Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Are you satisfied with the AF of the 5D MK II"
Owner - Yes
42.5%
Owner - Neutral
20.5%
Owner - No
15.7%
non-Owner - Yes
5.7%
non-Owner - Neutral
8.8%
non-Owner - No
6.8%

351 voters, 351 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 19, 2011 04:21 |  #91

rklepper wrote in post #11872022 (external link)
Why would a non-owner be satisfied or otherwise. Makes no sense. That is like me being not satisfied with the Mercedes I do not have.

As I pointed out earlier - research, that can be quite informative, and as others have pointed out: people who owned one for a short time, or even just renting one.

And about cars ;) you could be a passenger ;)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links
cincojoe
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 19, 2011 07:13 |  #92

100% satisfied with the 5d's AF system. Could it be better? Sure but it works fine and the camera has more than Paid for itself in image sales.

Canon | Mac

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2011 08:28 |  #93

JeffreyG wrote in post #11869729 (external link)
Yup, a full half of 5D Mark II owners think the AF system is neutral at best. One in six are dissatisfied. Seems like Canon misjudged the market when they made the decision to leave the AF sensor unchanged from the first 5D.

There's always at least one in a crowd....You're one of those folks who wouldn't be happy or would find something to complain about...no matter what......I get tired of dealing with you guys at work, don't want to here. You're hoppin' on board the IL train.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 19, 2011 08:33 |  #94

HKGuns wrote in post #11872903 (external link)
You're hoppin' on board the IL train.

I have taken a train to Illinois before, but I'm not planning to again in the near term.

Not sure what this Illinois bound train has to do with the 5D though.:confused:

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

eos1
36 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2011 08:50 |  #95

Owned a 5D and the focus never failed me using the CP. Outside was a little hit and miss but if you work to it's limitations it's fine.

It was the weather sealing (or lack of) on the 5D that let me down turning it into a paper weight...

[ 1D MkIII / 35mm f2 / 24-105 f4L / 70-200 f2.8Σ ]
Marty

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 19, 2011 11:52 |  #96

Non-owner / Neutral.
I hired one and put a couple of thousand frames through it over a long weekend. I was shooting landscape but I found the a/f accuracy was nowhere as good as I could obtain using live view. Of course, this could easily have been a microfocus adjstment issue that I didn't attempt to correct.

On the other hand, if I'm using live view and manual focus lenses, what do I really care?

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

DerDembo
53 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 13, 2014 09:40 |  #97

Ex-Owner (4y), Neutral.

I think "better than most people think, but still massive room for improvement" sums up my experiences with the Mark II's AF.

For everything reasonably still, i.e. anything that is still enough to perform a focus-and-recompose with the center point, the Mark II's AF is fine. I never had problems even in low light situations. I took a couple of months to get the focus-and-recompose movement into my muscle memory. Initially I was pressing the shutter a tiny bit to early, adding motion blur due to camera movement.

But once things start to move (think kids, a couple walking down the aisle) and you are unable to use the center point things get nasty. Having performed the switch to the Mark III I now feel like I am in AF heaven.

Aside from moving subjects I found that for me not being restricted to focus-and-recompose added almost a stop of light that I can hold the camera still enough to get decent shots. It's just easier for me to keep the camera reasonably steady with one of the outer focus points on target.

bumbklaatt
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 14, 2014 10:16 |  #98

My colleague has just purchased a 5D mkii and I was actually pretty impressed with the AF given what I've heard about it in the past. Yes obviously the spread isn't great, and the outer points can struggle a little in lower light, but overall I think its much more capable than it's made out to be. I would happily get one as a back up to my mkiii if I ever needed one, and I think at the current S/H prices they're a steal!

sponsored links

15,238 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.