Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Friends kids

bmynbr
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 14, 2011 13:22 |  #1

A friend wanted some photos of her kids to give to her husband for valentines day. Since I recently purchased a set of alien bees, I figured what better way to practice. All C&C would be muchly appreciated
Thanks, Dave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

http://www.treklens.co​m/members/BMYNBR/photo​s/ (external link)

sponsored links
bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 14, 2011 13:23 |  #2

a couple more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 14, 2011 13:24 |  #3

I just noticed the bad PP in getting rid of the creases in the background.

Madboy1827
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2011 13:28 |  #4

I like the shot with the cowboy hat very cute!

~Marc
Canon 6D with Various Canon Lenses

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2011 16:26 |  #5

Those kids are adorable. the baby's eyes are HUGE, love 'em. Ill fitting leotards on babies is one of my pet peeves, and this is where the photographer sometimes needs to guide the parents on this one. Those white leotards are tragic in that second shot, as they are so baggy. Would much rather have seen her perfect little piggy toes, like in the last one, than the baggy white leotards. Still, you got a cute little smile out of her and nice lights in her eyes.

The first shot has nice light in his eyes, but the posing needs work. Sitting on his hands gives an awkward arm crop and being straight on to the camera is a bit passport photo-ish. Maybe you could crop in PP to make a head and shoulders shot? There is nothing that says that you can't pose a kid straight on to the camera, but angling his shoulders slightly to one side and tend bringing his face towards the camera has a bit more style to it. Love his smile in that shot. It is big enough to be pleasant, but not so large that his eyes wrinkle up and you lose the beautiful shape of them. Nice.

Not a huge fan of the black background in that second shot, where the baby is on a white blanket. Very old school and too much contrast for my taste, but that's my personal bias.

In the shot where the little boy is holding the baby, her clothes don't fit well, the bloomers are huge, and the collar is up all over the place. The little boy should have been old enough to hold her securely so you would have plenty of time to prop up the baby, fix her clothes, arrange his hands on her etc. If he is sitting on a stool where he could potentially drop a squirmy baby, you probably had to shoot pretty fast. Better to have him sitting on the floor with a "criss cross apple sauce" leg placement, so you could prop the baby on his thigh. Mom should always be right beside babies in shoots anyway, to help out with the clothing issues, drool, etc. but it appears that she is to one side of you helping to make them smile?

As for the cowboy hat shot, not a fan. hat is too big for her, and the color dominates the photo. She has such pretty eyes, I would rather see that shot without the hat, but that's just me. I love that she wasn't wearing a shirt in that shot though. baby skin is like velvet and I love to see it in photos. the pretty blanket would have given us the clue to her gender, didn't need the hat. Very cute kids.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 15, 2011 19:51 |  #6

Thanks for the comments. He was not into getting his photo taken, and I totally agree about the leotards, but she wanted them on her.
Thanks again for the comments.
Dave

sponsored links

1,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Friends kids
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.