with AI Servo. I get the shots I need with the odd miss.

A lot of the rhetoric, especially the extreme, suggests that until a camera can be pointed willy nilly and guarantee a perfect focus, it is somehow lacking, somehow preventing ones vision from becoming a reality. I can't argue against that sentiment, since the photographer and their vision is what makes a great image and much less so, if at all, their tools. It just seems to me, and I cannot describe it precisely, that some are using the tool as their excuse for their mediocre images. Maybe I'm just getting old but I hear it all around me, daily, no matter what the circumstance....

It's not MY fault, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled program :-)

PS: Maybe this post belongs in the Old Guys thread.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

big_g
967 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2011 17:00 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #71

First of all a comment on the poll. How can non owners have an opinion on a function of a camera they do't have? You might as well ask them if they believe everything they read or not

Now back to the question

I am quite happy with my 5D2 but happily admit that its AF is nowhere near as good as the 7D or 1D but then I bought it for a very different purpose.

Canon make the 1DS for people who want a mega complex AF system. It is very expensive but thats what it takes. I look at my 5D2 as a mega high IQ and well built version of my 450D. It does exactly what I expected it to do.

Complaining about the performance and cost of the 1DS vs the 5D2 is like complaining that your Mercedes C180 is slower than a C63 AMG. If you want the best unfortunately it costs a lot.

Leica M (240), M Mono (246), Summilux 50 f1.4 ASPH, SE 18 f3.8, Summicron 35 f2, Summarit 35 f2.5, Hasselblad 501, Pentax 67ii
Canon - 5D4, 5DSR,1D4, 5D2, 8-15L, 11-24L, Samyang 14, 17-40L, TSE 17L, TSE 24L Mk 2, 24-70L, 24-105L, 50L, 100 L IS Macro, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85L, 100-400L, 180 Macro L, 300 2.8 L IS, 500L IS
Flickr Site (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2011 17:37 |  #72

big_g wrote in post #11863470 (external link)
First of all a comment on the poll. How can non owners have an opinion on a function of a camera they do't have? You might as well ask them if they believe everything they read or not

'Does not own the camera' is not the same thing as 'has not ever owned the camera'.

My impression is that all of the 'non-owner' votes are probably from people who have owned or at least used the camera quite a bit.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 17, 2011 18:07 |  #73

Own the camera the Auto Focus is Ok but could always be better

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 18, 2011 06:47 |  #74

big_g wrote in post #11863470 (external link)

Now back to the question

I am quite happy with my 5D2 but happily admit that its AF is nowhere near as good as the 7D or 1D but then I bought it for a very different purpose.

Canon make the 1DS for people who want a mega complex AF system. It is very expensive but thats what it takes. I look at my 5D2 as a mega high IQ and well built version of my 450D. It does exactly what I expected it to do.

Complaining about the performance and cost of the 1DS vs the 5D2 is like complaining that your Mercedes C180 is slower than a C63 AMG. If you want the best unfortunately it costs a lot.

Extensive research of a topic can make you more knowledgeable about the aspect of an item than ownership of such an item.
At least from the technical point of view.

While I would take "non-owner" votes with a grin of salt with respect to people saying "I would buy it if it had the 1Ds' AF and cost 2000€", at the same time, they are a good judge of opinion.

On this note - whoever owned one and got rid of it should really vote in the "Owned one department".

On this note - this is why I separated the poll. - Interestingly enough, the overall attitude of the non-owners seems to be pretty neutral (as would be expected maybe) and the owners seem to have a very positive reaction to it.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2011 07:02 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #75

I'm an owner and for the work I do the AF system is perfect, I have decent glass and have no complaints..

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Glass

sponsored links

15,023 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.